Explosions

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by dexterjester, March 4, 2013.

1. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

Another thing that I feel made TA explosions superior when compared to SC was the immediacy of them. In TA, units died pretty much instantly after the final shot. It gave the impression that that final shot had just ripped through some vial fuel cell, and the whole thing exploded in a messy blast.

In SC, the units seemed to take a while to notice that they had lost their final hit point, consider the situation for a bit, then emit a white flash, and fall over in a genteel manner.

I'm guessing this was due to technical limitations. After all, SC was trying to do a lot more with the graphics, and there may have been sync issues when informing different computers that a unit has just died. I don't know if it's possible on the new engine, but getting that sense of immediacy back would be a real boost to explosion effects as far as I'm concerned.
  2. larsethearse

larsethearse Member

I like what Optimus did with the explosions in his 4th Dimension mod for Supcom FA, keep an eye out for the chain explosion at 3:30 in this video
  3. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

The funny thing is that if you turn off bloom there's some pretty reasonable looking explosions underneath the white flash. It's just the awful bloom system in supcom.
  4. dexterjester

dexterjester New Member

That's quite impressive. I like the little sparks that fly off the explosions. Also the variaty of different kind of explosions is nice.
  5. dexterjester

dexterjester New Member

Totally agree here. Also the fact that the parts that were flying off with the explosion seemed to be the parts that the unit was formed of. In supcom there were some small debris, but it did not have the kind of force and impact because of the lag and the fact that the debris did not fly all over the place. Really don't understand the logic/physics behind TA's explosions but they were really ahead of it's time.
  6. veta

veta Active Member

Explosions in TA were cartoonishly large. I kinda liked it. But I get that it could lag the game when 100s of these large explosions are going off.
  7. rabbit9000

rabbit9000 Member

On the subject of explosions, I still think World In Conflict has some of the best going, even though its from 2007.

And now I have to replay it again because it was mentioned. Silly me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-XsIZpl8ck
  8. rabbit9000

rabbit9000 Member

9. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

While those explosions are cool, there is also an edit post button which is equally as cool.
  10. rabbit9000

rabbit9000 Member

Where abouts?
  11. rabbit9000

rabbit9000 Member

And could you show me?
  12. thapear

thapear Member

[​IMG]
    Look at that awesome edit button-ness!
  13. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

there is a difference between dynamically Simulating bounces and how many bounces you can do and hard coding in something so that pieces ALWAYS bounce so many times between a set of values.