24/7 Live office webcam at uber entertainment

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by penchu, April 4, 2013.

?

Do you want to see live webcams of the development?

1. Yes

31 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. No

151 vote(s)
    55.3%
  3. Don't care

41 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. HELL YES I DO

50 vote(s)
    18.3%
  1. penchu

penchu Member

Hello all,

Sorry if you clicked this expecting a link,

I just wanted to see if anyone else except myself would love to see a backers only live webcam at uber showing the inner workings and going on's of the development office at uber or maybe just a staff cam to introduce all the people working on PA and to give updates at a planned time every day/week.

As we are coming up to alpha (hopefully) I am sure others will agree with me in saying the live streams on YouTube aren't frequent enough which is understandable as it takes time to do which takes away from the actual making.

With the webcam there is no need to stop working to satisfy those of us who want to see the boring bits as its 24/7 :D I will even buy the webcams if it means this happens lol please vote away tell me what you think and add more if u can.

Thanks
  2. mrknowie

mrknowie Member

As a developer myself, the only thing that would be worse than watching development in real time, would be having my development being watched.
  3. antillie

antillie Member

Watching someone sitting at a computer writing code isn't exactly a riveting experience. In fact its pretty boring. Even watching someone create art in Photoshop isn't particularly interesting.
  4. soldans

soldans Member

It's like watching paint dry... Or maybe a bit more exciting... like watching a wet chalkboard dry - in slow-motion...
  5. Daddie

Daddie Member

Well.. I voted no.. but a cam pointing to their coffee machine would be nice
  6. movra

movra Member

7. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Good gracious, no.
  8. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

No way! Do you want that every guy can watch you while you at work?
  9. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

This.

Though being a games company the after hours action might be interesting, but usually it's more concerning than interesting, just check out the Stainless Games christmas party to see what I mean ;)
  10. themindlessone

themindlessone Member

Watching programmers program is almost as interesting as watching paint dry. (as a programmer myself trust me you ain't missing anything).
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Watching a programmer do his work surely is very interesting.
    At least IF you are a mind reader and you care about the stuff that is being worked on and the programmer is way better than you yourself are.
    Especially the mind reader part is important.
  12. crystaline109

crystaline109 Member

That could be enjoyable, just the coffee machine though, close up.

I'd watch that.

But on a serious note, apart from all the other given reasons, no programmer would want you to see their base code. That's how they make their money.
  13. KarottenRambo

KarottenRambo Member

[​IMG]

Seriously, would you like to be recorded and live streamed to the internet, the entire time when you are at work? I imagine its pretty damn uncomfortable (and I bet development would suffer from it).
  14. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_Room_coffee_pot
  15. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou New Member

I don't want to become The Big Brother, nor do I want developers to go under such surveillance, so no.
  16. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

The only thing interesting during development is troubleshooting. It's aggravating for the dev, but undeniably hilarious to hear the sounds developers make when they **** something up.
  17. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Well, yes and no. That sound is usually just:

-----

*expletive removed*ing *expletive removed* it! Why won't this work?!

<10 minutes pass.>

MOTHER *expletive removed*!

<10 more minutes pass. Or 60. Never know.>

I'm gonna kill you, you *expletive removed x100 *piece of *expletive removed* computer!

<15 minutes later.>

Oh dang. I left left this variable initialized and it was pulling in random memory. There, that 10 characters added to the init code fixed it.

------

Wash, rinse, repeat.

;)
  18. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

^^ Sounds like more of my programming woes.

It's worse when you're doing CPU architecture, because those compilers are unbearably efficient at discovering that you've got no input (or conversely no output) and that everything one the chip does nothing and can be simplified down to a constant, hard-wired, result.
  19. elitebomber

elitebomber New Member

At the company I work for, you'd definitely want the cam pointed at the marketing department or the sales and support department. You might get the occasional nerf war captured on the engineering department though.
  20. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

Surely that should be uninitialized ;), of course that's another common cause of pain in the *** bugs, when you misspell one variable for another very similarly named one ;).