For Backers Only: Planetary Biome Concepts

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, April 2, 2013.

1. ximera

ximera New Member

I really like the forest biome! Seems like full of life, with plenty of colorful birds, fawns, and an happy family of the deadliest bots camping behind the corner! The very light green grass seems too vernal for me, I'd like a darker grass. But with this color the difference in luminance between ground (soil and grass) and trees really enhances the readability of the scene.
    It would be awesome to have also an autumnal color-set, but the effort for this is almost like creating a new biome, and I don't mind if the alpha released in spring will have a vernal look while other seasons are released as patches at the right time ;).

I also really appreciate the consistency among the blocky mountains in the different biomes and the icebergs. And love the contrast between the blockiness in the almost lifeless biomes and the seductive swirls in the luxuriant ones.

Finally, someone may be disappointed in seeing only mock-ups and not in-game content, but I think that Steve spent a lot of time on each single shape and color to give consistency and readability to the war field. I cannot imagine how complex this task really is. The fact that they are showing the look and feel of the initial set of biomes to us means that they feel confident enough on the result to ask for comments and to start spending time in the realization of the actual models and textures. This is nothing but a great piece of news! A big thank you to all the Uber devs for what they you sharing with us!
  2. tollman

tollman Member

Thanks for sharing the new art - I think it looks great. Nice to see so many different and contrasting tilesets.

However, imho I also think the swirls are over-done. Both from an asthetic perspective and from a navigation perspective. Too many swirls on coasts won't make it good for for boat/ships navigation i think.

If it was possible to adjust the amount of swirls when generating a planet then I would think that would make everyone happy.
  3. rabbit9000

rabbit9000 Member

I'm all for greenish blue rocks but a Mars biome needs to be red.

I don't know if you played Red Faction Guerilla but the initial starting areas were a fair bit redder than some of the other areas in the game, but consequently felt very other and alien. The later desert and terraformed areas felt very drab by comparison.
  4. fltwrm

fltwrm New Member

The "paradise" type biome really looks awesome. And its beauty makes an awesome contrast to war.
  5. scorch44

scorch44 New Member

:D progress moves on. They are quite easy to identify.
  6. v41gr

v41gr Member

i wish you make daily pictures of your work in progress ^^
    it's really an awesome work. really beautiful
  7. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

I love the biomes well done guys keep up the awesome work!
  8. v41gr

v41gr Member

looks like the uber charge with the medic in tf2 ^^
  9. exampleprime

exampleprime New Member

Looking cool, can we run over trees?
  10. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

It would have to be a very pale blue, as there isn't much atmosphere to scatter with.
    This seems like a legit pic of a martian sunset: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3077395/ns/te ... V1obMq1nyA

Also, NASA itself says the sky is mostly red:
    http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/mer/m ... 16440.html

Where the false color images are used to help find rocks (apparently photoshop makes iridescent green rocks):
    http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/mer/m ... 16441.html
  11. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

That image, is a crop of a mosaic (link), which has been manipulated.
    Mars is red!

[​IMG]

Anyone lucky enough to have visited Outback Australia (aka the "Red Centre") will tell you how strangely familiar that all looks. Myself included. ;)
  12. rabbit9000

rabbit9000 Member

Nice pics thankyou.
  13. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Oh man the metal planet will forever remind me of TA. 4lyf

I love them all, I want to be a millionaire and fund you with additional 5 million bucks.
  14. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Well. Both planets are made of similar materials, have the same sun, and physics tends not to change with distance. It'd be weird if Mars didn't look familiar!
  15. sneakersotoole

sneakersotoole New Member

They look awesome.

+ 1

Sneakers O Toole
  16. zenomaddog

zenomaddog Member

zomg!

I do love those planets already!

How come I didn't see this thread sooner - now I'm drooling!
  17. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

Ice planet looks so lovely. I hope the actual game keep this wonderful cartoon style.
  18. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

Can I get wallpapers based on Biomes image someday?
  19. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Well, hopefully we'll have time to make wallpapers soon, but.. once they're public, the image is high enough res that, for anything other than a high res monitor (2560x1600 range), it will fill almost the entire screen with just a single biome from the sheet. :)
  20. penchu

penchu Member

Pretty please can you make wallpapers for duel screen :D