For Backers Only: Planetary Biome Concepts

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, April 2, 2013.

1. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Placeholder UI is placeholder.
  2. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Oh man, the planets look so good and yes easily identifiable!

So psyched for this game even more now, it will be beautiful destruction!
  3. superouman

superouman Post Master General

This is so good, the aesthetics are just mind blowing.

Tergiverse IV
    Empyrean
    Gelidus
    Lush
    Thalassean
    Temblor
    Core Prime
    Barathrum
    Aegus
    Gas planet!
  4. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

Garat

I think a lot of people would like mixed biomes.

I feel like the mountain biome needs ice caps and maybe the possibility of small amounts of water and ice too depending on the elevation. I am thinking of Banff in Canada. Maybe make it red and martian. I don't think Mars has a lot of ice.

What do you think about ice having a sliding property that makes units slide past their destination target?

Also the Jungle and the beach biome don't seem that different. Maybe we need more details. The jungle could have more elevation changes and even volcanoes like Hawaii.

The beaches could have coral reafs and beautiful stuff like that.

The lava/thermal energy needs to be accessible by the player. Lodes of thermal vents on the Lava map.

Also, and don't take this the wrong way, but I want as much slightly accessible terrain features as possible, so when I see a canyon crack I want it, or a bigger version of it, to be accessible with units. In the same vein I would like all bluffs to be accessible with units via transport or spider legs. I know this may be in the works too and that features shared so far aren't finished.

That's all I have for now. Great work! From the artistic angle I am very happy. I like how some planets are more traditional and some have swirls.

Joke: where is the Scathis head biome?
    Last edited: April 4, 2013
  5. penchu

penchu Member

I love the art style, I don't really care much for photo realism in games because its a game not real life and very rarely I think it should look too realistic because then you need to make different textures for different levels of detail for the less powerful machines... where as this you can keep it looking just as good but maybe without as much anti aliasing so I think the art style is spot on perfect for a massive RTS like this, I really cant wait to see the finished product.

On the Biom's I think that being able to choose the biom on creation of the planet will be great, but other than that it would be nice to have the planets generate depending on circumstances such as size/mass and distance from the sun/suns etc... like Earth is in the goldilocks zone making it temperate with large oceans and is big enough to have a hot core making it tectonically active which means mountains form and has ice caps because its not too warm.. yet... and then there is Mars, It is too far from the sun so its colder, its too small to keep a warm core so its not very tectonically active anymore which means no electro magnetic field to protect tho atmosphere and colder nights etc :D and gas giants are HUGE and far away from the sun and lava planets are small and close to the sun... it would be great to have this kind of structure to generate planets... It would make generating solar systems more realistic and fun to see the results as having a gas giant as the goldilocks planet is just whaaat lol... I am sure all of this has been thought of so I am just saying this to keep myself sane
  6. themindlessone

themindlessone Member

Sorry but the first thing i thought of when i saw that metal planet, was this...

[​IMG]

Now if only it transforms into Unicron in the game that would be awesome ;)
  7. pcbino

pcbino New Member

Here's my view on the different biomes and what they could do - all planets have standard gravity - except for the moon(s).

Desert - High temperature. Strong sun with little or high winds

Forest/plain land (Earth like planet) standard everything

Ice - Low temperature, could be either strong or little sun. Medium winds and no waves.

Jungle - Mud pools. Muddy, high cost for movement for ground units.

Archipelago - Very strong winds and waves.

Mountains - not really sure. Rich minerals/mass deposits/more of them?

Metal (mostly a planet, not as much a biome?) - Low winds, low temperature, low sun. Lots of things to reclaim. Lost tech/structures/units (i.e only special units found on this planet, say a Monkeylord from ancient times) Can turn into Deathstar if given enough time and res.. (Could be SOO cool!)

Lava - High temperature, might include lava rises in small pools around the planet?

Moon (mostly a planet, not as much a biome?) - Low gravity.

Gas (also a planet) - I have no idea. High concentration of energy due to all the gasses?

Other wise, this is cool and I will go change my pants..
  8. FunkOff

FunkOff Member

Thank goodness. I hope it's possible to make an earth-like planet with jungles, desert islands, rocky mountains, forests, and glaciers. That would be really cool.
  9. mortiferusrosa

mortiferusrosa Member

My ultimate goal is to somehow make Earth... as big as possible.
  10. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

We show that in our March 22nd live stream.
    http://youtu.be/5Qyl7h7D1Q8?t=4m16s
  11. kent4ro

kent4ro New Member

the concepts and screenshots look fantastic,hoping you'll come up with a few more biomes and other enviromental addons and perks.

and regarding the swirls

way too many,it doesn't contribute anything in large quantities other than making the planets look like blenders in action.
    much rather see less swirls and actual land/water features.
  12. dmii

dmii Member

1. Rocky Desert (The good kind of desert, way more interesting than a pile of sandhills :))
    2. Forest (most important part: the swirly thingies on the ground)
    3. Ice/Water/Sea (Also a giant sphere lake. This one is getting me wet. ;D ... sorry, sometimes I can't resist making bad jokes. Actually I can almost never resist it.)
    4. Jungle (don't call it rainforest, or environmentalists will be all over this game. Not in the good sense.)
    5. Pile of sandhills desert (There's a lot of water, so this probably isn't supposed to be a desert type, but the sand really pops out. First impressions were desert-ish, so I am writing that.)
    6. Tundra-esque cold place (The mossy bits on the stones suggest that there could be some plantlife. At least if it wouldn't be as cold.)
    7. Reminds me of a thing which had a giant planning failure resulting it being blown up by two shots from a single fighter. 0/10 would not even reclaim
    8. Lava (Very useful for getting rid of people. Replacing the water with lava really makes the good old mafia-style cementshoes fashionable again. More style, less victim remains. Just maybe not so efficient on the carbondioxide front.)
    9. Moon
    10. Gas giants (Inhaling funny stuff never was so easy!)
  13. comham

comham Active Member

I'm getting the same feeling looking at these as I did when I was 7 and playing Total Annihilation for the first time.

Of particular note: the little cracks at the edge of those ice sheets, the moon map, and... is that The Pass in the coniferous forest biome? A windy path through dense trees? :D
  14. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Would hope to see the ability to have sliders for colour, so we can change the colours of the atmosphere, ground and water. As mentioned before, that would allow a Lava planet to be turn into an Acid planet, or a Barren planet to turn into a Mars planet.
  15. dinapuff

dinapuff New Member

[​IMG]

These are my takes. I didn't read any of the posts after the original post. :/
  16. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Which is probably why you made the mistake of equating each single biome with an entire planet. ;)
  17. dinapuff

dinapuff New Member

Yea. There's that too. To be fair they asked for a first impressions thing.
  18. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I think this particular piece of propaganda has had quite enough time of day. I think the real colours of Mars deserve some spotlight these days. Particularly the almost iridescent greenish blue rocks.

[​IMG]
  19. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Mars also has a blue sky when there isn't a dust storm ... just like earth.
  20. Daddie

Daddie Member

Bit offtopic.. but I read "Bogus" when looking at your name :mrgreen: