Steam & PA // Questions, Answers, Discussion

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by peterbusunum, March 1, 2013.

1. Daddie

Daddie Member

I think you do not understand what LAN parties are.. We have rented whole hotels and partied all weekend long where playing computer games was only a part of the party :mrgreen:

Back to the topic at hand, I had difficulties (aka not working) in the past using the "offline modus" of steam when my Internet was down. Again, I like Steam and what it did for the game industry, but for PA I like to have both options: Steam and DRM free.
  2. peterbusunum

peterbusunum Member

Since Steam isn't technically a DRM System, the only way using PA with Steam hindering LAN play is if the offline mode does not work correctly. But this seems to be a rather minor issue if you think about it since it won't happen all the time but sporadically (still it would be a bummer if it did even only once ^^).

I really hope we get to use both a Steam and a standalone Version (not questioning if both will be availible this has been covered, only that we are able to actually activate and use both as a backer.
  3. Daddie

Daddie Member

Well.. technically it is as you cannot run any game without the Steam client installed.
  4. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

lan parties can be consisted of just a few people as well man, I never even dreamed of RENTING FREAKIN HOTELS thats a bit hardcore xD
  5. Daddie

Daddie Member

Way offtopic: Renting hotels aint that expensive. We normaly had around 125 people which could fit exactly in one hotel. I believe it costs around 150 euro for every person, from friday till sunday. Breakfast was provided, lunch and dinner was not which wasnt a problem as the Mc Donalds was across the street :mrgreen:
  6. zurginator

zurginator Member

I'm 99.99% sure you can. Steam does have a fully functioning offline mode, after all. Or at least it did the last time I checked. I'll pull out the ethernet and get back to you.

Want so hard.
  7. xmodx

xmodx New Member

It would seem this is possible in some form as it has been done with some of the new alpha games on steam. For example Kerbal Space program:
    http://kerbaldevteam.tumblr.com/post/46 ... eys-are-up

They gives users the option to opt for a steam key if they purchased the game direct before it went to steam, the game is still playable without steam if you should so desire and still gets all the updates. I would be happy if something like this were done with PA.