Fabber-Cube (Instead of teleporting)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by rorschachphoenix, March 29, 2013.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

So it's exactly like building normally.
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Same mechanic in Stargate actually.
  3. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Depends on whether the show is counted or not. It's never explained in the movie and the show already retcons so much with severe Star Trek envy.
  4. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Hahaha, you're not wrong there.
  5. ayceeem

ayceeem New Member

Who cares about the exact method? What matters is the job it does.

A good rule to writing is: Don't invent new words when an existing one will do.
  6. midnite111

midnite111 New Member

This could be a really cool way to transfer commanders from world to world quickly without having to use the rocket gantry, as long as you have a base on both worlds.

Think of the gate a a dissembler/reassembler machine sort of like the machines in Portal 2 co-op at the beginning and end of each level.

Your commander walks into the "gate", is disassembled, the data on how to rebuild him is sent to the other "gate" and he gets reassembled there. Simple and wouldn't take that much power.

EDIT: spelling
  7. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Yeah, pretty much. Bring a dozen engineers, and go to town.
  8. dude86

dude86 Member

Teleporter, wormhole, 3d printer, Fabber gate, star gate

/care
  9. veta

veta Active Member

10. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Hi,

To make very clear what I'm talking about... here is a sketch:

Attached Files:

11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Ahh! Now I get it.

It is a teleporter.
  12. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

A very fitting kind of teleporter I should say.
  13. apocatequil

apocatequil Member

Exactly.
    /thread

Why are people arguing like he's trying to define new mechanics?
    He's just talking about a cool wrinkle.
    It might effect the economy of planet to planet transportation, minimally, but it's not a paradigm shift...
  14. neuropsy

neuropsy New Member

It would be cool if instead of a cube (or gate) that is would be a tube, where you can see the Tank/Bot be deconstructed or re-built while it drives through. Like a Production line.

Just a small thought

Attached Files:

15. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Why couldn't you just call it a teleporter? That's EXACTLY how a teleporter works!
  16. Cheeseless

Cheeseless Member

I keep flipping the b's vertically in my mind, ifyouknowwhatimean. Though i think that the fabber-cube should be identical for gameplay purposes to the stargate.
  17. apocatequil

apocatequil Member

Because teleporters imply a sort of molecule by molecule complexity. A fabricator would imply a brute simplicity, and these are robots, without souls, without fear of losing themselves in the process, they wouldn't care how fancily or perfectly they got from point A to point B, they have no illusions about being built in a factory for the purpose of war. So to me, what he's calling a Fabber-Cube, would be ideal for them.
  18. rorschachphoenix

Hi,

For the sceptics:

I've never said: "Here is something totaly different than teleportation."
    I've said: "Here is something that is slightly different than teleportation."
    And in my opinion it is different.

How does a Stargate work?

Here is the scene from the original movie:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQe1QxHZuWg

And another sketch, how I think a Stargate works.

Please stop saying a Stargate has the same mechanics. Because that is not correct. (I don't talk about the game mechanics right now).

I have no idea how a Star Trek transporter works. Maybe the fabber-cube and the Star Trek transporter have the same mechanics (or almost the same). It's funny, because it's called "transporter", not "teleporter".

If a unit will be absorbed by a fabber-cube (or whatever you wan't to call it - the name is totaly irrelevant [I call it that way, because it is a cube and there are fabbers inside - logical???]), the metal and energy flows directly into your storrage. The unit is gone! It is converted into metal and energy.
    And during the converting process, a different fabber-cube starts building a NEW robot with the same blueprint and uses the metal and energy from your storrage.

And to those, who don't care: Then please, stop care!
    Because I'm doing this small change for fun. No more, no less.
    It is all about a "cool" style to "teleport"/"transport"/"whatever" your units from one point to another. You don't just click at a unit, then at a gate. And SWUUUPPPP here it is on the other side!
    There is more of a process. And you could see it, if you want.
    And for the gameplay aspect, there is a small period of time you have to wait, until the unit becomes available again. Which is fair, I think. That's all.

And yeah: There are many possibilities, to absorb a unit or to rebuild it. You could drive into a carwashlike tube. Or you could absorb a unit from right to left, from up to down. Or you could even let the unit pass a gate, if the fabbers sit inside a ring and suck the unit up while it drives through the gate.

Of course, a "Stargate" would make it as well. But this is about a "slighty different version" of "teleportation/transportation". And I explained it.
    There is a design aspect -> (cool looking process)
    There is a gameplay aspect -> (waiting for your units)
    There is a philosophical aspect -> (Which was perfectly explained by apocatequil right now - thank you for that!)

Greetings: Rorschach-Phoenix

Attached Files:

19. ayceeem

ayceeem New Member

If the goal of your idea is to be cool, then you fail.

Teleporters are cool; 'fabber-cube' just takes itself seriously.
  20. rorschachphoenix

I will not make any suggestions anymore. Then I don't have to waste my spare time with nonconstructive persons. Thank you very much for your senseless contribution!