A way to make Free-For-All games work?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by eukanuba, August 20, 2012.

1. Mechdra

Mechdra New Member

I want this! :-D sounds AWESOME
  2. gerstorm

gerstorm New Member

I AM THINKING OF A BIG 40 PLAYER MAP where 10 3guys-teams play against each other or 15 2guys-teams WOW :)
  3. xnavigator

xnavigator Member

That's simply not true. Many players play FFAs just for fun and there is nothing bad about it.

FFA are one of the most fun match to play
  4. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

You're going to debate that? Of all the things mentioned in OP... you chose the one with the least relevance to the actual thread.
  5. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

If it wasn't relevant to the thread then it shouldn't have been posted in the first place.

The op used "None plays free for alls" as a argument to support his view, if someone wishes to argue against that argument then that is of relevance to this thread.

If any message here is not relevant to the thread its yours and my answer to it. :roll:
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I generally like this game type.

I could see within reason, a free for all mode being a jump in mode without any clue as to how many planets or enemys you have, and you could have the ability to team up.

It wouldn't be the "scrubby stomping" kind of random that FFA games are usually in these games; Instead, it would be a fun interesting different-every-time kind of random. Where individuals all discover a new galaxy one square foot at a time where there can be anywhere between 3-12 planets and numerous asteroids and moons, and where as they encounter each other they can just hide and take notes on enemies or offer alliances or attack outright, and where defeated enemies can fight to the death or self-destruct or give in and join their attacker.

One note I had a thought about, is whether to set alliances to officially on or officially off. Set where alliances can be made makes it so officially it joins them as one team and both players get a victory at end, or not made makes it so even if players worked together, they could not share victory and one would stomp the other at the end. Would anyone else love to see a lot of Dragon-Ball-Z-Namek-Saga style teaming up and betrayal? Team 1 and Team 2 work together, somewhere in the middle Team 2 destroys all of Team 1's Energy Plants and kills him off by suprise. "Vegeta!!! Why!!!" ~Nappa.
  7. comham

comham Active Member

Restricting player information certainly sounds like it would fix prejudice against the "winning" players. I'm all for that.
  8. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Free For Alls are amazing and carried many RTS games to their fame. OP was dropped on head as child.
  9. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

From page 2:

I'll edit it into the OP so that we can ignore this non-issue.
  10. midnite111

midnite111 New Member

This could actually really awesome, random FFA, one time you could be in a match with about 5 others, you know a shorter one like 1/2 hour to 1 and 1/2 hours and then the next match you play could be a massive 20 player match that take 5 hours... So cool.

But the lobby system should be kept as an option in addition to this, for playing with friends.

EDIT: repeats
    Last edited: March 30, 2013
  11. xnavigator

xnavigator Member

+1
  12. sporemaster18

sporemaster18 Member

Yes, just yes, GREAT suggestion.
  13. taihus

taihus Member

Despite not agreeing with the OP's opinion of FFAs, I think this gamemode has the potential of being as fun as hell! There's nothing out there like it!
  14. sabetwolf

sabetwolf Member

This reminds me almost of Sid Meier's Civilization (take your pick). You don't know about anyone until you come into contact with them. I loved this, and I love this suggestion. All for it
  15. plink

plink Active Member

Sounds like a good idea to me.
  16. sumo0

sumo0 New Member

I like it.!
    I would especially like to see the replay after such a game to see all the wars i did not know about.
  17. hyperion13

hyperion13 New Member

Another way could be enabling (before the match) that the last two players would survive/win the game, which creates random/changing teams and conspiracys during the game. And also this would prevent those boring 1v1v1 standoffs where the attacking player looses.

So you could call it a 'real' ffa with the importance of diplomacy and intel like in Civ. ;)
  18. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

+1. FFA is my favorite :twisted:
  19. xj4966

xj4966 New Member

This is brilliant. Not knowing your enemy to this degree across that kinda scale could make an incredibly fun gametype.
  20. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

This gamemode would synergize really really well with Galactic War. You start off with four armies contesting neutral territory, unbeknownst to each other. Then they all scout one another when they try to capture the Doomsday Machine metal planet in the center of te system; but there is already someone there! Now they all have to work together to dislodge the player controlling the Doomsday Machine.

And just when they think they'be finally overwhelmed the defender; "Ballistic Missile Inbound" sounds across all of there HUDs as a jet black antimatter rocket slams into each of their primary bases. Now all 5, defenders and attackers, are stranded on the metal planet, forced to rebuild in the face of a mysterious unknown threat!

Ohhhh I love it. This should be implemented the moment orbital gameplay is working.