hand to hand fight units

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by v41gr, March 23, 2013.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I don't like the idea of planes crashing and doing damage, why not just have it like in TA where the planes shatter when killed?
  2. numptyscrub

numptyscrub Member

KEWS, the proposed Kinetic Energy Weapon System to be mounted on a satellite for this very game (assuming it doesn't get dropped), is exactly what you hate; dropping stuff on people to break their toys. Falling damage from orbit.

I understand exactly how annoying it is in SupCom to have stuff broken by wreckage, especially since wreckage gets a free pass through shields. Bombers can't bomb you through a shield, but their smouldering corpse can apparently pass right through :(

Having said that, dropping planes on stuff to damage it is not only realistic, and intuitive, but has been used IRL in several deliberate instances ("divine wind" pilots in WW2 are the less controversial instance that springs to mind). You need to apply handwavium to not have falling wreckage cause damage, especially heavy wreckage.

Last point; when your defense works perfectly is not a state that should really occur in a balanced game. The point of "counters" (hard, soft, whatever) is to ensure that no one tactic is unbeatable, so that the game doesn't end up in a stalemate where all players have their perfect defenses up and nobody can win. I prefer to think of falling corpse damage as the counter to a really efficient AA build; sure they are all dead, but those corpses still have kinetic energy and it's going to get dissipated somewhere ;)
  3. rabbit9000

rabbit9000 Member

+1 to everything you've said.
  4. Nelec

Nelec Member

That's boring, in Supcom I loved seeing aircraft being shot out the sky one by one, leaving them as reclaimable wreckage. It adds a more gritty feel to the whole AA thing with crashing units being able to deal damage with their fuselage.
  5. igncom1

I don't have a problem with the wreckage, but the damage because to me that just means that you have paid for a unit and a kamikaze bomb, and its really stupid for a unit to have that kind of suicide ability when massed.

Keep that to a specific unit designed to do it.

And fortunately we won't have czars to do this a well, i would take planes being vaporized over damage when crashing any day.
  6. Nelec

Nelec Member

I so guess you want to see some sort of physics feature in the game when planes crash? That would be cool, to see planes collide with building and break apart. Not necessarily cause damage.
  7. igncom1

Indeed :cool:
  8. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Because if they shatter there's no wreckage to pick up. Seems a bit silly to remove a defining trait of the game, no?
  9. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

I'm pretty sure there will be KEW defense, like it the kickstarter video, just like there is nuke defense. There should be a defense against the ability to place damage anywhere from anywhere.

Nukes have anti-nukes, against artillery you are encouraged to have base redundancy so you have time to go find it (because it can't be THAT far away). And its generally to inaccurate to hit the exact target.

tac missiles had tac defense.

And token damage is cool. What i'm against is the side use of people hitting important semi-hard targets with an unstoppable cannon that is to far away for you to do anything about. It might be a simple matter of inaccuracy in the unit cannon so that you can't place damage where you want to. At the end of the day your opponent should not be able to pay x mass to destroy any of your structures without fail. He should have to pay x mass to get something he can use to get to that reactor and blow it up.
  10. bobucles

...Why? Throwing money at your opponent sounds like a FANTASTIC way to LOSE.
  11. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

you are missing the point that if you do it at a clutch moment it can win you the game. And conversely your opponent loses the game because you did something he couldn't see and that had no defense.
  12. bobucles

A lot of clutch things can win you the game. Hell, killing a single unit can win you the game.

How is a high risk, clever victory a bad thing?
  13. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

because its not really high risk, its high cost certainly but is it so much to ask that an opponent not be able to blow up any building of his choosing just because he has the resources to.

A clutch moment should happen because one player made a mistake and the other play capitalised, not because you built a structure that can use a cheap tactic.
  14. bobucles

And yet that's entirely how asteroids work. Put an engine on a rock, and ram a bunch of stuff into the planet for massive collision damage.

What you describe is basically a VASTLY inferior asteroid attack, on nearly every single level. It's not going to be any more of a problem than a bunch of falling rocks (which gift money at the same time).
  15. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

and yet, you have those defense missiles that can destroy the asteroids...
  16. thechessknight

thechessknight Member

Consider this, I am scouting my enemy and notice he has a truly massive force of T1 raider bots. I decided to build the T2 Heavy tank although in vastly inferior numbers. this tank gives me a chance for victory due to his area of effect cannon and the ability to run over smaller units. I am thrilled by how well this plan works and decide to spam them. When I make my push into his base the vast numbers of my heavy tank work against them selves. now the area of effect cannon is to short ranged to allow the more rearward units to attack. The turrets cannot be ran over as they are to tall and planted in the ground. The area of effect cannon actually damages my units more than his. because the units in the rear are firing at targets near the forward units.

The point is that all armies need a mix of units to handle a variety of situations. Close combat units and Malay units (units that can step on and run over smaller units) provide a larger verity of scenarios that can be used in your strategy.

Further more Uber has already mentioned that units will be able to run over the wreckage of smaller units. Why not run over the smaller units as well?
  17. xenomorph555

xenomorph555 New Member

SAMURAI BOTS!!!!
  18. meltedcandles

meltedcandles Member

A knight's armor is not 8 inches thick, because metal can't stop metal that's moving fast well. that's why Kevlar is used instead of metal suits, its a series of mats that stop metal that is moving fast better. Also that much metal armor is hard to put on/take off. :x
  19. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Kevlar doesn't stop explosions, and any armour that can would be impervious to any kind of melee weapon. Short range weapons like plasma streams yes; but actual melee, hand-to-hand weapons would be beyond obsolete in a robot war.
  20. antillie

antillie Member

I would really like to see a Kevlar vest that can stop three high velocity rounds that all hit the same spot in rapid succession. That is why the M16 has a three round burst fire mode.