Formations

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by snezzey, March 25, 2013.

1. snezzey

snezzey New Member

Hi,

I am new here so i'm sure someone somewhere has asked this type of question so i apologize now.

On watching the latest Live Stream about the movement and flow fields a few questions popped into my head.

My questions being how would formations work. I'm a SupCom gamer rather then TA so i will attempt to explain using these as an example. In SupCom 1 when you right clicked with a group selected they would move to a location stopping in a boxed formation. My first reaction was to hold right click and rather gives me the field target system. In SupCom 2 holding rather gives me the ability to direct my formation once reaching the destination.

So in what way will these be implemented within PA? If holding the right click activated a range attack system (unsure of best way to explain it or the proper name) then is there any way to change your formation.

Cheers,
    Snez.
  2. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Short answer? They don't know yet. They have ideas and Elijah probably has a pretty good sense of where he'd go to implement formations, but the simple answer is it needs to be iterated out - try something, tweak, try it again, tweak, etc, until you end up with a clean, clear result that works well.

We DO know that formations in Supcom didn't work that well, and that Zero-K's line-drawn formations works pretty well. How that translates for a flow field system with an HTML5 UI is something nobody knows until they actually put it into action.
  3. snezzey

snezzey New Member

Cheers mate :) thanks for the quick answer