Has anybody talked about force fields?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by puga1999, March 22, 2013.

?

FFs?

1. Yup.

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Nope.

18 vote(s)
    81.8%
  1. puga1999

puga1999 New Member

See title...
    If, link thread plz...thx
    And if not, vote in the poll,
    puga1999
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I don't, what's a force field?

Or rather, which SPECIFIC Implementation of a Force field do you mean?

Mike
  3. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Is there any other?

Since today's cast was about pathing, I'll assume he means "things that interfere with pathing in some way".
  4. elitebomber

elitebomber New Member

I read that walls were a confirmed feature. Hopefully it's similar to dragon's teeth in TA where you could use them to block paths and also protect structures from most ground attacks.

Maybe he is talking about something like shield generators in SupCom.
  5. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

I don't like Starcraft II's forcefield implementation. I can see a sort of forcefield projector structure existing, perhaps functioning as a gate which can be toggled open or closed. It might also work as a wall projector which can have sections destroyed, but which restores them automatically after a period of time.
  6. calxllum

calxllum Member

To me I feel like force fields would also be a nice anti-asteroid feature, from the look of the trailer it turns out missiles aren't every effective. But a large shield that would help absorb some if not all of the force. At the same time it could be used to block fire(Like in star wars) fire as in lasers missiles. And each laser or missile using a bit of the stored energy that could regen/cost actual energy res. Another could be just blocking units, everyone or only hostile. Another could be killing enemies. Lots of things a force field can do. So I like the idea, but it depends on which force field really.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

FFs in SC2 are fun. However I don't want to see lots of such active abilities in PA.
  8. Gruenerapfel

Gruenerapfel Member

Forcefields are just REALLY powerful, but easy to mess up.
    They will certainly add alot of micro to the game, wich cant handled by AI, so definetly dont want them.
  9. branly

branly New Member

In my opinion (and Mavor has mentioned this clearly in the livestream) this game isn't going to be like Sup Com 2. This game is going to be awesome and unique. I don't realy know what you mean by Force Fields but pushing units away because a big unit is coming through is just a bad solution for path finding. Flow Fields is in my opinion the way to go.
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

11. branly

branly New Member

Lol thanks for clearing that up :p. Looks more like a dynamic wall. Would be useful but don't know how it will function on a much larger scale like PA.
  12. tankhunter678

tankhunter678 New Member

As a possibility, they can be used as a type of wall segment system. Instead of having to fill in every single spot between A and B will wall pieces, you build generator pylons at A and B and they automatically link together. With the option of clicking on one of the pylons and then clicking another to turn on/off the wall.

This was actually how walls were done in an old game called Dominion: Storm Over Gift 3 which was built using the G-Nome universe. In that game instead of having the player build every single wall segment piece by piece walls were instead generated between turrets and pylons. They were powered so if the base power went down, they went down as well.

PA could use this: They would be an impassable energy wall that is itself indestructible but variable in length, in order to take down the wall you have to either destroy the connecting pylons to disable it, or force the enemy player into a power stall. It would give the player a cheap fast way of building walls that are less time consuming, with the benefit of allowing the owner to be able to simply turn off the wall to allow their army through, rather then having to blow up their own walls, if they decide they want to move through an area they had previously blocked off. Downside is, that it is easier for an enemy to deal with the wall to move their army through as well, without having to clear a large amount of wall segments to make enough room.

Another application use is that they can be used as gates when combined with normal physical walls, since you could turn them off to let units through.
  13. Gruenerapfel

Gruenerapfel Member

like this Idea. I do think tho, that some sort of units hsould be able to pass trough or disable the wall temporarly(lategame)
  14. tankhunter678

tankhunter678 New Member

Given that you could always use air units to just destroy a pylon supporting the energy wall, there is no need for a special unit to disable the wall temporarily, when destroying the pylon is a much better solution.
  15. Gruenerapfel

Gruenerapfel Member

not a special unit, furthermore a unit type, like commanders, or emp weapons.
  16. superouman

superouman Post Master General

No, just no.
    One of the main reasons I stopped playing and making maps for starcraft2 because of the forcefield. This kind of anti movement ability isn't needed in PA and it's the last feature i want to see in this game.