Modding platform

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by bubba41102, March 24, 2013.

1. bubba41102

bubba41102 Member

I have wanted to make mods but have had trouble learning programming or learning how to program will PA's modding program be more of a ui than coding?
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Can you explain more what you mean? I think we can expect something similar to what was seen with SupCom Modding.
  3. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Though, from what I know, modding might require a knowledge of Javascript.
  4. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

That would probably only be for UI modding. The format for unit and script modding isn't confirmed as far as I know.
  5. bubba41102

bubba41102 Member

yeah i just cant find a up to date java tutorial it would be nice to have a ui where you can mess with stats and add models and other things without having to get into the nitty gritty of coding and the ui would do the coding you just have to make the models and set the peramiters and abilitys
  6. chirmaya

chirmaya Member

That's actually one of the things that I am planning to create, depending on what their existing format is. I feel that it would be a good step to making modding more accessible, and allow for people to make those very simple mods, like "Nukes Have a 4x Damage Radius" or things like that.
  7. bubba41102

bubba41102 Member

kind of but it could expand to more complicated things like adding units and buildings ut the person using the ai would have to make the units and buildings and ability effects but the program itself makes the file and makes it actually work
  8. thapear

thapear Member

There will not be modding tools provided by Uber themselves. Any tools for editing unit stats will have to be community made.

(Aside from the integrated map generator.)
  9. puga1999

puga1999 New Member

I liked the way Blizzard RTSes did it. They made their own scripting language for maps and made an editor program for it, where you could add/edit units, skills, items, the map and endless number of other things...
  10. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Not sure if it's just a typo, but Java != Javascript.
    The best way to learn is by doing - I suggest you try and create some web pages on your local computer (just create a text file, rename it to have .html as an extension then start coding) and try out some simple things.

See http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp for a tutorial and reference to the language.
  11. hath995

hath995 New Member

12. bubba41102

bubba41102 Member

i explained that i had trouble learning java it wasnt something that i could learn but i want to mod so that is what the fourm is about
  13. hath995

hath995 New Member

Well as far as modding goes. Essentially, it is programming. You can't really get around it. It is possible that the Uber guys will make some things simple files where you could change values and settings. That limits the type of mod you can make though. However, as far as I've heard they are only exposing an API to make mods with (meaning their won't be a tool just hooks for programmers to use).

It may be possible later that other users will make tools to edit the game with but that will take time and then you'll have to learn how to use the tools. You'll have to learn something to make mods any way you do it.

Simple programming really isn't too hard. Anybody can do it if they spend time doing it. Very similar to riding a bike and learning to write. Try following some of those links. Take a look at this https://www.khanacademy.org/cs/tutorial ... ing-basics
  14. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

It's not Java it's Javascript - they are different languages. Which is easier is debatable though, but don't go learning Java, as it won't help that much ;)