It's okay to like Gears Of War: Judgement

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by sorewawatashi, March 22, 2013.

1. FireflyJenkins

FireflyJenkins Active Member

Re: Is GOW:J good?

Perhaps it's just me being closed minded but DBNO was one of the key features that made gears unique. Not too many games had it, and it was nice to possibly be able to get revenge.

I know they had a new team working on it, People Can Fly I believe, same people who worked on Bulletstorm, and I will admit, some people don't like change, me included. I was more disappointed in the fact they simply made a new gears game. They said is was going to be a trilogy, and I've always thought making a prequel was a cheap way to keep the franchise going. Like Halo 4, in saying that Halo was a trilogy, a 2 part trilogy.

I will admit, Gears had terrible hit detection. You could get domed by a shotgun from 2 meters, and completely eat bullets from the same shotgun after a 2piece. But it was a part of the game.

Since I haven't played it, opinion doesn't really matter. You said, he said the aiming and shooting is refined. What about the movement? Half of fighting in Gears was wallbouncing to dodge the people shooting at you. Is that still the same?

I'm not against the game, and the first opportunity I can to play it, I'll take it. I'm just not too interested in the story. Gears 3 ended the main story for me, and I've read two of the books, so I don't need too much backstory.
  2. tehemopenguin

tehemopenguin Moderator Alumni

Don't you know that every game with a Sniper Rifle is a clone of CoD? ;P
  3. eternalist

eternalist New Member

good job disregarding all the other changed features:
    -Two weapon loadout. Not only this, but the weapon switching is faster, so there is no more threat in switching weapons mid battle
    -No downs. Pretty much removes the little amount teamwork that GoW had
    -Grenade hotkey. If I'm not mistaken, you even SPAWN with FRAGS. I mean, seriously? you can just lob grenades around without a care in the world, so there goes any threat of having to equip grenades. You can't even plant them on walls anymore, which was a good feature about grenades.

I'm probably missing some stuff, so I'll have to look out for that when my brother plays the game. You may ask why I call it a CoD clone. Well, maybe I was a little harsh on that part, but when you see **** like this in GoW it's easy to assume so. They honestly made the game less unique from other shooters, and that's not something you could possibly want.

Now that I mention it, I did not see the longshot in judgement ONCE. Why would they remove one of the most memorable weapons from GoW? It baffles me.
  4. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

It's something dumb kids want.
  5. FireflyJenkins

Damn, more changed than I thought. I can only hope you're wrong, Eternalist.
  6. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

None of that changed how the game plays. At all. Two weapon loadout, meaning Primary and Snub Pistol and a Grenade slot. You can change them up but again it doesn't change how the game plays at all. No downs. Downs were a rare thing in Gears. Also it was a cheap thing in any mode other than Execution. Grenade Hotkey is a change many Gears players will need time to adjust but it's fine. Also you CAN still plant grenades they just changed how it's done. It's no longer a 1 second animation that auto sticks a grenade somewhere. You have to have the grenade swinging than you can plant them.

Again none of that changed how the game was played.

So you are saying the only unique thing Gears had was Downs, Pickup non-smoke grenades, and a changed weapon loadout system? So the roadie running, weapon pickups, cover system, dodge and roll system and unique weapons makes it just like every other shooter?

Longshot is still in the game. Along with the Oneshot and a new rifle, the Markza.

Like I said very little has changed in the game.
  7. sorewawatashi

sorewawatashi New Member

GOW:J is pretty darn fun to be honest. Gonna pick it up this week before heading out to FR.
  8. eternalist

eternalist New Member

I wish I was wrong.
  9. DeadStretch

You are. Well besides the fact, opinions, man.
  10. eternalist

eternalist New Member

Well this stuff is coming from someone who liked the first GoW multiplayer the most. I really dislike the changes they made and feel that they were unneeded. People who enjoyed Gears 3 more than the first 2 will most likely enjoy judgement, however I feel the people who didn't enjoy 3 as much as the other two (like me) won't.

After seeing 3 and judgement, I can't say I want to keep following this series. I at least hope it doesn't change TOO much.
  11. FireflyJenkins

It wasn't even supposed to be a series. I liked the Gears 2 multiplayer the best, and I did actually enjoy the story. I never did like some of the things in Gears 1. One shot active downing people with the Longshot? God, so cheap.
  12. aflyingtaco

aflyingtaco Member

"Is GOW:J good?"

No, it's awful
  13. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

GoW is one of those games I never played, but it looks like it's doing a Halo and starting to add unnecessary sequels and subtitles to keep a series alive.
  14. infinitycanvas

infinitycanvas Well-Known Member

I've played a couple of GoW single players and really hated the story. It wasn't so bad, but there were a few things. As a game, though, GoW is probably the best on console. I love how it did reloads and hope more people copy that in the future, more than two guns, a handful of interesting weapons. Cliffy was a **** but he knew how to make a good game.
  15. eternalist

eternalist New Member

The only time that really happened was during longshot battles. They were great on gridlock.
  16. DeadStretch

One shot active downs with the Longshot happen all the time.It was so bad a lot of lobbies had the Longshot switched out. Usually with a Torque Bow or Hammerburst.
  17. FireflyJenkins

God.
    The Hammerburst went from a ******* poop shooter to one of the most annoying things that will down you in seconds. But yeah, Longshots weren't rare. Even during sniper battles, people were scumbags.

And speaking of scumbags, the ease you could kick people for no reason in Gears 1 was also great. Nothing like running to kill the guy you downed only to get kicked by him because he was the host.
  18. sorewawatashi

sorewawatashi New Member

I think it's a little cheesy to throw down a stim grenade and instantlly heal yourself when you've clearly been outgunned. Stupid gimmicks.
  19. emb4

emb4 Active Member

Why are you dissing games you have never played. You do this to everything

On topic, is only two weapons really such a bad thing? In other gears i always wondered why grenades had their own slot, I didn't think it was unique, I thought it was sluggish. And since you can still replace your pistol with another primary I dont think it's such an issue.

Also maybe it's just me but 99% of the time in gears multiplayer when you down someone your going to kill them half a second later.

I wouldn't say it's dumbed down, they just cleaned up the experience a bit
  20. FireflyJenkins

I suppose it really comes down to personal preference. One thing I did like about downs is the occasional shotgun battle. Cheaply downing an enemy then challenging them to a shotgun battle was always nice and an honorable thing.

I'm confused, if you can switch out your pistol, have meatshields been... nevermind you can't down people anymore. Wait wait wait. People can't be downed anymore, does that mean executions are gone?