For Backers Only: Megabot Experiment

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, March 14, 2013.

1. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Quit putting words in my mouth. I never once said that I dislike the concept of Mega-Bots. In fact I've gone to great lengths to (mostly) always state that I don't dislike them. I can go and find the quotes if you like.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Exactly, once is enough buddy we don't care how you would like to say it another 3 times because it's all the same thing.
  3. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

You act like the other side of the fence is doing something different.

Edit: I created a thread to talk about Mega-Bots and FOO strategy, giving information and not taking a specific stance for, or against their inclusion... and yet you tar me with the brush of "He opposes Mega-Bots 100%". Which is not true.

It's shocking to see how little you actually read my posts.
    Last edited: March 20, 2013
  4. shriekbob

shriekbob New Member

For me, I'm not fond of the scale, I actually think its too big, but it has brought a scale question in general to me. The water unit scales for the tier 2 units are massive compared to the tier 1, this makes a clear distinction between the two, very clear. The same can, seemingly, not be said for the bots and tanks whose scale increase I feel is too small. I would think that the big bot should be half way between where it is now and the commander, and I would make the tier 2 tanks and bots about that size too. Obviously that means your super unit isn't really "super" anymore, but until you made said "super" unit I hadn't really considered the scale implications of the massive ships.
  5. syox

syox Member

well maybe try it with different sizes of the same model, so we can compare.
    Meanwhile i thik i could really be bigger x2 or x4 times
  6. exampleprime

exampleprime New Member

I don't see why people want this megabot to be so big

I mean have you people actually thought how daft a megabot four times the size suggested would look standing on a planet? On a moon?

Its size is what it is because it would look ridiculous otherwise
  7. swordy12345

swordy12345 Member

If your going to have a big robot make sure that he is a "I'M HUGE SHOOT ME" by fighters and land units with a increases in attack range.
  8. RCIX

RCIX Member

9. megrubergusta

megrubergusta New Member

The two lances at the torso were weapons?
  10. movra

movra Member

Hm, I was convinced those were its reproduction prongs.
  11. TheVeteran

TheVeteran New Member

I think its a great idea, I love that its bigger then the commanders. I have alot more to say but only if people want to hear it.
  12. megrubergusta

megrubergusta New Member

Or rails, because his shoulder weapons are artillery and he needs to compensate the rebound? See paint-skill-picture below (sideview)

1: standard position
    2: getting ready to fire
    3: fire, rebound, getting back to standard position

Attached Files:

13. movra

movra Member

Recoil rails? Team Uber really thought about everything! :lol:

The suggested megabot is about 40 meter tall, then daftbot would be something like 160 meter.

Meet Metroplex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyW5KMMDjZw

There is no consensus on Transformers sizes. One source puts Metroplex at 4828 m, a Japanese Comic Bom Bom article 800 m and a Marvel U.K. Transformers comic says 212.8 m.
  14. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Scale is relative, the point that was trying to be made is that PA, with it's 'smaller than actual scale' planets and even smaller moons and asteroids, a tall Bot(Long tanks too) could be awkwardly disproportional to the point it damages the player's experience.

Also a couple pages ago someone said the SupCom unit scale wasn't exponential, it was;

[​IMG]

Mike
    stuart98 likes this.
  15. syox

syox Member

Ok now i see it is definitely to small.
  16. Oelfrachter

Oelfrachter New Member

Why does suddenly everybody take the image of the megabot they posted so damn serious?
    i cant even count anymore how often they said: 'This is very early footage and not representative at all. It's only there to make us remember which kinds of units we want to add. They are so to speak placeholders' (This is very freely quoted but you get what i try to say). I bet they already regret that they have given us an image...
  17. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

The did ask for opinions and comments. :p
  18. Nelec

Nelec Member

The super units thread was the whole reason this started anyway, they want are ideas on it, and we are giving them.
  19. M4CC4M

M4CC4M New Member

I like the idea! The scale feels almost right, maybe 5% larger. It would be nice to have different sizes next to one another to get a good gradient.

When I saw the image I thought, "man that would make a great exo-suit for the commander!". And, why not!? Robots inside robots - upgrade - it's what I'd do if I saw another similar looking commander in my galaxy.
  20. elazarger

elazarger New Member

I think that is quite the idea. Why not borrow from the Dreadnought idea of Warhammer40k? The tactical task of the "Super Dude" is eliminating T1 units and AA with a high power gatling gun. So basically it stops the enemy from T1 rushing. Maybe Super Dude can have one big gun with a fire rate of one shot per 5 seconds or so.