Direction of the game

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by rorschachphoenix, March 15, 2013.

1. rabidchoco

rabidchoco New Member

I'm of the opinion that "Megabots" or "Experimentals" are pretty much unnecessary. I mean, their purpose is to be big, flashy and showy.

You know what's already been promised that also falls in that category? Smashing planets together. (Probably not in those precise words, but...)
  2. megrubergusta

megrubergusta New Member

That is the problem when you include a lot of "outsiders" (the community) into a project. Everybody imagined the game a little different (besides awesome) when we saw the concept trailer.
    People with the same opinion about a certain point will form a camp. But they can be of opposite opinion about another point of the game.
    As mentioned before Uber just has to be true to their vision and everything will be fine. They wouldn't have released the whitebox if they couldn't imagine them in the game.
    But it is a good move to gather early feedback from a lot of people to shape your vision in the right direction.

I like super units. They make the game special to other games which don't have them.

Some people like it to be big, flashy and showy. :D
  3. ironjawthestrong

ironjawthestrong Member

Especially if it's to rub-it in your opponents face. ;)
  4. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

Uber is extremely experienced in game development, I very much doubt that they would put something into the game without testing how it plays, which means I'm not concerned with whatever they decide because I know that they will have tested it and made sure that it plays well which is all that really matters. It is good that they are listening to our ideas and opinions though as it will give them lots of things they could try to see if it improves the game, but I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if they actually included something that didn't play well just because we asked for it.

In short, Uber know what they are doing, don't fuss over the details, just let them make it the best they can and all will be good :).
  5. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Yeah... you're right. :|
  6. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Details can come later.

I feel like I'm in limbo, just waiting for the Alpha to hit us. I need to get a feel of how this game will handle before I can do anything except theory-craft.

Maybe we could talk about the least developed part of the game; the lore?
    Or the oft mentioned (specifically by me), tonal direction of the game?
  7. megrubergusta

megrubergusta New Member

Oh yeah that would be very interesting. That would also explain the metal planets and their purpose (if I remember correctly). And at the moment I'm more excited about the first screenshots of the game than the alpha (they said in the latest stream that they're nearly at the point of showing them).
  8. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Chris Taylor said he built TA for himself. Any spiritual successor to TA would have to be the same; made by the developer for the developer. That's the reason PA gained so much traction: it was bringing new things to the table, but still remaining true to what made TA great.

Edit: As for lore, if you can *actually* make a story that isn't shallow as a kiddie pool, I will send you a hug and a kiss.
  9. megrubergusta

megrubergusta New Member

I'd love to try it, but I'm more the fantasy type and my English skill isn't that suited either.

But spontaneous there could be two approaches in my view. Completely imagined, giving you some more freedom in the lore. Or based on our world in the far future. That would explain the ship bridges. The same robot pool could be explained with the whole copypasta in our time (everyone copies from the others, resulting in the same technology everywhere). That would be more for people who need a "realistic" base for stories.

Just two ways I would approach the lore.
  10. nanolathe

I'm a guy if that makes any difference to you :p

In any case I was already giving backstory to the 4 Backer Commanders. Mr Mavor released a little information on "Progenitors" (in that they are a thing that exists... or existed) and so I'm getting that to fit in with the Lore of each one... Makes the "Progenitor" Commander seem that much more important now :lol:
  11. syox

syox Member

Whaaaat? Lore tone :eek:

Zzzzzzzzz......

Wake me when we talk about interesting stuff :twisted:
  12. nanolathe

From a post over in General Discussion
    I don't want a waste of time.
  13. godde

godde Well-Known Member

I don't get all the fuzz about megabots. The battleship we currently have in the unit lineup is bigger than that and we will be able to control frikkin DEATH STARS!!!

By some reason people are all into mecha and that. Its' like they wanna dress up like a huge walking deathmachine themselves and stomp all over the place.

Edit:Well I would like to dress up like a huge mech and stomp all over the place but that is besides the point. :roll:
  14. movra

movra Member

[​IMG]
  15. megrubergusta

megrubergusta New Member

Well I guess that's because we already have battleships (in real life) so they are nothing "special". But a freaking giant robot? That's worth a discussion :D (beside the death stars)
  16. calmesepai

calmesepai Member

Love the camera around the neck to complete the look