PA Blog Update: Sprinting Along ; March 16th, 2013

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, March 16, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Read the section specifically on deferred lighting. It was the best article I could find that gave a decent high level of what it is. There's a lot of white papers you can find, but it's pretty technical. Ask Neutrino for more details though, because I only kind of understand it at any technical level.
  2. freemangl

freemangl Member

Just love to hear deferred rendering engine!
  3. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

Hope we will see some gameplay footages soon, I'm really curious about how the UI works, especially the camera controls part.
  4. x3kj

x3kj New Member

Fabber ... somehow this name reminds me of those open source / do-it-yourself 3D printers ^^ no idea why.
  5. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Wooo that means game play video's won't be too far off :D
  6. Aelreth

Aelreth New Member

That sounds like a bus throw.
  7. syox

syox Member

Timeswitch incoming?
    Edit: I looked it up rimeswitch is 31.3 so it should be 22:00. As usual.
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The US had a timeswitch of their own already.
  9. garat

Yes, we are already on Daylight Silliness Time, so actually, the UTC may be -9 at the moment? Rather than -8? Not sure if/when UTC makes the switch to DST.
  10. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Can I suggest you start using the Event Time Announcer on timeanddate.com to avoid any confusion?

Here's one I prepared earlier:
    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/f ... T13&p1=234

Note: If it doesn't auto-detect your time-zone correctly just click "Change Location" above the right-hand clock.
  11. syox

syox Member

+1
  12. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

Well, do it like me.
    Open your browser at 8PM and go to http://de.twitch.tv/uberchannel/new then wait until 9PM or 10PM. Meanwhile you can do other things.If you hear the stream starting, watch it.
  13. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

This is cheating! #Rage
  14. syox

syox Member

If you follow the channel you get a mail when they start.
  15. mbdtf

mbdtf New Member

Hey Garat,

In the development update you mention the team uses a "light agile process"..Would it be possible to include some of the sprint goals and long term goals in the documentation video? As a student I would be very interested to see how a game company uses these methodologies to create a product.
  16. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

this would indeed be a very interesting insight
  17. garat

We plan on filming at least a few of our sprint review meetings, and I'll be continuing to write more blog entries about it, though I'll probably use my personal blog for the production detail, as that's a more limited audience that's really interested in that.

But yes, our process and how we get things done is absolutely going to be a part of our documentary.
  18. elitebomber

elitebomber New Member

I'm interested in this as well! Do you use Atlassian products (Jira, Confluence etc.)?
  19. garat

We use Atlassian, though our setup is basically Greenhopper on top of JIRA. This keeps the amount of manual entry to a minimum, and Greenhopper does a great job of auto-calulating burndowns, time spent, and other stuff you normally have to spend a lot of time manually entering, and typically just annoys teams. My attitude has been for a long time that if it takes more than 5 - 10 minutes a day, it's too long.

I was reluctant when I started testing out JIRA again, but it's made massive improvements in the past few years, and while I'm still a fan of Hansoft, that particular product is also prohibitively expensive, and also really aimed purely at producers/project managers, and not team members.
  20. elitebomber

elitebomber New Member

Yea JIRA is pretty cool with GreenHopper. The agile gadgets on the dashboard make it really easy to visualize what the current release/sprint looks like. Also integrating with SVN is convenient too when you can open any issue and see the source code committed against it. We rely on it quite heavily.

How are Alpha/Beta users going to submit bugs as they find them? A JIRA extranet would be pretty awesome, but due to license issues it's probably not feasible.