Magic Box - Idea

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by x3kj, March 13, 2013.

1. x3kj

x3kj New Member

I've just found out about the game by accident, consumed every interview/media about it and preordered :D
    Anyway, i saw the screens with the weightboxes of the models and that kind of pandora box and had the following idea:
    What if you could conceal (small) buildings with it - about the same size as a turret. Or even units. If the enemy sends a spybot/plane over your territory, he might see the location of the building, but not what it actually is. It could be a small generator, or it could be an anti-ground turret, or an anti-missile system/whatnot.

The way i imagine it is, that you could put the box over the building, and if it is a turret or something like that, it suddenly opens if there is an enemy in range - the box folds open. Like a surprise-party-gift for the enemy.

It only works for buildings that are relatively small, so you can't hide a factory under it or something like that. If it was a number of units, you could put them in there as if they would be a garrison.

As drawback it could take some extra seconds until a turret for example is able to fire (unfolding animation takes time, turret can't fire immediately). The boxes require additional ressources and time to build obviously, and get destroyed by small amounts of damage (only concealment, no "armor"). If generators connect, to storages/other generators (like in SupCom) they could lose that ability if they have the pandora box ontop.

Maybe even give the possibility to build them empty, to fool your enemy. Maybe even an ability to disable/enable auto-activation (so turrets don't automatically reveal themself when an enemy is in range). The scoutforce that comes in may be only shot by 1 turret, but if there is a large force coming in, you could activate all boxes and suddenly *tada* nasty surprise. Although he could counter it with light aoe damage destroying large amounts of boxes with ease.
    Hope that makes sense.
    Cheers
  2. mrperson

mrperson New Member

interesting concept, another thing they might be able to do is hide small turrets underground that pop up and shoot when an enemy gets close.
  3. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

Actually, with today's Tech, those TA pop-up turrets could actually look different for each player.

Like a cloaked turret that pops-up to shoot.

mmmmms, cloaked turrets :twisted:
  4. sturm532

sturm532 Member

good idea but i still want to see the old Doomsday machine from TA
  5. lordbritish

lordbritish New Member

Pop-up turrets were around in TA. I'd like to see a return in PA, even if it doesn't necessarily mean they're concealed. I like the idea of buildings that can bury themselves underground, like the supplies in Starcraft 2.
    The question is though, which buildings would be able to conceal themselves and would they gain a benefit from doing so? Would they get a defensive bonus when 'concealed' and how easy/hard would it be to identify a concealed buidling?
  6. mrknowie

mrknowie Member

I like the idea of keeping the box as a wall segment (which it was supposed to be, and is kinda what I thought when I first looked at it), and have a separate unit with a pop-up-turret and the same "packed" model. Then it really would be a "mystery box".
  7. hearmyvoice

hearmyvoice Active Member

Mystery box is actually experimental coffee machine.