Super Units Being In The Game

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by stevedaman1228, March 8, 2013.

1. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

I do not want to see the super units as superior version of normal unit (aka Krogoth), but want to see the units have very good and special ability another does not have. Such as the unit can resurrect others from wreckage (Necro in TA), PARK, The mobile regeneration field generator or even EMP weaponry which another guy mentioned before. (Something is not that destructive but very annoying to enemy).
  2. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Wow. Ledarsi's on the ball. He's looking dangerous.

The justification for refusing most large units carries a large competitive bias. Things which shrink the strategic decisions or limit your options are going to hurt that aspect in the long run. Don't get disheartened. The modding world is a completely different place, where the rules of grumpy old men don't apply.

So do a bunch of silly stuff and create obscenely crazy units. When it comes to having big, stupid, fun units, download all the mods* and go nuts.

* Monkeylord DLC, now for $0.99.99.2!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Starcraft had a ton of extra units in its editor that never made the cut for the main game. If Uber finds itself with a unit they aren't quite happy with, it's easy enough to pack it on the side as a mod.
  3. defy89

defy89 Member

I'm clearly not really used to forums. I don't understand always assuming the worst.

Why not just take it easy! Relax and maybe get to play a game that isn't exactly the same as a previous you've played. hahah
  4. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

The way I look at it is that the most passionate people are going to be here participating. This means that sometimes things are going to get negative and potentially heated. I'll tell you right now it's not any different in the office, sometimes things do get very loud indeed.
  5. KarottenRambo

KarottenRambo Member

"THAT WAS MY BACON, SORIAN!! GODDAMMIT!!!"
  6. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Or better yet, JON! THATS THE WRONG BACON EXPLOSION! I ORDERED THE CHEESE!
  7. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

the forums have been pretty doom and gloom. Strong negative feelings are the ones that usually compel a person to post, for every complainer there's several hundred contently waiting people. Myself included :mrgreen:
  8. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

LOL, Steve is always so quiet during the live streams, next time let him yell at you? lol

Seriously though, I liked the experimental units in SupCom... but if it is not the best fit for a huge scale game like PA, then so be it. I am leaning back, waiting for the alpha and then make my statements. :)
    For me, the unit cannon or the planet drive is some sort of experimental unit for me. If we could just get a few more of that kind... that would be awesome.
  9. neutrino

I would argue the word super unit is too overloaded. If super unit means Monkeylord, then I'm not a fan of that kind of unit. If super unit means a space elevator, a kew satellite or an asteroid then I'm in.
  10. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

I would love to see passive super units. Mostly huge buildings and devices that take 8 eras to complete and cost more than Bill Gates to build but if built can create awesome scenarios for a game ending.

Nothing like a huge nuclear bomb destroying half of the galaxy, something passive that will slowly but steadily give you an advantage.

And then blow up the entire galaxy.
  11. neutrino

Yeah, I have some ideas here.... we'll start with giant battle stations.
  12. chrishaldor

chrishaldor Member

All of the this
    Things that are unique are good, big ol' battlebots are just another tech tier, one that's incredibly hard to balance economy-wise, mostly due to the inherent long range of big ol' battlebots (See fatboy)
  13. dude86

dude86 Member

So for galactic warfare, how bout a missile that causes a supernova as a last resort for a system. ;)
  14. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Can always have super units via modding :3

[​IMG]
  15. Nelec

Nelec Member

I am not too bothered about super units just yet considering they would be pretty hard to maneuver planet to planet. But (and I am so sorry for mentioning this game) but I did enjoy the mechanics of the experimentals in SupCom 2, how it was much easier to crank out 'super units' and were easier to use in a battle, even if they were easier to destroy. I think this sort of super unit, would fit in much better into the game, if they decided to incorporate them.
  16. ChillAAA

ChillAAA Member

Fully armed and operational i hope!
  17. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Hey, if the US government won't make them, PA will!
  18. Nelec

Nelec Member

neutrino for president :D
  19. jungleelf

jungleelf New Member

I really like powerful units. Units that give you a decicive advantage in terms of power in a given situation. It's cool to have something smash in the door and go crazy with the inventory (cut down defenses and destroy much or all of a base/outpost). It should not be invincible just very powerful. It creates a momentum of surprise and tension because you never know if or when your oppoent sends that terror machine into your direction or if you are able to build that cost intensive unit to make a statement. Are you able to hide the construction of this critical unit before the opponent tries everything to prevent it's completion? It also needs a lot of strategic planning of resources and unit building, scouting and stealth. I LOVED SupCom's Experimentals. They made a statement and were wonderful to watch. Maybe "super"-units don't have to be that powerful but they should clearly distinguish themselves from normal units.
    I am, in turn, not positively exited about smashing planets. I might be the only one in this forum but I just don't like the idea. A planet is an ecosystem full of species and just because one species doesn't get along with the other one doesn't justify annihilating all life of that world. Ok, guys, I know, it's just a game. Nobody (I hope so) does like ripping people apart but so many enjoy playing Doom, Quake, Crysis and co. I know. I just wanted to make a point of this. Our stupid species is terrorizing the planet in terms of stripping it of all recourses, poisoning the air, sea and soil, killing all unwanted animals in the wild, caging and horribly killing millions of animals every day to decadently feast on vast amounts of meat, doing horrible experiments on animals after making them helpless....
    and then playing games of wholedestruction for the fun of it.
    Accuse me of being shizophrenic because I really like RTS wargames. I think it's just a notch too much to happily drool over the destruction of whole planets. I know, I won't change this feature and this is not my intention. It would be cool if some just take the time and think about it.
  20. Nelec

Nelec Member

In SupCom/FA, I think a lot of people liked the experimentals, but because this game is going to be on a much grander scale, they are not going to very practical. It was hard enough trying to move an experimental from your base to the enemies in FA, mainly because they were just so slow, and often ended up falling behind your army. Sometimes this can depend on the map yes, and I know about the attack formations commands that you could do, but even with that it was still a chore, and did take away some fun out of the giant mega units that experimentals are.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I enjoyed the SupCom 2 experimentals much more, because of there practicality and ease of use. Not to mention the flowfield pathfinding(think that's what it's called) that made it much more enjoyable to use these armies efficiently. This is why I am not hoping for super units per say, but I would some variety.