No space battles?!?? :*( so very very sad....

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by blizz003, March 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blizz003

blizz003 New Member

but all kinds of satellites, right?
    so why not some kind of orbiting gun platform (that just happens to look like a space ship) that can maybe jump to nearby planets under its own power?
    why would you bother fighting in deep space anyway? that seems too fair.
  2. whiskeyninja

whiskeyninja Member

They have to have something to add on in the expansion. :D
  3. scifiz

scifiz Member

There is some orbital units, including weapons, but I think they said it'd massively increase complexity to put space battles in the main release.
    The game is going to have mod support so even if Uber never do a space battle expansion then the community could try.

4. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

The point of this game is to recreate the TA feeling but on a planetary scale. Space battles have nothing to do with the initial gameplay so its reasonable not to expect or want space battles.

Space battles are reserved for Sins of a solar empire and similar games
  5. sinewav3

sinewav3 Member

I don't think space battles would work the way you wan't them to with what ever kind of orbital mechanics we will have.
  6. cobycohodas

cobycohodas Member

Dude. Mods.
  7. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

No space combat and spaceships in the sense you see in normal Sci-fi RTs games will be present in the official build of PA when it is released! How ever modding will be powerful enough to most likely add it in your self in a mod if you are that way in inclined.

This has been known for quite some time now. People really need to take their head out of the sand so to speak. A Search for Neutrino in the forums will generally tell you everything you want to know.
  8. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

The reason they didnt do space battles is because making space battles any good would require them to make 2 games in one (normal planetary combat being 1 game and space combat being another game) and there funds are rather limited (Kinda the reason for one tech-faction and aloot of other stuff too).

It didnt have anything to do with the fact that they didnt have space battles in TA (at least as far as i know), its a spiritual successor, not a remake.
  9. dffmmm

dffmmm Member

Orbital gun platform, you mean like an asteroid on which you can build giant engines, nuclear power plants and unit launching cannons?
    Oke so it's not really looking like a space ship we know, but how do we know that somewhere out there is not an robot army traveling on asteroids?
    Last edited: March 9, 2013
  10. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

Do these people not realize they are pledging towards a TA/Supcom like game?

Space battles have no place in a game like this, even at a planetary scale.
  11. JWest

JWest Active Member

Play Sins of a Solar Empire of you want your space battle fix. It's a great game, and has insane replay value (seriously, those maps are ginormous).
  12. blizz003

blizz003 New Member

im not talking about SINS scale space battles here... i can wait for some sort of StarWars vs StarTrek mod. But traditionally there's always been the 3 or 4 factory types... now they've added the orbital one. so now there's land, bot, naval, air and space things...(if im viewing these screenshots correctly) you can win a game with mostly just one type of the first four... so why wouldn't you be able to win the game with massing only orbital/space units too?

just the naval units in space essentially. that'd be a cool upgrade to the battleship... turns into an orbital defense platform... jumps into orbit above an enemy commander on a nearby planet. nukes away.
  13. defy89

defy89 Member

If you really really think about it, why the heck would the commanders even drop bases on the planets surface if they can just use their ships to bombard the planet, if their ships can't bombard the planet why not? Seems a bit of bizarre.

You could give a lore reason of "oh they need to get energy and mass to help maintain their ships" but then the focus is being put on the fleets again.

So really you would end up with a game that won't resemble the kickstarter.

I understand what you want, you want an rts space game that allows for seamless ground land drops. I always wondered why this was never attempted in starwars games. The simple reason is probably it costs way too much to make and make it work well.

Empire at war was the best attempt at that idea as far as i'm aware and the ground part of the game seemed to be the worst part, if i remember correctly. Clunky and not really much imagination to it, incredibly small maps. No seamless drops.

The reason for all of this? To be build a game like that you need a lot of money. I remember people loving the "look" of the fleet battles in empire at war but it became obvious that it wasn't exactly a hard game or particularly deep game.

Whereas this game is quite different.

Solution?

Keep posting the idea of what would make for an amazing rts game everywhere you can on the internet and maybe if you're lucky some crazy guys will try and make it. :D

Also for anyone who wants some good old sci-fi fiction, read the culture novels their awesome. :D
  14. NortySpock

NortySpock Member

You know, since this game is going to be so moddable, maybe us fans could come up with a mod pack for PA.

Dude, Iain M Banks came out with The Hydrogen Sonata just this year. It's not that old!
  15. Nelec

Nelec Member

I have to agree with the majority of people posting on this thread, space battles just don't belong in this game, and to be honest, I think it takes away that epic SupCom land battle feel away. Maybe I am just too TA nostalgic.
  16. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

Space battles are a can of worms I don't want to see opened in PA, I think a lot of people are underestimating how big of a change that would be and I don't think it would be a change for the better, sure it would be cool but it's unlikely to play well. If you really want space battles there's a Homeworld kickstarter at the moment that's trying to get the money to buy the license to the Homeworld games so they can then release them on GoG/Steam and make Homeworld 3 as well as a tablet version of the the original.
  17. Alcheon

Alcheon Member

its an issue with a lot of sides, and with pros and cons for both and its proly depends a lot on how you define space battles in a gameplay context,

So lets define "space battles", is it space battles in the sens that you build large fleets and send them out ino the universe or is it space battles as in small groups of units that fight only in the orbital layers and only long enough to land large transport ships full of ground forces?

if its the former that you want then you may be disappointed by this game, that large fleet aspect of space battles is not what PA is about. including large scale space battles away from the orbits of the planets would shift too much focus away from the core gameplay elements, too much time would be spent teching up to build space fleets too no purpose and then the ground side would be ignored and gameplay would suffer, or the whole space fleet element would be ignored completely as it served no gameplay purpose.
    either way it has been previously stated that this is not a direction that uber will be heading down with this game.sry.

with the latter option the space battles or orbital battles become another barrier to overcome in order to bring the true core ground gameplay to other planets, in the same way that naval units and air units separated the different gameplay realms of the "ground" based game in previous RTS titles, space becomes just another medium to travel through like the sea or air of a more traditional RTS Title, you would build your army and move them to where they were needed, just the same as if you started on an island in a TA or SUPCOM match.

This is the style of "Space Battles" that i hope too see in PA, not true Scifi style space battles that you might see on TV or n games designed around space battles, but a more "faithful" extension of the same mechanic as used in Naval or Air warfare of the previous titles extended to cover the close orbital regions of the planets and moons.
  18. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

If you want to go to...

[​IMG]

...then I suggest Sins of a Solar Empire!

(Its not in the scope of this game)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.