Revealed Units [04/05/2013]

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Raevn, February 28, 2013.

1. cobycohodas

cobycohodas Member

Re: Revealed Units

Boats & Subs are the most awesome looking of the unfinished units... only thing missing is a few more naval options for destruction which I reckon are coming!
  2. nuendo

nuendo New Member

I agree with this, same applies for the aircraft too, they don't have cockpits, right? :)
    However I like the simplistic ship design.

My idea:
    A ship with big bertha (oooh yea, TA!) herself mounted on it, for a big cost, ofc. would be really cool.
    I imagined something like an UBER canon mounted on a ship so big that the vessal itself would need support platforms deployed to not roll over when firing. Just like big cranes have for the industry. I guess it could also be an idea for big artillery land units.

I think commands like "deploy" "undeploy" is simple enough to not cause hell of a micro management when playing a game on a scale like this. Like you have the option activate and deactivate certain machines/factories with high sustained energy cost (for TA, that is).

Really high cost, slow moving, slow deploying units which would also consume high energy for firing, but also to cause massive destruction once finally set up.
    Anyway I'm pretty sure you guys already have plans of making something like this :mrgreen:

Also, I am pretty tempted to ask. What are the plans of Intel units (ships/aircraft etc)?
  3. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

4. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Updated Satellites:

5. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Updated with information based off the latest livestream (http://www.twitch.tv/uberchannel/b/375309908)

- Plane on far right confirmed as a Transport
    - Octagonal structure identified as Orbital Weapons Platform
    - Large rocket gantry is T2 Orbital Factory, smaller structure below that is T1 Orbital Factory
    - A "Gas Mine" (resource structure) was mentioned, but not shown.
    - There are no Tactical Missiles.
    - Lots and Lots of Bacon.
  6. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Re: Revealed Units [09/03/2013]

Fear the dreaded bacon world, where the land itself is a resource and everything is covered in grease. :lol:
  7. scifiz

scifiz Member

I thought they said this was a placeholder for an orbital weapons platform.

What I don't get is why classic mono-hull for all the ships? Why would these robots never consider the catamaran or SWATH? (latter is what the stealth ship in Tomorrow Never Dies was)
  8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Again, not all units were present.

Mike
  9. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

The current US navy has nothing like a missouri type battleship when it comes to projecting artillery power. Artillery is fun. The game is meant to be fun, playing with giant robots. There is plenty of room for all kinds of units. Maybe we'll do a stealth ship that looks all edgy.
  10. tduff

tduff New Member

The thing labeled as 't2 metal extractor' looks like a giant heatsink for a geothermal generator. From context it makes sense that it is a metal extractor, though.

The bridge on a ship is for lookout purposes. Just because it is a giant robot doesn't mean that the sensors wouldn't work better if they were higher in the air.
  11. scifiz

scifiz Member

I never meant to imply I was assuming it was all of them. I'm well aware it's not all of them, I was watching the stream plus I also considered that a couple observed structures in the concept video aren't on it.

Nice to know you aren't ignoring the design. So many games set in the future still seem to rely on basically the same design that we've been using for centuries inspite of newer designs.
    (And who hasn't wanted to be a Bond villain now and then?)
  12. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I'd imagine this has more to do with gameplay, fun and readability than bad design. Modern militaries involve weapons firing from incredible ranges, being hit before you know you're a target, etc. etc. This doesn't translate that well into an "awesome" RTS.
  13. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

So here's a question - do I duplicate this thread in the General Discussion forum (Obviously in future being careful to not include anything there that isn't yet general knowledge)?
  14. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Last edited: March 16, 2013
  15. x3kj

x3kj New Member

edit - never mind, answered to a post written long time ago :roll:
  16. zurginator

zurginator Member

This is for readability. Sure, I can come up with any design I want. But if you separate it too far from what we currently have, it becomes unbelievable.

I've done several incredible and logical alien designs, but when it comes down to it, players push against strange designs --- especially if you're supposed to relate to it. That's why you keep seeing humanoid aliens everywhere.
  17. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Re: Revealed Units [03/04/2013]

Updated with new unit pic from the thread "For Backers Only: Planetary Biome Concepts" (viewtopic.php?f=64&t=45107)
    - Textured T1 Tank image
  18. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Can't agree on that. Looks like an out-of-scale assault-bot, but not like a scout at all. If i hear scout, then i expect a bot with large legs, small torso and no arm mounted weapons, more like a running bird. It's not even fixed, that we would have bot AND tank/vehicle scout anyway, could as well happen that bots turn out as pure support role / T1.5 / T2.5.

Well, this doesn't look like a tank to me either. It's just four-wheeled vehicle with no visible weapons mounted. Obviously qualifies as scout, but i wouldn't call it a "tank".

I also wouldn't call the corresponding factory "tank factory", that term is quite limiting. It's more a factory for all types of ground based, wheeled or tracked vehicles and should therefore be called "vehicle factory". I mean, you don't call the "bot factory" a "mech factory" either although all bot like units we have for now are classic mechs only?
  19. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

This is initially classed as a scout as it is substantially smaller than the others. For now, it's easier to refer to it as such rather than "T1 Bot A" and "T1 Bot B". As with most things, it's just a guess until we get more info. Scouts can still be armed though, but you're right it's an assumption that bots have the same roles as vehicles (as in, they can be used independently). It just occurred to me that the bots have cockpits/"heads". Not sure why.

"Tank" in this reference is simply a class of unit (like "Vehicle"). There's been no word on what "Bots" and "Tanks" (as classes) are officially called. I think I'll change it to vehicle though, since you're right about some having wheels. I took the part on top to be a single barrel turret.
  20. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Hold overs from designs originally made by these "Progenitors" we've heard tell of.

Pwus, deir widdle heads are cute.