moving stuff

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by boy42, March 5, 2013.

1. boy42

boy42 New Member

Sorry about the ambiguous title but i could not think of something better.
    My question is simple; how are you meant to transport things like warships or aircraft between planets.
    Lets say you were landing on an enemy planet that mostly consisted of water. No matter how you tried you would probably get annihilated as they would simply send massive, powerful battleships to the area and bombard you to death.
    It get worse when you consider nuclear weapons and defense satellites as they would bombard you to dust.

So how to balance.
    I have few suggestions. First some sort of 'interplanetary exporter' could be built quickly and cheaply, but would require enormous amounts of energy to teleport objects. It would work on the principle that you would dock your ship into one on one planet and then it would take in a gargantuan amount of energy to use for 30 seconds (more or less depending on the size of the vessel). Once complete you would have a new ship on this planet.
    A similar thing could be used to move airplanes across planets.
    For the problem of nuclear weapons, orbital weaponry (don't you just love the sound of this game) or even super massive artillery a balance must be reached on defenses and offence forms of combat.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

We've had a few in-depth threads on interplanetary travel already;

Topic Index

Uber hasn't really confirmed anything in this regard.

Mike
  3. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

There will be variety of ways and teleportation will be one of them. It might take an immense amount of power to move an entire army though. It's possible we may go for power based on distance or something along those lines.
  4. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

STARGATES.

MAKE IT HAPPEN.
  5. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

With the rotating symbols and everything? Where is Daniel Jackson when you need to figure this **** out.
  6. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Here he is!
  7. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

1+ for Stargates ;)

We definitely need more Stargate in this game. :D
  8. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Warp Gates would be a good term for PA. An Experimental way to go from planet to planet/Moon/Asteroid without the use of rocketships :p
  9. zachb

zachb Member

I guess as long as you have to build a gate where your units are being teleported to as well.

One of my favorite ways to get units around was that noah unit cannon. When defending you can usually tell where the units are being shot from. And It'd be nice to be able to take some pot shots at incoming units with anti air turrets.
  10. KNight

KNight Post Master General

As I said back during the Galactic Gates Thread, I don't like the idea and I think it's very one dimensional if there aren't other options in terms of long distance transportation.

Mike
  11. syox

syox Member

I really like the idea of manning the asteroids.
  12. krashkourse

krashkourse Member

would unit collisions happen and cause wreckage or would they simply walk through things? I would hope that the pathing issues of many RTS games would shine brighter here and be more fluid and less blockie like things are a bunch of cubes in a round jar.
  13. noex

noex New Member

Warp Gates, Gateways, Stargates, etc should be included. They were in TA but a balance for them could be high energy usages per mass sent and distance. This was true in stargate it took likely a nuclear power plant to power the stargate for use in a galaxy and a zpm for inter galaxy usage. They should require gates on both sides and I'm split weather it would be better to have separate networks or have it all be one network. If they are the same network all you have to do to defend is build defences around your gate.

I'm not sure about a teleporter like in supcom. Unless its just for a commander, i do like the idea of him being a one man army. But moving an army from a to b bypassing all defences is op unless you know a head of time where they are going to land.

Other uber transport methods

1) Air and sea transports. (sea can carry more like in TA)

2) Rocket ships able to move a single unit or maybe a few for t2

3) Unit Cannon for ground to ground transport and ground to high orbit, ie moons and in orbit roids

4) Maybe a inter-planetary t2 unit cannon with limited range (having to wait until your orbits near)

5) Warp Gates see above

6) Space elevators for ground to orbit transit for free to roids, platforms, or close moons. would also be cheaper to launch a rocket from a roid than an elevator as there would be less gravity and no atmo. roid and moons as space stations or mobile war forts and not just space nukes would be awesome, i mean uber.