please dont call it ..

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by syox, February 14, 2013.

1. lophiaspis

lophiaspis Member

Fabbers?

Ah haha, ha hahaha.

Ha ha ha, hahahaha.

Good joke.

Fabbers?

Ah hahahaha, ha haha.
  2. thapear

thapear Member

I really dislike fabbers. I constantly think of mass fabricators, but even if I didn't, I'd much prefer engineer or Construction Vehicle/Aircraft/Kbot.
  3. vahilior

vahilior New Member

I think that whilst people don't agree on what they should be called, the number of people suggesting alternatives is perhaps indicative that people are not keen on "fabbers". That said, I think the irony is if they had always been referred to as "fabricators" people probably would have started calling them "fabbers" without a second thought. Still leave the community to create their own nicknames and call things by their full name in the Unit names. I'm sure the units in the referenced novel's full name is fabricator, so leaving people to choose the same nickname of their own volition is a better reference imo.

On the other hand, if you do call them just fabbers then they must come with an emote replicating this:

[​IMG]
  4. thorneel

thorneel Member

Thapear has a point, "fabber" evokes more Mass Fabricators than a builder unit. Also note that Mass Fabricators were dubbed "mass fabs", not "mass fabbers", and I'd guess that a Fabricator unit would be dubbed "fab" instead of "fabber" as well.
  5. void2258

void2258 Member

Just as long as they do not follow Culture naming conventions. Unless they have gravitas.
  6. CrixOMix

CrixOMix Member

I don't like "fabbers"

1. It's not official. I like it when games have a sense of humor, but it shouldn't be shown in the unit names.

2. As many have said, I think of metal fabricators. Yes, it's from a different game, but NO, people will never be able to forget metal fabricators.

3. It sounds lame.

Constructors is a much more official basic term, albeit not original. If it is going to be something original, don't make it a nickname. As others have said, call them fabricators. We'll make the nickname fabbers if we want. Don't do it for us.
  7. krashkourse

krashkourse Member

Metal Makers sounds much better
  8. syox

syox Member

We are talking about engeniers here. Neutrino wants to call them fabbers :)
  9. xcupx

xcupx Member

Assembler!

I also want replicators, and stargates...
  10. taihus

taihus Member

If it has gravitas it does not follow Culture naming conventions. :D

I vote for "call them fabricators, then the community will end up calling them fabs anyways".
  11. xcupx

xcupx Member

Agreed, that was one thing I hated about supComm 2. I mean seriously, who names a fighter-bomber a "weedoboth"?! That pissed me off.

That being said, fabricator is fine. If you use assembler then the shortened version is ***... "I'm going to send in some ***'s to reclaim those wrecks." So that actually isn't much better.

+1 to
  12. ayceeem

ayceeem New Member

I do see a point here.

When you look up unit descriptions, one is usually officially called a "medium tank", not a "med tank".
  13. krashkourse

krashkourse Member

med tank sounds like a healing unit or a medic
  14. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Okay guys I am Croatian. It's a slavic language. English is germanic. Please be kind to me and my fellow slavic people and choose a name that can be pronounced.

That being said, Fabricator is awesome. Fabber is an alright nickname, easy and catchy.

Fabber.
  15. tduff

tduff New Member

No matter what they're actually named. I'm a' call them builders.

So there.
  16. krashkourse

krashkourse Member

builders sounds like they need a brain.
  17. tduff

tduff New Member

All right, lets go through the thread and look at all of the ideas.

Fabricator sounds like they're making custom components .

Constructor sounds like they only make buildings.

Engineer, architect and composer sound like they're designing new units.

Lathethrower just sounds silly. :D Maybe Lathenwürfer?

*snort* erector *milk dribbles down face*

Assembler sounds like the robots went to IKEA. I want brutally efficient flat-packed mechanisms of war! Get on that you swedes.

I think metal makers are those things that convert energy into metal from TA...

Nanite Dispersal Unit or NDU sounds like a good idea. Could call them endees for short.

Consider the possibilities. The builder ship could be called the marine nanite dispersal unit and the builder vehicle could be called the high mobility nanite dispersal unit.
  18. thapear

thapear Member

This actually sounds like a good idea, I like it. No confusion possible with mass fabs etc.
  19. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

This thread is psychologically interesting, but in the end it really doesn't matter what the official name for constructors/builders is, because in no game ever has the official name confined the player base to only refer to it by that name. Cons, coms, BB's, etc.

I did chuckle at "Lathenwürfer."

Play on words; Nanite Generator, or "NG." Also pronounced "engy."

I'll probably call them constructors no matter what, though.