New Website: Soft Launch

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, March 5, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Hey all,

At around 2AM this morning, our intrepid web and UberNet engineering and design team launched a new set of websites for us.

If you go to www.planetaryannihilation.com now, it will forward you to our new home:
    http://www.uberent.com/pa

This site has been made so it in incredibly easy to update content, and get more information out to everyone much faster. Backers forums will continue to be the first stop for most content, but the new website will now be our encyclopedia destructicana for all PA related information.

We'll continue to cross post announcements to Facebook, Google, Twitter, etc as well, but usually, they'll just point there now. So, if you have a friend who's trying to find out more about the game, uberent.com/pa will always be the source of the latest and greatest information!

Why am I posting? Well, we just launched it, so before we go around announcing it, wanted you all to have a chance to check out the layout and function, let us know if you find any problems with it, and of course, provide feedback if you have any!

This is only sticky for a day, as we'll probably be announcing this broadly tomorrow or Thursday, along with our first official PA blog update.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

3. crystaline109

crystaline109 Member

in chrome there is no preview of the metal planet wallpaper, just a link to download it. not sure if this is intended or not, but when there is more than one wallpaper (which most of us have already downloaded), it would be nice to be able to see them before downloading.
  4. crystaline109

crystaline109 Member

5. Pluisjen

Pluisjen Member

Looking good. Clicking on "Media" seems to bring you to the same page as clicking on "News" though. It was a bit confusing to me.
  6. garat

Crystaline - That's intentional. Since there's about 20 of them, we just hosted the download file. We'll add a subset gallery later - I'll need to pick one that represents each layout format. Thanks for the feedback!

Cola, does Tumblr work in opera, because I believe we're just showing the galleries in this case via Tumblr?

And oops! the link on the wallpapers is broken. :) I'll fix it, thanks!
  7. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

New site is very visually appealing. Great job :)
  8. otsunashi

otsunashi New Member

Yes Tumblr works in Opera quite well. I use it often.
  9. garat

Hmm, might be the plugin then. I'll ask when our design guru gets in. Looking at the site right now, but cant' see any obvious ways to fix it. :)

Opera only accounts for about 4% of our web traffic so it doesn't get as much testing. Chrome, Firefox, IE and Safari make up 95% of all our traffic. (Not an excuse, just explaining our testing by dominant browsers being used :))
  10. garat

Actually, this is what I'm seeing on Opera, so are you running latest opera? OS version? Trying to figure out what differences are:

Attached Files:

11. garat

BTW, since this is doing a redirect now, it means we did some DNS changes. If you're not seeing a multi-page site with breakouts for Media, News, etc, you're still seeing the old site. :) Force refresh your window, or open an incognito to force your browser to re-query DNS for up to date info.
  12. cola_colin

I cant do tests now, because I am on the wrong machine and here I only have FF. I'll test it later. Might be my fault in one way or another. It is the latest version, but I might have some addon that is at fault or something like that.
  13. garat

Well, pass on the info when you can. Plugin or not, if there's something we can do to fix it, we will.
  14. lafncow

lafncow Active Member

Beautiful site! Great to see another glimpse of the depth of creativity on your team. :)
  15. eronth

eronth New Member

Loads fast and looks good on Nexus 10.
  16. garat

Excellent to hear! I had loaded it up on iPad 2, Galaxy Tab 2 7" and iPhone 4S, but any tablet/mobile feedback also encouraged!
  17. embox

embox Moderator Alumni

Lookin' good, Garat!
  18. cola_colin

I have no idea what's wrong with it. I have disabled all my addons (which is just one that should have no influence anyway) and the problem persists. However the page loads fine within a private tab. Those are somehow separated from already existing cookies and caches, so something my browser has cached or cookie'd is breaking it. Tumblr itself works fine.
    Deleting all cookies for uberent.com did not help.

... Whatever I'd say it is just a weird bug somewhere on my side. I don't really need those galleries since I am browsings the forums anyway.
  19. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

New site looks amazing..... But being a greedy bastard when it come to updates i hope this isn't neutrino's "big splash"
  20. cola_colin

big splash? I doubt that, the page is mostly already existing content stuffed together in a new partially new layout. Nothing that special, just a good groundwork to give people a way to catch up on what has been released.