Supreme Commander and Supreme Commander Forged Alliance IP

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Neumeusis, February 27, 2013.

1. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

Re: Supreme Commander and Supreme Commander Forged Alliance

Tycoon or date sim based on TA universe hmm...
  2. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

I'd play that.
  3. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

I don't get how it could possibly have been screwed up. It's practically marketing 101. You go for the thing that is in low supply. It is the thing that people want more of! (Protip: There is no shortage of cawadooty/GoW/shock titles) If it was a movie or a crowded genre, then people wanted the story and don't care as much about the game mode. If it was not a movie, or if it was a niche genre, then people want the game play. In a complete abandonment of all logic, the XCOM FPS, as portrayed, had neither. I'm sure someone got well paid for shorting that stock. :roll:

Perhaps someone can tell me how a game can be inspired by another without using a single element of the other game. Because to the audience it was a blatant lie, and it deserved to be called out as it was. Heck, one of the reasons PA kickstarted so well is that Uber said they were doing a game inspired by TA, and then the statement was true.

You're a sick person and the internet is a worse place for having you.

And yet, I'm compelled to inquire further...
  4. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

ask and ye shall receive:

[​IMG]
  5. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

You realize I almost woke my wife up, laughing like a maniac at 6AM reading that, don't you?
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

ymmd
  7. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

So, how about kickstarting a game called "Extraterrestrials" and switch out a couple of the details? Bonus points if you manage to include scenes from the first movie as tutorial. =3

I'm always wondering how expensive a franchise license for something like Alien is. It often seems after covering the license costs there is not enough money left to develop a good game.
  8. banthor

banthor New Member

You caught the essence of how I perceived the movie.

The grand final would be the boss fight on the hangar deck whacking the **** out of the mother****** before blasting it out in space - at this point the gamers heart must be pumping so hard that he must fear it jumping out of his chest like a new born alien. The game must scare the hell out of the gamer even those that consider themselves veterans in the genre.

Except for AvP2 (Marine Campaign) the alien IP has not resulted in anything good and this is going back the C64 or even C16 days.
  9. Atriosuyria

Atriosuyria New Member

Still better than a Nemu end. But the fun thing about story is that you can fill in parts that otherwise would not get elaborated on during gameplay. And if anything lets the player get a better feel for the universe and give more options for more internal consistency.
  10. bobucles

Woah woah! This is a family friendly forum. Cover up that lathe.
  11. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

The Penny Arcade Report
    Sunday, Mar 3, 2013 Editorial by Ben Kuchera
    Colonial Marines’ failure: why it may be impossible to recreate James Cameron’s masterpiece in games

I'd love for you to prove him wrong but I think he may be on to something here.
    In the same way some books just don't translate well to movies what makes the Alien series a great passive entertainment experience just hasn't worked in the interactive realm very well.

And with all due respect, your above pitch looks to me like a series of mini-games sandwiched between movie cut-scenes, that style is not without merit but is hard to tie together in to a cohesive whole.
    I'd love for you to prove me wrong too btw. ;)
  12. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

Its more about people misunderstanding what the aliens series is and getting mired in what makes games sell these days.

While at its core the entirety of the games atmosphere should be based around fear of your motion detector going insane and survival against impossible odds. Indeed that might have been what the original game design documents might have been, but time constraints, editorial control and so many other factors can cut a game down from fantastic to terrible.
  13. bobucles

The alien movie was great because of TENSION. You create tension by limiting resources and increasing the danger level. When you have regenerating health and ammo drops every 10 feet, it doesn't do anything to create TENSION in the game play.

Surprise surprise, it ended up feeling more like a Michael Bay action film than a colonial marine horror film.
  14. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

The single player for marine in AvP2 was just fantastic, I have never seen better alien game than this.
  15. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I have no intention of pursuing this. It's more me stating what I would want to see in an aliens game.

However, it's perfectly valid to make a game that's just minigames playing through a movie. Quite a few interesting games have been made like this (Uncharted is a good example).
  16. Pluisjen

Pluisjen Member

I found the original Alien vs Predator Marine campaign to be bloody terrifying. Ok I was a lot younger then, but seriously... that game had suspense.

If I remember correctly, the first level has literally no enemies and yet it constantly scares you shitless. Really, really well done.
  17. gabooo

gabooo Member

Agreed, that was one great, scary game!
  18. veta

veta Active Member

yes all thats for sale right now is the 'publishing rights' to supcom/fa

i'm sure someone will snag this up so they can keep selling the game on steam.

the source code belongs to gpg and the IP belongs to SE