Skullgirls (Big Band got funded!)

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by sorewawatashi, March 2, 2013.

1. sorewawatashi

sorewawatashi New Member

It's a fighting game.

( ͡U ͜ʖ ͡U)
    [​IMG]

The art kinda sold me on it as well as the characters. Such an awesome looking game. It's also cool that they're getting official EVO coverage now. Anyone else getting it or interested in it?
    Last edited: March 14, 2013
  2. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Re: Skullgirls

Fighting games are not really my thing. Though I will continue to watch every tourny on LevelUp|Live, IplayWinner and Fgtv (even though fgtv just hold in house practice tournies at extreme odd hours of the day). Well as long as they have decent commentary.
  3. sorewawatashi

sorewawatashi New Member

FG can be very competitive. More so than shooters (IMO). It's individual versus individual and things can get pretty hype.
  4. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

Skullgirls looked interesting to me, and reminded me of Guilty Gear XX, which I was a huge fan of. (I-No forever!) But when it came out, I had long moved away from fighting games and into high-speed FPSs. (Namely Warsow.) Still, I'm glad to see it's getting the attention it deserves.
    [EDIT]
    It really depends on the shooter . . .
  5. DeadStretch

He's a console gamer don't mind him. Kappa

[Edit]
    Did I really just try to use the Kappa emote in a forum post? That's what I get for having multiple Twitch streams up.
    Last edited: March 2, 2013
  6. sorewawatashi

sorewawatashi New Member

Kappa
  7. sorewawatashi

sorewawatashi New Member

[​IMG]
  8. thebigpill

thebigpill Well-Known Member

9. eternalist

eternalist New Member

Kappa emote sucks [​IMG]
  10. Cerilium

Cerilium Active Member

Depends on the fighting game as well...

Most fighting games I play are just spamming the same buttons over and over again. Kind of annoying as well in some of them when you have different speed classes.
  11. DeadStretch

Fun Fact: Twitch emotes were first used to indicate types of expressions that is hard to convey with just text. Kappa, while many people think it's used for trolling, is actually used to indicate sarcasm. [​IMG] BrainSlug (who is Bwana a Twitch admin) is used to indicate that you are being goofy. Why I typed this in a skullgirls thread I have no idea.
  12. DeadStretch

I am going to have to agree with Zoom. FG are more competitive than shooters. 1v1 sitting next to each other, hearing each others button presses with a crowd heckling both of them. That is some serious competitive pressure.
    Last edited: March 3, 2013
  13. FireflyJenkins

FireflyJenkins Active Member

It's way more severe. One false move and you will get punished hard. Especially in games without an extensive block/counter system, if you jump the wrong way you'll find yourself stuck in a long *** combo, I believe they're called infinites in MvC.
  14. DeadStretch

15. eternalist

eternalist New Member

Interesting. I just think his face looks funny [​IMG]
  16. oogie

oogie New Member

[​IMG]=Big Nig (no space)
  17. DeadStretch

[​IMG] = Bionic Boner (no space)
  18. thebigpill

thebigpill Well-Known Member

How about this: they're completely different genres with completely different gameplay and they require and focus on completely different skillsets.

Buuuuuuuut, I'm going to be a bitch about it and say something about what look like false assumptions.

Quake 3 and later Quake Live tournaments used to be held in front of thousands of people on some bigass stage. They didn't exactly sit next to each other (though the teams do sit across each other on ESEA lan for TF2 and CS, but those games are bad examples of competitive shooters in my opinion), but that's still a massive amount of pressure.

Exactly the same in CPM. If you slow down, you die (and probably lose a couple of frags on the spawn), or lose control. For a more mainstream example: this clip.

That clip is probably the most notorious rocket jump in FPS history. Cooller starts off the game incredibly well and gets a ±10 frag lead. He decides to go on the defensive with five minutes remaining. Czm punishes it and gets the score to 12-13 in about 3 minutes. Then, Cooller takes the high ground at one point. Czm rocket jumps to get up there, but he messes up his rocket jump and gets shot up against the wall. Cooller manages to get a massive amount of damage on him and czm's momentum is broken. The game goes to a third map and czm loses the final over one failed rocket jump.
  19. sorewawatashi

sorewawatashi New Member

[​IMG] should be the new Kappa

Happa
    Kappap

Anyway, so anyone here who isn't anti-FightingGames getting this? I heard sweetass new DLC was released on PS3 and is coming to the Xbox (eventually)
  20. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

And I'll have to agree with Pill here. Having played both extensively, I can readily say that there's a bit more to proper competitive FPSs (ie. Not COD or CS) than there is in proper fighting games. (Also, the competitive environment you describe is very similar in both cases, with the proximity of the players being the only major difference.)

That said, fighting games are absolutely no slouch when it comes to being an esport. It took me a LONG time to get the skill required for consistently pulling off a False-Roman Cancel Airdash from I-No's Chemical Love during actual combat:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExvIWy5F91U
    So the physical skill required to be capable of pulling off all the necessary moves in a game like GGXX is just as demanding as that of mastering proper movement skills in a Quake-like game. (Some argue that multiple characters makes it more challenging, but don't forget that multiple maps is the FPS equivalent.)

However, the thing that appeals to me more on the FPS side is that the game doesn't occur in discrete moments, as it does in a fighting game. There is a bit more planning involved with such aspects as item timing and forcing your opponent to behave in a way that is advantageous for you. (The latter occurs in fighting games too, but it's primarily on a moment-by-moment basis.)
    I'm sure Pill already posted this, but here's an example of the more long-term strategic considerations on the FPS side:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... dkDjsBiO58

In any case, I enjoy playing both genres for the skill and challenge, though currently I lean towards the FPS side of the spectrum.

[EDIT]
    Here's some sweet I-No action, cause I-No is always awesome:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zRxruGr8-o