For Backers Only: Unit Whitebox Sheet

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, February 28, 2013.

1. xcupx

xcupx Member

I absolutely love the fighter models so far! They look awesome! Totally believable as fighters and they look sort of modern but also more futuristic. I hated how the fighters in supcomm looked like they were trying to hard to be futuristic. The shapes of modern aircraft are a heck of a lot cooler than the supcomm fighters in my opinion. The middle one sorta looks like a cross between an F-35 and an F-18. I hope they can be put into carriers! I love building a fleet around a carrier!
  2. lophiaspis

lophiaspis Member

You guys owe me a new pair of pants!

Only thing I can think of is: if all your battleships are drones, do they really need a bridge? Looks like you could squeeze in another gun rack if you replace that with a smaller radar tower. Brutal efficiency man!
  3. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

small radar towers are weak though and large thick towers are tough and have more space for targeting sensors.
  4. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Ah some feedback based upon the MOOAR pictures:

-I REALLY like the arch on the docks. I really really like it. Please keep that it's awesome.

-The tank factory has 2 separate ramps while the Bot factory has a single broad ramp. Nice detail!

-Again a comment on the smaller and bigger boats: this appears to be a really good balance in size compared to other units.

-The "carrier" seems to be either an LRM missileship or a transport.

-I really like the green Nanolathe glowers on the back of the construction bots. They look awesome. Also together with the striping it just screams "CONSTRUCTOR!"

-The peewee-style robots look great. I can see a bit of difference between the T1 and T2 assault bot and i like it.

-i prefer to have symmetric green glowers on the construction vehicles. But maybe that's because i'm a sucker for symmetry.

-the missile....cart? looks like it'll topple over very easily. While i kinda like the design, it just seems there's a bit too much missile launcher for the amount of vehicle. (having a Siege Tank SC2-style deploy might be nice?)

-Aircraft: I like that the bombers are quite big. It really gives the feeling "this is BIG and POWERFUL!" while the fighters look more nimble.

-I assume the front row to be gunships. (the things on their wings look like some sort of fan/hoverdevice). I like their general build and the hoverthingies on their wings.

-Do i see an air transport? (with the 4 hoverthingies?)

-The MUN ROCKET! so much detail, so awesome. nothing to say here, it's just greatness compacted into one design.

-The strategic and orbital missiles and launchers look good. the tactical launcher seems to fire very small missiles, especially compared to the other launchers. Maybe for differentiation, it should fire a bunch?

Is it wrong that i keep drooling a the Unit Cannon?
  5. Bouncer2000

Bouncer2000 Member

nice pics. loving the design and scale, but a have a few points I would like to address:

1) K-bots (placehodlers) as in this pictures look too basic. Maybe you can recycle the designs from TA. They didn't had heads or arms... they more looked like machines...

2) all the untis except the commanders look like ARM/UEF, which is cool, but kind of boring to me. This is what I feared to get from a single unit pool. Same design decisions for all units. I am OK with one unit pool so far, but I really would like to see some untis have a more sharp design like Cybran/CORE or smooth/round like AEON or something even new.

Please try to differ the designs more, otherwise I think the visuals will get boring quickly. I like it what you did with the commanders. It looks like they will differ a lot from each other visually. Please do the same with some untis!

Otherwise, everything looks really good. Especially the scale! Keep it up
  6. RCIX

RCIX Member

Did you ever end up making parts lists that those used?
  7. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

Because a good bridge means a good radar. The higher off the ground, the farther over the horizon you'll see.
  8. theseeker2

I have one problem with uber's unit cannon. It's a fixed structure, and it has no turret... Which means you can shoot it in one line only, which means you have to build a new one when attacking another base.
  9. lordbritish

lordbritish New Member

All these TA pictures, all the nostalgia :D
  10. evilm3nace

evilm3nace New Member

So, to be clear, those Ships are not robotic? There is no need for a bridge if they are.

-Me.
  11. RCIX

RCIX Member

Why was this posted no more than 4 posts below this:

12. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Not nessesarly, using orbital mechanics you could hit anywhere even if its fixed in one direction.

But we will have to wait and see, none of the models are final after all.
  13. theseeker2

If you have a unit cannon lined up to fire around the equator, there's no way you're hitting the north pole with it.
  14. peterbusunum

peterbusunum Member

Why do the factories have 2 exitramps? It confused me in SupCom already since only one is usually used. Will the one closest to the waypoint be used? Why do there have to be two ramps on every factory?

How about a rotating platform with one ramp adjusting to the direction of the waypoint of at least one factory so there is some variance even for the ground unit producing buildings :)
  15. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

in sup com units facing depended on the rally point, and used whatever ramp was appropriate.
  16. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

I like how the T2 air factory is so environmentally conscientious!

Can we get bonus happiness to our people if we plant trees around our base?

:D
  17. DeadMG

DeadMG Member

I still think that there is not enough diversity in the size of the land units. If you look at the naval units, some of them are way small, and the Battleship is ******* huge. But the land units, the biggest tank is only twice the size of the smallest, the bots are even worse. The planes are a bit better.
  18. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Not many things need a radar. Realistically, radar is still a LoS system. It's only effective because radio processing is easy while regular vision is hard. So even if there was a higher max vision range, it's still limited to every other problem that a LoS system has- Horizons, obstacles, and obscuring systems.

If you need vision, send in the troops. Making a huge battleship provide its own vision sounds good on paper, but for gameplay it's better to rely on good spotter support. When those guns arc over the horizon, there's no telling what they're going to do.
  19. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

I think in TA/PA it's the other way around. You get robot bonus happiness for reclaiming the trees... :twisted:
  20. evilm3nace

evilm3nace New Member

A good bridge means nothing of the sort, you do not need windows for robots.

-Me.