Revealed Units [04/05/2013]

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Raevn, February 28, 2013.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Re: Revealed Units

To be honest, the one labeled as a transport is very small, I'd think it was more likely to be a Gunship.

Mike
  2. otsunashi

otsunashi New Member

The ? tank in question is mobile artillery I think. Look at the gun pointing up at an angle like the static artillery cannons.
  3. crystaline109

crystaline109 Member

Unknown

[​IMG]
    Unknown

It is the asteroid propulsion unit!
  4. radistmorse

radistmorse Member

I don't think there will be a problem with that. If it's in the sea - it's a ship. Nothing to recognise.
  5. KNight

Doubtful IMO, they already have an asset for that and it feels a bit too small for it.

Mike
  6. stealth870

stealth870 New Member

[​IMG]

My guess would be something like Scout, Medium Infantry, Light Infantry.

Something a la the Warrior/Rocko and the Peewee.
  7. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Totally agree, they should be floating gun platforms, not traditional "human" ships.

[​IMG]

I was thinking single-unit transport, like in TA, but it's possible it's a gunship.

I agree, only just realised that was a barrel.
  8. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

A couple of people have reported this, not sure why. The images are hosted on my private server, as I originally was going to use tinypic but was worried that would cause leaks of backer-only material.

I can assure you they are only images, so it's safe to unblock. If you know how I can avoid it thinking they are suspicious, please let me know.
  9. thgr8houdini

thgr8houdini Member

That robot warship has a big tower in the middle, too...
  10. thorneel

thorneel Member

Yes, but it doesn't look like a modern bridge. I'm not sure, but I think there is even a gun on it, though putting (obviously robotic) sensors would work as well.
    Btw, is that the warship in Ghost in the Shell 2? I remember that it did look pretty great for something not like a modern warship.
  11. radistmorse

radistmorse Member

Yep, that's it. It's on screen for about five seconds in total, yet obviously hard to forget :)
  12. thgr8houdini

thgr8houdini Member

I see no reason that the ship models shown couldn't have another gun on top of the tower, too :D
  13. cruton32123

cruton32123 New Member

I think that just about all of the aircraft look amazing. From what we can see of the tanks, they look great. The smaller ships and subs look good.

I am inclined to agree with Radistmorse, about the larger ships. The hull design is fine. I like all of the weapons turrets, and sensor modules. The only part that looks out of place is the conning tower/bridge section. Unless the ship has a crew, why have a bridge designed for a crew? That being said, it may be interesting to have larger ships possibly have a small crew. Warships appear to be the biggest of all the units currently. I don't see why a few smaller bots couldn't be hidden aboard that spring to action when needed. Maybe a repair crew, or small arms team to aid in engaging numerous smaller targets at close range, while the main guns focus on larger targets. If the ships keep the bridge, than they should probably have a crew. If there is no crew, than its probably best to remove the bridge, and replace it with a processor core, or sensor array, or an extra gun.

My only other concern is the selection of infantry. I may be jumping the gun on this, as I know it is still early in development. The few infantry that are displayed look pretty good, but there seems to be so few of them compared to tanks, boats, and aircraft.

Aside from that I think just about everything else looks awesome. :D
    Last edited: March 1, 2013
  14. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Ignore the look of the T2 factories - Uber have stated they are placeholders, and literally scaled-up versions of the T1 model. This will definitely change.

This applies to pretty much every other unit also - it's all WIP, but I'll update the posts with information as it comes in.
  15. cruton32123

cruton32123 New Member

Good to hear.

I'm still concerned about the boats and infantry though.
  16. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Don't be concerned about anything. Nothing is final. We can easily change the boats and in fact had a conversation about it today. I still want them to evoke real naval vessels but we can and will make changes...
  17. KNight

Honestly I don't think there is any issue with Boats, they have a nice size in comparison to land units and have a good variation in scale within the range of naval units themselves.

Mike
  18. Heytesburg

Heytesburg New Member

I think this is really important. I said it in another thread but I would really like to see ships, not just floating metal platforms with guns poking out :)
  19. baryon

baryon Active Member

Imho the missile ship might also be a transport ship. At least it's model makes me think so, because regular freight-ships have their freight in front of their tower, which is located in the back of the ship.
    Missile ships usually have a tower in the front part of their hull and VLS located behind it.
  20. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member