Flag units

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by kmike13, February 26, 2013.

1. drsinistar

drsinistar Member

Like this? :lol:

[​IMG]
  2. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Hmm flags would feel kinda out of place, but i would like it if they added badges like in dawn of war...

Offcourse it might not be feasible to add them to every unit in your army, but perhaps it could work if they added them to the commander, factories, and the few experimentals.
  3. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

I liked the illuminate's design, I really hated the names though...
  4. s13g3

s13g3 New Member

5. tankhunter678

tankhunter678 New Member

I would rather see the ability to create custom army color skins with flags/emblems ala Dawn of War series games. Granted, not tying all the shinier stuff to multiplayer ranks.

This way you can put in your flags, but not have to give them any gameplay significance, and also make it optional for the people who do not want flags and would rather for instance have Spikes of Villainy.
  6. Atriosuyria

Atriosuyria New Member

You do realize the only reason why flags make an appearance on the battlefield were for command knowing where who and where a specific unit is. So it really has no purpose for robots with IFF and other better forms of CNC systems. Badges that appear once you identify an enemy would make more sense and still allow player customization.
  7. christopher1006

christopher1006 Member

I'd be happy with every group I designate to have a flag viewable only by me so it doesn't clutter up anyone else's screens but allows me to keep more organized as to which blob of units is actually the blob of units I want to use to kill the enemy blob of units.
  8. heavymetaljezus

heavymetaljezus New Member

i like that idea but now as an acutal unit
    maybe if you construct 10 tanks lets say 2 of them will come out carrying a flag
    would be awesome but i dont think it fits the game's universe
  9. krashkourse

krashkourse Member

All it comes down to is if the unit is readable in being the unit it is suppose to be. why have a flag at all you have unit colors for blue and red and green players why use a flag.
  10. rabbit9000

rabbit9000 Member

Could be a holo flag?

No to stat boosts though.
  11. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

You have to keep in mind that these are robots. They don't have feelings or know who they are fighting for. They are simply programmed to destroy the enemy.

Having emblems embedded into the chassis of units and structures makes sense but flags, not really.
  12. instantshadow

instantshadow New Member

why not? flags are a great way to distinguish beetwen enemy camp and allie
  13. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

A easy way to explain flags and emblems for a robot army is this: The robots was programmed to use them.

Yes the robots themselves wouldn't need flags or emblems (symbols in general), but the race that built them (that's now extinct) may have hade need for them, and therefore programmed their war machines to use them.

While the race is long gone and the robots may have developed far further then their creators intended the programming to use flags and symbols could still be there.

So making up a reason for flags and/or emblems isent realy hard.

Me personaly: I dont think flags would look nice but i would like custom emblems like in Dawn of War (Yes you do get people using offensive emblems from time to time (like a penis or natzi symbol), but you can just ignore those).
  14. instantshadow

instantshadow New Member

or just have a option to report him for offensive mark, making him lose the right to use it(i don't really know how long 2 weeks?). :twisted:
  15. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Yes in the traditional sense but we're talking about robots, they don't need any markings at all. Usually emblems on the chassis are standard signatures whenever robots are in question and flags are more human related.

Flags aren't really ideal since this is robotic nanotechnology, having a big *** robotic statue of the master robot of that "race" in the middle of the base would be more fitting :twisted:
  16. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

A solution would be fine too, im just used to ignoring it in Dawn of war.

Dont ignore my post :( (2 posts above yours).
  17. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

People rarely use flags even in modern war unless they're making a big statement by waving a flag patriotically.
    Robots don't have political opinions, don't need flags.
  18. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

I thought we agreed telepathically on this matter :oops:
  19. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Didn't the entire Core vs. Arm war start over political opinions?
  20. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

They weren't 100% robots. They were humans in robotic suits/armor and robotic bodies with human minds controlling them.