Limited time between forum searches.

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by gabooo, February 28, 2013.

1. gabooo

gabooo Member

Hi All, Admins,

The time limit between two searches is very frustrating. And too long. And frustrating.

Is there still now a good, valid, technical reason to limit searches this hard ?

Couldn't you change the limit to something like less than 15 queries in a minute ? Maybe even better no more than 1 query per second. And allow us too actually be able to ... search.

Something that lets us use the tool .... please, pretty please,with sugar on top!? :D

2. infinitycanvas

infinitycanvas Well-Known Member

It was implemented because of a common forum error. Not sure if it's necessary anymore but it's likely not going away.
  3. gabooo

gabooo Member

I know why such flood gates exists. But I'm not sure it's useful here anymore.
    At least loosening the restriction a little would help.
  4. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

It's definitely still useful, and it will mostly likely be even moreso with the release of PA. Nothing has been upgraded as far as I know, so the problem would be just as bad.
  5. gabooo

gabooo Member

Are you speaking of knowledge or it's just a guess ?
    I'm in charge of a search engine with more than 100 millions records and searching is pretty well efficient on rather low hardware, with many concurrent requests. I'd argue the limit, if still useful, could be greatly lowered.

That said, I do not know the details of the software used, database, indexing tool, hardware and so on. But I do think on modern day hardware this limit seams a little bit high, and annoying... (Yeah I know I've already said that :p)

If I'm the only one bothered, well, then that's settled. But I'd be surprised :)
  6. jbeetle

It's definitely bothersome. Did you frequent the forums before this change was implemented?
  7. gabooo

gabooo Member

No, I'm here since Uber kickstarted PA :)
  8. jbeetle

Well, before this measure was taken, you had to refresh the forums constantly, not being able to get through for sometimes even over an hour. and then when you were finally able to post, you'd most likely have to refresh a lot more to get it to post. the forums were essentially unusable. But who knows? maybe they'll implement a real fix when PA is released.
  9. gabooo

gabooo Member

I see. I guess the fulltext search (mysql one?) is really slow and CPU hungry.

I can maybe point to using sphinx search with phpBB : https://wiki.phpbb.com/Sphinx_Fulltext_Search

Sphinx search is a fantastic and so fast indexing tool that it would be possible to remove the limit using it I think. For a 100 million records database we have less than 50ms query time. [edit] on reasonably cheap hardware, of course :) [/edit]
  10. killien

killien Active Member

Oh noes, you can't wait 15 seconds?
    Time limit between forum searches is normally an anti-spam feature and I don't know of many forums that don't have at least a 5 to 10 second wait time between searches
  11. jbeetle

well, it does make searching the forums nearly impossible since it counts as a new search even if it found nothing. It also counts when you click the next page in the search results.
  12. killien

killien Active Member

Must depend on the number of results
    Megabeth yields 10,000+ results(1000+ pages) and clicking "Next" tripped the search limit
    Waffles yields 46 results(5 pages) and clicking "Next" did not trip the limit
  13. gabooo

gabooo Member

Yes, I can, sure. It's just that when you're trying different words to find something, it takes minutes instead of seconds.

It's not a big deal. I just asked, since I work with search engines. There are ways to make a search engine fast and deal with flood.

Well never mind then, I'll get used to it :)
  14. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

Use Google's advanced search option. It hasn't let me down yet.
    I posted a bit of info in Knight's "Lern2Serch" thread. It will definitely make life easier.
  15. Lockisbetta

Lockisbetta Member

Bit of a late response but this seems to be fixed. I could only do one search or click either 'View new posts' or 'View your posts' then I would be locked out from searching for 15 seconds. So damn annoying, nice that it's fixed.

EDIT: Seem to trip randomly, I've had times where I can only search once, other times it allows multiple searches.