For Backers Only: Unit Whitebox Sheet

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, February 28, 2013.

1. cybran89

cybran89 New Member

Sorry if this has already been asked but...
    Is that building between the rocket gantry and the artillery a T1 version of the rocket gantry or an uberlauncher :twisted:
  2. mcodl

mcodl Member

I love the design. Nice and very distinctive (at least for me).

I like mainly the ship and aircraft units. I guess that's because those were always my favourites.

Can't wait to see them actualy moving and shooting at each other :D .
  3. suketchi

suketchi Member

This buildings and units looks awesome!
    Oh and the Destroyer looks really bad ***, too. :mrgreen:

To the buildings...

This one looks like a shield generator to me. It would make sense, because it seems this building is a artillery.

Or I am totally wrong with that?

Edit:
    Well reconsidered it looks like more a satellite... my bad. ^^'

Attached Files:

4. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

It's really good.
    Perhaps the T1 point defense look a bit small and inoffensive. Ihmo, turret should be tall to not have their line of fire blocked.

Perhaps it's a block to put turrets on.
  5. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Regarding Air Units, apart from the 2 units which look like bombers, I personaly think that current other Air Units do not really match with the Mech background of PA.

As a comparison, i find Air Units (especially fighters) from AirMech game really match the AirMech background and would also match PA background much more than current Air Units we are displayed (Of course i don't know in which degree Air Units concept are finalized).

Just for comparison purpose and design ideas :

[​IMG]
    Last edited: February 28, 2013
  6. guzwaatensen

guzwaatensen Active Member

those have cockpits, so i fail to see how they fit with an airmech theme...
  7. doud

doud Well-Known Member

They have cockpits, but apart from this, it looks like to me that the current Air Units look like much air Eurofighter typhoon/ F16. not really a Mech background.
  8. Devak

Devak Post Master General

My only slight problem with the set is that the T2's are bigger variants of the T1. I would like to see a bit more "this is advanced stuff!" on them.

Other than that, very good. Good use of visual information for units, good scale. Bigger buildings give a "hell yea" feeling without feeling too present. Small units have a nice amount of detail but not too convulted. The commander seems to have too much detail from a distance, but it just promts a "I WANT TO ZOOM IN". It makes you want to observe every little gimmick on it in stead of being zoomed out all the time.

All in all? good job.
  9. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

I like the scale of everything. it is realistic. Not like in SupCom where the acu is much taller than a Battleship xD Now Battleships are huge!

And I love the rocket.finally an RTS with a rocket that will actually leave a planet. OMG! :D
  10. RCIX

RCIX Member

[​IMG]

And i love the diversity in naval scale!
  11. comham

comham Active Member

Love, love, love the naval factories and the big ships. Absolutely fantastic stuff.
  12. chrishaldor

chrishaldor Member

Welp, now i'm going to be sitting around waiting for that kickstarter upgrade system to go up, I need alpha =P
  13. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

There's a reason I can't take TMLs seriously, and this is why. A big pad builds these expensive, tiny missiles, which are small enough to fit in the missile turret. Meanwhile, the missile turret shoots half a dozen of its payload at any paper airplane to fly by. Basically, the lethality of the TML missile does not match its appearance in any way. Supcom had that too, where the tiny TML dot mysteriously did 20 times more damage than any other missile dot (never mind the billy).

Perhaps the simplest solution is to make the TML missiles similar in strength to other missiles of its size, and just shoot a ton of them to represent its high power. The large numbers help overwhelm defenses, and allow more chances for partial damage. It is a dedicated missile facility, after all.
    Unless you hit the wrong zoom level, in which case they're indistinguishable. They do need a bit more to tell them apart.

I do like how the transport(?) seems to have no head or tail. In retrospect, it makes perfect sense. It spends its time moving units from a->b and back again. Being bi-directional makes the job easier, as it can directly shuttle both ways with no need to turn around.

As impressive as the battleships appear to be, I'd much rather see a unit cannon or rocket pad on one(in fact, the latter may be necessary to escape a water world). Unmatchable guns have a huge problem of being, well, unmatchable.
  14. thorneel

thorneel Member

I'd guess a storage, a pylon, or an Outlaw-style pulse weapon.

Oh, and the medium rocket, is it a nuke?
  15. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

16. psychobob3

psychobob3 New Member

You know what "Whitebox" means?

No final design! No final features! NOTHING FINAL!!!

These are just placeholder for development. Everything can be changed...
  17. RCIX

RCIX Member

You know what nothing final means? We can give feedback.

Also means you should calm down a bit =p
  18. powerbear

powerbear New Member

Maybe the big disk/bunker thing in the upper left land corner is a geothermal power generator? It has big tubes going into the earth and stuff... or maybe a deployable planetary thruster? to cause earthquakes with or change the orbital course of the planet? it could also be a T2 mass extractor.

that strange wall thing might be a mine...

-PowerBear
    Last edited: February 28, 2013
  19. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

This all looks fantastic and is very exciting, great work!

The as-yet unidentified building to the left of the unit cannon is the only building on legs. In fact the height of it off the ground is about the same height as would be needed for an internal ceiling if the building was going to used by humans.

So I think it is a Romulan Senate building. Do I win five pounds?
  20. NortySpock

NortySpock Member

Who ever came up with double-stacking the T2 radar dishes did a fine job. Immediately recognizable as T2 Radar.

I also assume that T2 factories won't look identical to T1 factories?

Finally, I'll throw out my guesses for the round flat thing between the Unit Cannon and the T2 shipyard:
    a redone asteroid rocket engine, or Galactic Gate.