Teaching AI Videos

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by shawnmiller2389, February 26, 2013.

1. shawnmiller2389

shawnmiller2389 New Member

Sorian has spoken about how you teach the AI in the game. Would it be possible to record some of the fights of the AI vs the AI(to be included in the documentary or posted after the alpha)?

I am interested in seeing how the AI acts on the first few game without any experience and seeing how it adepts to fights later on, after it has gained some experience.
  2. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

+1

This would be pretty interesting.
  3. kin0025

kin0025 New Member

+1 Sounds good!
  4. xcupx

xcupx Member

Yes! that would be awesome!
  5. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Pre-Alpha AI video:
    [​IMG]
    ;)
  6. godde

godde Well-Known Member

I doubt that AI vs AI matches are likely to result in a draw. Unlike thermonuclear war, victory will come from either total annihilation of the enemy or killing the enemy commander. Even if mutual destruction is assured on 1 planet, any advantage 1 side has in the rest of the system can snowball into the victory of that side.
  7. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

They are still going to be very interesting watching the baby AI's fall over each other.
  8. Pluisjen

Pluisjen Member

The idea was more that there's nothing interesting to see because the matches are mostly fought purely in simulation mode at high speed, rather than actual matches. Although you could always replay one of their games, I doubt many of them would be interesting to watch.
  9. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Just get the replay file and view the game at whatever speed you like.
    I think it would be interesting to watch a few of them.
    If we are lucky Sorian will even select a few to show off recent advancements.
    It could also be fun to see all the dumb things the AI will do as it tries to learn the game. Like putting artillery in front of the rest of the army and charging in or building turrets where hills block their line of fire.
  10. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

Don't worry, you will see enough of that in the final game ;)
  11. gabrahamsook

gabrahamsook New Member

I'm not up to date on all of the information about development. When the OP says that Sorian spoke of teaching the AI in game, does he mean that he's building the AI to learn how to play in the full release of the game (in the boundaries of a single galactic war campaign or a single skirmish match I'm assuming), or is he talking about just developing the AI?
  12. shawnmiller2389

shawnmiller2389 New Member

Sorian wrote on the forums and spoke about it in one of the videos, that he programs the AI but does not program strategy. To develop strategy they just let the AI play itself in the game, xxx number of times.
  13. xosk00

xosk00 New Member

Wow. :shock: Hearing about this just amazes me to almost no end for many, many reasons.

Can you please post a link to where this is discussed? I'm really curious about what kind of AI they are using and how it is "learning".
  14. bill280

bill280 Member

I believe it's called Machine Learning, here is a wiki link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_learning
  15. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

so im a Computer Science Student taking an AI module

SOME ONE TEACH ME HOW TO PROGRAM IN COMMONLISP! D:<<<

Fundamental languages are hard :(
  16. gabrahamsook

gabrahamsook New Member

Great. How long before Sorian accidentally creates a real AI that knows nothing but war and turns itself into skynet? Might just look cute though assuming the AI is stuck within the boundaries of the game and is still trying to nuke the actual Earth.
  17. Moranic

Moranic Member

+1
    I would love to see some early AI battles, or some sort of progress video like:
    And then it learned to use snipers to kill long range units and thus it devastated the enemy!

But here it failed to micro the planes and thus losing air control!

Due to the costly air battle, the AI failed to put up proper defenses against land and thus
    was run over by the enemy.
    With video footage of course. That would be really, really awesome!
  18. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

I think they will save the replys and give them to us.(Maybe only Backer Lounge)
  19. Dysan

Dysan New Member

It was a talk at GDC 2012. His presentation is the middle 20 min
    http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1015667/Of ... n-Path-Non
  20. dmii

dmii Member

Maybe something like a few minutes of the AI in battle 1, then a few minutes in battle 100, then 200, ... etc.

Basically a snapshot every few iterations, showing the progression from random to refined.