Modding - The Beginnings

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by RCIX, February 24, 2013.

1. RCIX

RCIX Member

Posted in Backers forum specifically to garner response from Uber, and to germinate discussion for Uber to harvest regarding modder preference as to how some features would get implemented

I was thinking a bit and as a potential modder, can we have any details on the mod support? Right now I have an eye to the unit modification and addition parts; what is the basic planned structure that will define a "unit" (f.e. SupCom used the BP+Script model)? What options are there for exposing custom unit functions to a player (SupCom/FA had an extreme few hardcoded ones like shields/submerge/missiles/etc, Starcaft is hella better at this with custom abilities exposable)? Will it be possible to make the engine dynamically load and save assets and unit definitions? Particularly interested in that last one for a potential dynamic unit editor feature or meta-mod.
  2. redplague

redplague New Member

thay need a list of tools that you need too mod ..so the new moder can jump in ,,so it be easyer for them to mess weth the game and have fun
  3. chirmaya

chirmaya Member

I'd like to know this too, but they can't tell us until they have their whole system fully designed and running correctly. They mentioned in one of the livestream videos that they would be presenting the modding information sometime in the future, so keep an eye out for that.

This is one of the things that, if they don't cover by themselves, I'd like to create a nice set of tutorials on each subject (mapping, creating units, creating projectiles, etc.), along with some good introduction tutorials that give you an high-level overview of how all of the assets interconnect. Hoping to support those with associated videos (with transcripts) to make it easier for anyone interested to pick it up.

The only thing that I'm pretty sure of is their art pipline, which (I think) includes:
    - 3DS Max
    - ZBrush
    - Photoshop

Free alternatives to those are:
    - Blender
    - Sculptris (I think)
    - Gimp
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Zbrush is prolly of limited use for PA, mostly for any terrain type stuff I imagine, the units/structures are pretty straightforward! ;p

Mike
  5. th33x1l3

th33x1l3 New Member

Relating to modding, how we would find mods. I for example find steam's workshop a good example to follow. Don't know if PA would have steam support, but i find steam mod subscription process very easy to use.
  6. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

I think that Uber would set up a entire section for Planetary Annihilation mods, and mod support. Like what GPG did with their forums I would guess.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Distribution of Maps/Mods is something we don't have a lot of info on yet, it's the kind of thing that should prolly get it's own thread in General Discussion if people don't find enough useful info in the modding threads we've had previously.

Mike