"Achievements/medals/badges/pavlovs dog buggery"

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by comham, February 16, 2013.

1. chrishaldor

chrishaldor Member

I think achievements/medals are good and fine, as long as they're not (For my particular least favourite example) getting a headshot with a drill in battlefield bad company
    Way to encourage tactical gameplay DICE :x
  2. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

A "Be the last commander standing in a ranked 40 player FFA" is definitely an achievement i would hunt for.

Traitor - Annihilate all allies (at least one) and win the match
    Oh how I love to do that. Doesn't even matter if teams are locked or not :twisted:

Small step for a robot - Send an engineer to a moon
    Should be easy enough to reach

Homeless - Have your home planet destroyed and win the match
    A bit more tricky. There are probably going to be a few players who try to destroy their own planet first, but still sounds fun. To watch them die.

Suicide - Your commander is on a meteor when it crashes
    What do you mean, there are no escape pods left?

Too late - Destroy an anti-nuke launcher with a nuke
    Nothing feels better, than to nuke an anti nuke with a nuke a second before construction has finished.

Orbital Mechanics I - Make two meteors collide
    Could actually happen in a real game when you aim with one meteor for another.

Orbital Mechanics II - Intercept a meteor which has set course on a planet you have a base on

Kaboom - Use self destruction with your commander and achieve at least a tie
    Sometimes even that is fun to do.
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Replace Suicide with Kamikaze. Make it so your final action of riding a rock in, also wins you the game by splatting the enemy commander.
  4. ayceeem

ayceeem New Member

What it will devolve into is the playerbase refusing to play as excellently as possible just to madcap for your sh!tty proposed badges. Or a whole load of rigged games to farm for them, which begs the question, why put something in which players are going to try to circumvent just to get back to playing the real game?
  5. insanityoo

insanityoo Member

I think that people are forgetting that most (if not all) of these "bad" achievements can be obtained quite easily in SINGLE PLAYER. If all people really care about is farming achievements, then loading up some AI allies/enemies is not only considerate to other players, but it's also easier (you don't have to jump online and wait for people to join your game). So really, lets try to keep things in perspective.
  6. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Member

OK so badges are achievements now or did I miss something?

I think the whole thing is getting out of proportion when we are talking about how this will effect the way people play the game.

IMO these badges should 1.) be selectable, and 2.) they should be awarded on statistical basis (and possibly for major milestones in a player's career like winning a 40 player FFA).

They should be a medium for a player to show other players what kind of player they are. A badge of honour or pride perhaps. You can make up the fancy names yourself.

Such examples of this could be:
    W:L ratio
    Total number of 1v1, FFA or team games played.
    Total number of units built (of a certain type).
    Total number of enemy units destroyed (of a certain type).
  7. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Oh god, no.

This, other than "Total number of units built (of a certain type)." (It's too easy to achieve in single player, and I don't want my allies trying to achieve this in multiplayer by building tanks on an island instead of actually playing).
  8. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Member

Personally I don't think any of them should be achievable in offline/single player game modes because it allows players to grind their stats in a controlled environment. Besides that, historically it's just not the done thing. Progress towards badges should certainly only be counted online and IMO only in ranked matches. Though this could perhaps compound your fear of allies building tanks on an island somewhere instead of fighting. Really though I don't think it's likely to happen that often for it to be an issue.

Also Re: you comment about it being too easy to achieve a particular badge...
    I say, where is the problem with that? I think some of the badges should be easier to achieve. Possibly with bronze/silver/gold/platinum awards for you building 10,000/100,000/1,000,000/10,000,000 land units respectively. Any kind of structure like that would be fine as far as I can see.
  9. insanityoo

insanityoo Member

FFS, really? It's a badge everyone will get by just playing the game. If someone wants to grind out 1 million tanks without disturbing someone's game, I say damn well let them. Please consider that not all badges/achievements are created equal. You'll have plenty other badges to extend your e-peen with.
  10. hearmyvoice

hearmyvoice Active Member

Achievements for griefers?
  11. Devak

Devak Post Master General

No, for selfish people.

I like achievements for wacky stuff. For example, i loved the achiement i got when playing COD and i killed an enemy with a flashbang (direct impact). It's so unbelievably rare and silly that it gives a massive "HELL YEA" when it happens.

Kill so many enemies? so many headshots? well it kinda is there to remind you you killed a lot of people. It's the ultra-rare stuff that's worth the energy. it's the sort of stuff that, when you look at it you go "ah that time when X happened, good times". Reading someone's achievements list should be a case of "you did this? and survived? and this? how did you pull THAT OFF?"
  12. secondkingstons

secondkingstons New Member

Terminator Destroy 50 units with your commander in one minute

Draw You and an enemy commander both die at the same time

Untouchable Have you commander not take any damage from enemies the entire game

Planet Killer Win 50 online multiplayer matches

Solar Destroyer Win 100 online multiplayer matches

Galactic Annihilator Win 200 online multiplayer matches

Grab Your Umbrella Have at least 100 artillery units in the map

Overkill Smash an asteroid onto an enemy commander and kill it

Pacifist Your commander does not directly destroy one unit in the match and wins

What Army? Destroy your enemy using only your commander

Faulty Programming Attempt to smash a moon/asteroid into a planet, but it misses

Killing Spree Destroy more than two commanders in an online match

*Facepalm* Destroy a planet with nobody on it

That's No Moon! Land on a Metal Planet

How KEWl was that? Destroy all the planets in the match
  13. crystaline109

crystaline109 Member

I love achievements. They add new fun ways to play the game.

store 1,000,000 metal was brought up, but add to it "and win the match"... now it just got interesting. High ranked player tries to kill lower ranked player and self handicaps to get the achievement, giving the lower skilled player a chance to win.

they've stated that there will be no unit veterancy (a good thing i think), but they will keep track of a unit's total kills. so have there be a "get 100 kills with a single T1 unit"

Achievements for doing what you would do anyway, IMO, are pointless. Achievements should make you play differently, if only slightly. "kill a commander on a water planet with no naval units on the planet".
  14. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

Only count the achievement when the player win the game.
    It's not a perfect solution, but it's a step in the right direction.
  15. chrishaldor

chrishaldor Member

Great, so every team game you play there'll be some **** killing all his teammates halfway through? FUNFUN

In an unlocked game with teams where the last man standing is the winner, that would be acceptable, as you've actually ACHIEVED something but forcing players to troll people for an achievement is why a lot of people don't like them.
  16. dmii

dmii Member

How did a thread which started with a link to how achievements nearly ruined a game become a thread, where people post suggestions for the idiotic kind of achievements?

No they don't. The fun ways are already there. Achievements aren't even able to properly show people new ways to play, since people will stop playing a certain way once they got the achievement for it because "Why should I play that way? I already got the achievement."
    Achievements only do one thing: Add a limited number of short bursts of joy and make players go play something else once they got all of them.
  17. hearmyvoice

hearmyvoice Active Member

Achievements are totally bad and evil, especially when, for example, Team Fortress 2 has 448 achievements, yet it is the second most played game on steam EVERY DAY (current players always 50 000 - 80 000). I guess Valve is doing something right that many other game developers aren't.

Only one thing you said was true: people play because the game is fun. Not because there are achievements. But achievements give you the feeling that you achieved something. How is that harmful, I do not understand. :| Well, I guess I can't understand illogical stuff ;)

And you can't really say "No they don't" when the one above just said they do (for him/her).

The only problem I see with achievements is that you only get them once. There could also be other ways to award players from replaying the game over and over again.
  18. dmii

dmii Member

Oh my, cherrypicking evidence, I truely stand corrected.
    True, achievements give you the feeling that you achieved something. Which means they also give you the feeling, that you completed the action you were doing to get it and therefore there is no reason to do said action anymore.
    Go to the first post, click on the link, read the article and then say again, that it is illogical.

Yes I can. Achievements don't add new ways to play a game. They only add a "You just did this! Good job!"-prompt. They don't increase the amount of ways you can play a game, those are already there.
    If you need the game to say "Go play the game in this wacky way to get an achievement." in order to come up with a new was to play, then that's a sign of lacking creativity on the player side, not a showcase of achievements making the gameside better.

Like no achievements, which don't override the reward of playing a game because it is rewarding on its own.
  19. mcodl

mcodl Member

Honestly I don't really care about achievements ever since I started working. If I get an achievement it is mostly by accident (as I didn't know there was an achievement for that) or because there's achievement for something like "finish the game" which is the goal anyways.

What I wouldn't like if the achievements/badges/whatever_trophies would give any kinds of bonuses in-game. Esthetic rewards are absolutely fine with me. Anything else not so much.