Radar mechanics

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by aralepus, February 12, 2013.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

It's a same that they would only work on people, as the AI would never fire on the false targets.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I prefer the notion that Jammers make it so that you can't see what's in an area, so think of it that there's so many blips you can't see the ground past them, sure, you know the area is being jammed, but you still can't figure out what's in that area at all.

Mike
  3. yellowdisciple

yellowdisciple New Member

Well it would be nice to actualy have both types of jamming. That way you can easily make false attacks from a jammed area with a false reading unit and use a mobile jammer to sneak around with a real attack force while your opponent reacts to your false blips :twisted:

Yellow
  4. dusk108

dusk108 Member

Oh I like these ideas. I'm In yellowdisciple's boat, I didn't really play SupCom much. I dabbled in it when i picked it up cheap on a steam sale. But the idea that jammers would create false blips or just noise out the area that they cover intrigues me more than a stealth field.

Radar is one of the things that make TA an actual sci fi game, rather than just a medieval game with some sci fi window dressing like starcraft.

Still to expand on the original radar idea, what if like real life it picked up air units at farther ranges than it does land or naval units? Basically and extension of over the horizon I guess since something that cruises a km or two high if visible that much farther over the horizon. I like the idea of radar being somewhat line of sight based. Highg round and terrain advanatge and all that stuff.
  5. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Kind of the point. ;P

But yeah, Sup1's jammers, while cool, didn't behave like any formation of units in the game. When you saw a scattered blob on radar, moving in perfect unity, you pretty much instantly knew what it was.
  6. Pluisjen

Pluisjen Member

Why not? The AI is just as suspectible to false information as anyone else, if you program it like that.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

In supcom it didn't, that's what I am saying.
  8. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Member

Sorry what? Why is it that every time someone posts something with the opening phrase "I searched and couldn't find anything on this..." that I don't even need to read on to know that they didn't? I mean what did you actually search for?! Someone said once that the search tool for the forum isn't that great. I beg to differ- It's at least adequate. To prove this I used it myself and here are some of the results it yielded. Apparently it's one of the most talked about subjects on the forums. Who knew?

Also, please note that all the results appear in general discussion rather than in the private lounge...

Radar
    Feature: UI: Radar/Jamming Circles: Fill circle
    Information, Scouting, and Reporting
    Terrain stealth, cover and visibility
    No omni-sensors.
    Intel / Counter-intel idea.
    Visual detection and unit size
    RADAR: OTH, LoS and other factors/options
    Omni-radar like units are too powerful
    What cloak/decloak mechanism PA should have?
    Land Radar
    Radar LOS
    Satellites.
    Cyber Warfare
    enemy detection - radar alarm or notifications?
    Sphere worlds and LOS/radar
    Counter-Counter Intelligence measures
    Omni and stealth
    Galactic Radar/Scanner [Suggestion] [Poll]

DISCLAIMER: I haven't read all of these topics personally and it was a coarse search simply using the word "radar".
  9. hi41000

hi41000 New Member

I want radars to act like real life can detect in a large radius but really can't see what is behind that unit so for example you might have 2000 units from up while there might 10 lines they can only see the 1 lime units facing them but not what's behind them that only works if the behind unit isn't bigger. And the fact that radar can't go through a hill will make it stragticly more important on a hill or something like that. But I want spy satillites it may be costly but important cause spy satillite don't lose it's radar over that 20 foot hill and can see all the units :D hopefully that can happen but it will probably never ever happen. Oh and it be nice to get radar jamming units :p
  10. mckalistair

mckalistair New Member

I think there should be some sort of radar jamming unit/building that you can make the enemy radar accuracy go way down or just scramble it completely. This should only work over a certain area (you could possibly upgrade its range) so that its not too overpowerd. Mabey it could put more and more static (or something to that extent) on the radar screen (or what ever uber is planning) the closer you get to the jammer?
  11. gearsb

gearsb New Member

Oh TA radar jamming, what fun times we had together.

I remember one time I was playing a LAN game with a friend on the Core Prime Industrial map, I was ARM, he was CORE.

We had gotten into a stalemate position, he was on the bottom left, I was on the Upper Left.

I was constantly streaming a massive swarm of units at his base down the left side, causing him to focus on defense in the early game, and keep him from investing too much in attacking me.

about mid-game, I sent some units and engineers to the right side to build a moderate defense line, just to keep him from raiding my flank.

Or, that's what he thought.

We both usually played skirmish a lot, since we couldn't get good internet in those days for online play, or easily haul our computers around for multiplayer.

So I knew that he'd send a major attack up the right side eventually, since I was doing a more competent version of the AI's attack strategy on the left.

Which is why I built the moderate defense line on the right side.

It actually repelled a few attack groups, but wouldn't hold against an army.

Which is what I wanted him to see.

That defense line was actually pretty heavy on air defense, to keep him from rolling the fog back with scouts and revealing all the radar jammers behind the defense line, along with the minelayers putting down nuclear mines all over the place.

And the second, much heavier, defense line beyond that.

So eventually, he builds his defense up enough that he can divert his attention to build up a secret army to break through my 'defense line' on the right side of the map.

After a while, he sends a huge force led by two Krogoths and a ton of T2 units.

My first defense line doesn't stand up long, and the dragon teath fence is quickly destroyed, letting the army move up the right side.

Which is when I activate the nuclear mines, heavily damaging both krogoths, and blowing away quite a few of his T2 units.

Then I set my 2nd defense line to 'fire at will'.

Which finished off the two Krogoths and the rest of his army.

Shortly after that, I basically swept him from the map as my army that I'd been building up for a while swept down the right side and into his base.
  12. tollman

tollman Member

haha, nice. I like stories like that and have tried similar things before myself.