The Multi-player/Single-player gap

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by YourLocalMadSci, February 13, 2013.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

It comes with the territory, I am 10 times more likely to play an AI then a computer.

Hell I even play the practice mod bots of TF2.

I just don't like dealing with people, especially compeditive ones.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

And that was funded by 46 thousand people, Supreme Commander sold at least a million copies I believe, so that means at best 0.046%.

Obviously is not really an accurate number in regards to the actual number of people that go online even once, but I figure it should help give some perspective.

Mike
  3. doctorzuber

doctorzuber New Member

This sums it up nicely.

Many players, just don't want to deal with the added stress and aggravation of competing online. So they don't.
  4. doctorzuber

doctorzuber New Member

I've seen various numbers thrown around on this subject. No two places agree on the exact percentage, although it ranges somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of gamers actually play multiplayer. The rest do not.

When you're talking about something that's going to affect literally over half your customer base you really should take it more seriously. Single player content, is not optional.
  5. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

Single player content is expensive to make, and short-lived.

Focus on an enduringly interesting multiplayer experience for PA. This should be obvious. Everything with respect to lore, story, plot, etc. can be phoned in, pretty much like TA did it. All of that is an excuse to justify the type of gameplay they wanted to create. And TA's campaign was really, really weak, but nobody cared. Because the multiplayer was excellent, and lasted for years and years.

For players who don't want to play multiplayer, maybe this isn't the type of game for you. There are a lot of very compelling single player experiences out there, from Half Life to The Walking Dead to Mirror's Edge.
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Heratic!

Burn him, burn his preferances!
  7. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

I believe the Galactic War, if available in single player, would take care of most singe player needs. Especially if it had a Rogue-like format like FTL.
  8. jg325

jg325 New Member

but see, in this case it is not, single player would be fighting AI's, like the CIV series, and it is not very expensive, unless they are paying Sorian too much. And those games you mention are nice, but are honestly nothing compaired to this, this is a tre revolution in gaming.
  9. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Just because YOU don't like single player in RTS games doesn't mean everyone doesn't. We don't even mean full blown campaigns, even just skirmish vs AI. EVERYONE plays those and will play those because they help you learn the game and practice in a controlled environment. I have no interest in playing SupCom online because I know I suck, but I still like to play the game in AI skirmishes, and I know that's going to be the case in PA as it is with EVERY RTS
  10. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

Skirmish vs AI is just a multiplayer game played against an AI. It's not really a "single player game" so much as a multiplayer game you are electing not to play with people.

Every bit of effort put into making multiplayer fun will also pay off in AI skirmishes. Not so for a single player campaign- any work on such a campaign is just gone.
  11. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Haha what? That came somewhat out of leftfield.

Care to explain what your thought processes are?
  12. ayceeem

ayceeem New Member

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Hahah I see. Well I for one will be arranging walls in the shape of reproductive organs to make sure that the game is as Mature as possible.
  14. drsinistar

drsinistar Member

Oh noes! Drunk robots drinking cocaine-laced vodka! :eek: