Am I The Only One Who...

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by furlock, February 17, 2013.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

If I remember correctly, wasn't FA patched becuse of how heavy artillery was shooting down planes?

I remember when I first herd of it and was like: "Did people really complain about this? What the hell? Shooting planes with artillery was one of the dev's selling points for SupCom!"
  2. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

It's still in the game.
  3. igncom1

I know, but the idea that you would change is just seems outlandish to me.

I grew up with TA, so watch my artillery shoot down scouts was quite normal!
  4. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

IIRC, it was more because of how Supcom-vanilla Broadswords could rip through ASFs any time their AG guns score a lucky hit. I was shocked the first time I saw it, but then it kept happening. Lots of changes happened since.

Killing 200 gunships with a single shell also played a pretty big role. That's mostly the fault of clumped air pathing, which is something that Sorian desires to fix for PA.
  5. igncom1

6. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

There's an awful lot of talking at cross-purposes going on here.

Ign, a bomber rush in FA was valid for a time IF you played Seraphim and IF you were excellent at micro to the point of abusing the system. It has since been patched out by changing the bomber's stats. The ACU does not have any AA capability and early bombers are not overpowered.

Even back when you could use a Sera bomber to kill all the expansion engineers, anyone trying this without the necessary micro skills would probably not succeed, and due to the amount they'd sunk into energy production at the expense of everything else they would probably lose soon after.

In short, you're exaggerating a problem that barely existed in FA and doesn't exist any more, and extrapolating it to a game where nothing has yet been decided about balance.
  7. igncom1

Ow well if the bombers arn't that deadly then it ok the right?

Hey, tanks arn't that deadly either, so I guess we can just go and get rid of the commanders man weapon too, as you know, tanks arn't any more deadly then bombers.
  8. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

T1 units in Supcom were basically ants compared to the Commander (and T3 stuff). They didn't hurt much, but the Comm also had a hard time killing them back. It was mutually assured annoyance.

T1 units in TA were much closer to equals. If it wasn't for the D-gun, a few bots would kill the Commander. With the D-gun, enemy bots die before they open fire, making the Comm more of a glass cannon. T1 units also had a much better chance against T2 stuff.

It is unknown which way things will happen in PA. But the latter is more likely, as we won't be seeing the huge orders of magnitude that Supcom tiers had. The starting units in PA are more likely going to be comparable to Supcom's Tech 2 layer(IMO the best layer of the game), rather than the tiny T1 stuff. If aircraft follow the same trend, then some sort of early game tweak will be needed.
  9. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

No need for that, Uber have just announced a new super unit called the Straw Man which can defeat any argument you throw at it.
  10. igncom1

11. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

Ign what rig have you got then?
  12. igncom1

My comp?

errrr...ok then.

More details about my computer

will that do ya?
  13. Malkara

Malkara New Member

I think this entire discussion can simply be solved by a "rushing disabled" option in the lobby with which the commander gets AA, or the AA/defensive units/structures are cheaper in the first x minutes of the game, or really any solution offered by the community.
  14. igncom1

I don't see why giving a commander a AA weapon stops rushing, it stops players from sniping the commander at the begining of the game, but doesn't do much to prevent rsuhing an opponents engineers and economy.
  15. xcupx

xcupx Member

@ign
    So, after all this, I'm gonna just jump in and say... so if your turtling strategy doesn't work try a new one.

I used to do the same thing, then i watched the tutorial from FAF. They talked about how to best utilize your early resource income and produce units. Even after being a turtler for most of my gaming career I tried it, and wow it works. AND the better part is that its really fun! and you don't have to wait for mid-game to have huge epic battles! just remember two mass extractors for each factory and you can indefinitely spawn T1s. This goes for air AND land factories, so if you find yourself being attacked by bombers a lot, you build a couple air factories instead of ground factories and build fighters while you build tanks. It's fun, you should try it sometime. I usually end up forgetting about my commander or relegating him to building Pgens. and the really fun part is, no turrets. Cause you don't need 'em.
  16. igncom1

You are skipping the point.

It's not about getting to the mid game units or tech, its about getting pas the whole commander has no AA part.

Sure you can build AA, but why can't the commander have an AA gun?

What is the problem people are having with that concept, that idea?

It is not a straw mans argument either to say that having an AA gun on the commander is the same as having a normal gun.

So most of you seem to be avoiding the point I am trying to make.
  17. Timevans999

no ssd then and also a baby K
  18. Timevans999

win 7 premium is not really a gamers operating system you need a minimium of pro to enable ram arrays of over 16 gig. Have you got an overclock on your baby K?
  19. igncom1

20. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

Ohhh you talk about Economy 101 ? You made me happy, I know I've reached at least one player with it :)