Unit / Commander designing and modding.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by thefreemon, February 12, 2013.

1. thefreemon

thefreemon Member

I want to start teaching myself some unit design, 3D modeling and the sorts. I know I'll have to learn the ropes with something like 3DMax and maybe other software. I have some amateurish experience with the Hammer Editor from Valve for map making and I have a faint memory that I've tried Maya or 3DMax at some point in my life (It's all a blur though. Crazy nights...)

Any active modders or even Uber Devs out there willing to give me some hints? What software would you recommend for some Commander/Unit/Building design and modelling? Maybe some interesting sites or books on the subject? What does it take to animate the whole thing? I can Google my way into the subject but some hints from the pros would be very very welcome!

There might be other future modders out there with the same or similar questions on the subject, feel free to share them below. ;)
  2. scalestor

scalestor New Member

Additional questions:

• Will there be a Blender importer?
    • If yes, what about animations import and the wise (a comparison with SupCom would be appreciated)?
    • What kind of data format will be used for texturing?

Reason is that I (or others) might be porting a mod from SupCom to PA. Since there are already plenty of meshes, it might be helpful.
  3. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

What mods are you thinking of importing?

Besides, I dont think ported units will even look good, since the units in FA, compared to PA are a vastly different style, as is te textures, so it wouldnt look good at all.
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Just make things. we don't know anything about what's coming down the pipe from Uber in terms of file formats(last I heard was they were looking at .fbx) or how models need to be rigged. The thing is that the basic concepts of modeling in 3D space are the same across all programs, it's just the tools can be different across platforms.

Don't start with the things you want to do, that's the quickest way to lose hope.

As above, we know next to nothing about those kinds of things.

Don't forget that the original Artists hold the copyright to thier artwork and that Square Enix holds the IP to the entirety of the Supreme Commander Franchise.

Mike
  5. scalestor

scalestor New Member

Well, I might be considered at one of the original Artists, and since not even the faction is part of the SupCom Franchise, we should be free to transfer it.

And yeah, we're slowly getting the mod done in SupCom