About the construction symbol

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by thundercleez, February 9, 2013.

1. thundercleez

thundercleez Member

I just watched the stream from Feb 8th and saw that there seems to be a bit of a controversy over the black and yellow construction symbol (or whatever you want to call it).

I think it looked cool on the commander's construction arm, but I thought having it cover the treads of the construction vehicle looked bad. It made the unit look flat and uninteresting. The construction symbol was just completely overpowering.

I'm not sure that the construction vehicles should have the construction symbol on them at all. Considering this is more of a futuristic game in a world run by robots, it doesn't really make sense to me to use it very much. I'd think the robots would have developed their own construction symbol which would probably look more like a circuit board or interlocking cogs.

What do other people think?
  2. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

I thought it looked cool yesterday in the stream. Its not design to look realistic. It is designed that the players can easily find the construction units (Im sure I would find them anyway as I would render strategic icons always :D)
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Let the engie-symbol look yellow-black-ish ;D
  4. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

It's the same construction symbol as in TA, so no complaints here :) .
  5. grmp

grmp New Member

It is like TA and makes it easily identifiable really like it
  6. svovlmunk

svovlmunk Member

I like it. Don't change it.
  7. Spooky

Spooky Member

Why would robots develop anything visual at all, they don't need it ;).
  8. InstantMix

InstantMix Member

Didn't the TA construction units have a black and yellow checker pattern to identify them?
  9. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

First rule of gamedesign - always design things how people expect, not how they rly are. Trying make everything realistic just dont have sense
  10. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Could be the remaining echo of their past design, never removed as it would make no differance.
  11. thundercleez

thundercleez Member

Robots still need some way of processing the world around them. But it looks like everyone else is liking the design. I just thought it would be more interesting to have something a little more unique.
  12. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Steve and I are all ears if you have a specific idea.
  13. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

14. puppeh

puppeh Member

I kinda thought the same when I saw the small unit next to the commander. I quite like the idea of having something on the unit to identify its role(s), but the unit shown had too much of it IMO, perhaps a smaller section of black and yellow stripe in the middle/front or back, but having both treads like that wasn't that aesthetically pleasing to me.

The commander looked great btw ;)
  15. cobycohodas

cobycohodas Member

On a singular unit the construction symbols look nice. If you have 100 construction units power building something, it will look like a swarm of bees!
  16. lollybomb

lollybomb Member

Yellow is associated with caution. Of course while robots do need to be aware of their surroundings they often use laser imagers for the environment, IFF modules for themselves, and 2d barcodes for individual components or things they can't put an IFF on. None of these are really useful for us though.

That said I didn't see the stream last night, so don't know what the actual problem is.
  17. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

Read some of Isaac Asimov's science fiction. He invented the word "robotics" and thoroughly explored the theology of their existence before the first computers were even invented

By some of his writings, you could assume that robots of advanced enough intelligence would recognize human design work done to them in their past with a similar sort of nostalgia that some of us humans feel to styles of bygone decades. Considering these robots are continuing the endless war humans began, you'd think they'd have some pretty strong cognitive alliances with the original group of humans who constructed them

So the commanders would use the yellow-black construction lines because it's totally vintage, man!
  18. joe4324

joe4324 New Member

It IS a swarm of bees! delicious wonderful mech building bees ;)
  19. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

On that note, why should robots have team colors at all? Wouldn't it be better to obscure a unit's allegiance?
  20. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

And why have easy to read units? Doesn't that make them easier to see?!

Lets make all of the units look the same so the enemy will never know!