PA LiveStream: February 8th, 2013

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, February 6, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Last one was uploaded (and viewable) about 45 minutes after the live stream ended. :) Mostly it's the upload time between twitch and youtube.
  2. zachb

zachb Member

I am guessing that two smaller pieces that are sort of working on their own got hooked together to make something bigger, so for example the flow fields have been hooked up with the 3D models and we can see some robots marching around. Or the AI can poke at the biome generation and we can see how pathfinding or AI base building works on random maps.
  3. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

I reckon they might show a commander or two they've been working on actually. Would be pretty cool to see one animated.
  4. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Member

Anyone else think this will be a showcase of unit AI?
  5. movra

movra Member

Clearly a frozen planet and a gas giant.
  6. syox

syox Member

My bet: The first oficial ingame engine Planet blown up by a asteroid.
  7. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

Engine demo.

If i remember well, it has been told in last November Live Stream that an engine demo will be done at the end of the year/start of new one.
  8. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

Is the stream ment to start now? Or do I still have to wait?
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Starts at 1pm on the American west coast(-8 PST) so not for an hour and 15 minutes as of the time of this post.

Mike
  10. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

Guess I'll play at some Grid meanwhile.
  11. Guardious

Guardious New Member

Twitch sucks for chat ,

"hey, so sense all the units are the same, you are going to use colors (which is obvious) will you use other imagry to deal with this? IE glow, sounds more?"
  12. ultramarine777

ultramarine777 Member

Awesome Delta Commander.
  13. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

It's also instantly available to watch on Twitch. It'll be in the video archive section.

There is a HUGE LoL tourny today on Twitch. Extreme chat lag is to be expected.
  14. lynxnz

lynxnz Member

nice work steve! :cool:

awesome presentation on delta commander. loved the animation of it too (can we get as screensaver / propaganda machine??)
  15. Pluisjen

Pluisjen Member

Is there a youtube video up yet?
  16. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

It's been uploading for a while. :) It takes generally an hour to fully upload and process on their servers.
  17. Bouncer2000

Bouncer2000 Member

Waiting for it.... :)
  18. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

19. jungleelf

jungleelf New Member

The animations of the Delta Commander REALLY looked cool! If some of this shows up on the other units as well, this alone will mean a lot of fun. Also, I liked the triangular design idea for the construction device of the commander, Steve. You could put that on another commander where it would be more fitting to the rest of the body. And, the shoulder fins look cool, too. Especially with the animations. They really could hold a bunch of small missiles for shooting volleys every now and then. Maybe aa missiles.
    To have some kind of construction device/vehicle design theme is really nice. It's good to be able to immediately be able to differentiate between combat units and construction units. It`s also cool to have this yelllow/black striped patches on the corresponding units.

I go in line with the idea that there are no live weather effects going on in the game like snow or rain falling, fog and such. Those are interesting elements, of course, but they hinder gameplay I think. It also would annoy me if units would skitter on icy surfaces or got stuck in the mud.

I also go in line with John's philosophy about upgrading units during the game. That (upgrading) does have exiting aspects to it but especially with a game of this scale, where you have to pay attention to a lot of places and processes at the same time, this extra development might make it too "mechanism crowded" if you know what I mean. And then, think about an army of tanks being on the way to the enemy's base, being suddenly able to defend themselves against aircraft because you upgraded them. From a tactical point it provides much more depth if you have to mix up units in order to make the formation fit for different roles. That's what reality shows anyway. Of course the game is set in the far future but the basic truth is this: you can make something good or exeptionally good in one aspect but if you want it to perform in several roles it won't exel in all. It would be boring, by the way, if you could just build a large army consisting of one type of unit and then upgrade the units so that this army could deal with every threat. Upgrading units in terms of firepower or durability would, in my opinion, also have undesirable effects on gameplay. Imagine these 50 robots approching your outpost. You know about their performance and therefore don't send reinforcements. But then, suddenly they are upgraded and the whole situation changes. The larger the number of units affected by an upgrade the bigger the effect! Some may like the tactical and strategic consequences of this but I like it better without this sudden ballance changers like unit upgrades. It provides a much cleaner gameplay.
  20. psychopigeon

psychopigeon New Member

this is best game