For Backers Only: Delta Commander V2

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, February 5, 2013.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Yes, the shoulders are too large, I have no issue with the overall design or function, but if they were 10-20 percent shorter(1-3 of the holes on the flaps) I'd be 100% on board with this design, right now I'm sitting at about 85-95%.

Mike
  2. sstagg1

sstagg1 Member

Just comparing between the two models, and the new arm definitely helps.

I'm with Mike with the wings though. Could we see them a bit smaller? I don't think I would have an issue with it if they closed though, since they seem to be a distinguishing feature.

Maybe it's just me, but Uber Cannon doesn't quite roll of the tongue like d-gun :p

Uberator (Uber Annihilator) anyone?

Although I'm sure Uber Cannon will grow on me...
  3. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Nice redesign on the arms - for some reason it makes me think of the ghost trap from Ghost Busters. Looks good tho. Makes the whole model feel more complete.

As for the wings / shoulder things, I have to agree with Mike that they still seem overly large, BUT with the caveat that there are some animation possibilities that would make it fit (eg if the pods popped up when the commander fired his special weapons or something) - there's gotta be a reason you guys don't want to change it :)

My last question is about visibility - there's a fair bit of yellow in the top down view, and considering this is the view you'll be looking at the most, is it perhaps an idea to make the cubic bits at the back partly team colored?
  4. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Nothing wrong with Shoulders Of Doom.
    I like to think of this one as the 80's Commander. :)

U-Cannon?
  5. doud

doud Well-Known Member

I love it even much more :shock:

2 questions :

1) Are each commander weapons definitly fixed ? No chance at all to customize each commander with different set of arms/shoulder ? if no, is it related to gameplay/balance concern or to the time it takes to design a large variety of weapons ? I was thinking of a screen where before entering the battle you can choose your commander and its equipement (like in FPS where you have to choose your soldier classe & weapons).

2) From a technical perspective, is the in game commander as much detailed as the concept pictures ? How many polygons are expected for a commander or any other Unit ?

Thx ;)
  6. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

This looks absolutely fantastic. A+
  7. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Member

LOL I see what you did there! I have to agree it's very 80's shoulder pads vogue.

I really like this design. It's not my cup of tea personally, but I don't see what all the ball-aching about the shoulders is about. People asked for readability and the shoulders make this instantly recognisable - particularly from distance. They are in keeping with the design and it's consistent and well rounded. It also fits in with the rest of the game art and the other commanders whilst retaining it's own clear identity.

The changes to the arms are good and necessary. I hope this will be considered when the rest of the commanders are designed too.
  8. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

I like a robot with large shoulder.
    By the way, it is an appropriate improvement. :)
  9. DeadMG

DeadMG Member

I like it. Couple more nitpicks:

The red/green is too hard to read on the green Commander. It looks like the left arm is just the same colour as the rest of him. I think that the colour should be dynamically picked so that the two arm colours maximally contrast his primary body colour.

Secondly, the position and size of the barrel on the right arm looks funky. The barrel should not be the same size as the arm plate it comes out of, and in addition, it should be on the top, not on the bottom. Preferably, the top would be a smidge wider than the bottom, too.
  10. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Neutrino has covered this in some detail in the Delta V1 thread.

This post pretty much covers it along with addressing the custom commander panic merchants:
    viewtopic.php?p=663681#p663681

Glad you liked it.

And you make an excellent point there.
  11. Bouncer2000

Bouncer2000 Member

looks way better now. really good! the only little little thing I still don't like quite much, is that the feet look a bit too small... with this big arms and small feet, it looks like the commander will fall over :)
  12. drduval

drduval New Member

Very nice. Although the feet seem to small for such a big heavy commander.
  13. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

@Devs/Neutrino, How many colors will we got? I want many similar to orange and orange :p
  14. mcodl

mcodl Member

Garat, this Delta Commander V2 looks AWESOME in my opinion!

Is it just me or does the new Delta look even more mean :D

Edit: now that I notice the point about the legs posted previously: they could use some more mass
  15. paprototype

paprototype Member

Definitely an improvement.

As I said before, form should follow function.
    It is great to see which function each arm has.

"Enemy incoming, charge the Uber cannon, NOW!!!"
  16. sstagg1

sstagg1 Member

I'm not sure if everyone noticed, but the only thing they changed is the stance and the arm. And even the arm was only changed at the front. Impossible to tell from above / behind. To say it's a significant improvement is a little odd.

I agree this one is better though. I was fine with the original, and the new arm does help.

I would still prefer smaller wings or wings that close, and some indication from all angles of the different arm.

That said, I would definitely be fine with using this one. What's next? :p
  17. Pluisjen

Pluisjen Member

I love it! It looks very menacing.
  18. stevenside

stevenside Member

this is awesome. shoulders are a good way to identify what type of commander this is at the field, so might aswell keep them as they are. Legs could be abit bigger tho, yet overallt its pretty good :)

Looking forward to next (maybe final?) update!
  19. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Sweet design. :D

Reminds me of the HiZack from Gundam.
    [​IMG]
    Makes me all nostalgic for my love of giant robots <3
  20. movra

movra Member

Shoulders too large? Don't make me laugh.

[​IMG]