mini PA engine for fans

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by ozonexo3, January 23, 2013.

1. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

Is the update going well so far?
  2. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

Yes, it will be fun :) I will publish tomorrow about 16 (gmt+1) and i hope people will like it. Probably will be the last update, but i dont know yet for sure.
  3. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

ozonex, cool engine, but your orbit mechanics are not correct ;)
  4. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

Why? What exacly do you think is wrong?
  5. kryovow

the outer planets always move slower, inner planets go faster.
    you wrote, that your planets can have their speed set => if so, and if its possible to set it to any speed, it will always be wrong from a physics point of view ;)
    also the path of the asteroid crashing in the planet, its highly instationary. Thats unrealistic. A orbit of a asteroid doesnt simply change without influence from the outside (like a rocket engine, impact or a swing by maneuver ;))

if you want to make a realistic simulation of orbits, you need to learn orbit mechanics ;)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbit
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vis-viva_equation

im not saying you need to ;)
  6. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

I dont think giving phisics for planets is good, from the gameplay point of view. I can do it, but why?
    Asteroid have kickstart power variable, to simulate engines or what you want. Even for asteroids im not sure if physic is something good, it can be hard to control where it should crash. I spend 1h to set it as it is now, to fly so long without crashing or leaving system.
  7. kryovow

as I said, its not necessary, but I for my part hope, that PA in its final state will pay some attention to physics. (not 100%, but the major points at least)
  8. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

My impression is that in the game you will be able to add engines to asteroids, then you tell the game where you want it to land, games does some mostly easy math (mainly a matter of timing things and knowing all future positions of the target), and then it executes. That way it naturally follows orbits, until the players get involved :twisted: .

Following normal orbits by default is nice because it should be at least mostly stable, repeated and predictable, see where something goes and it will end up in that spot again. I'm not suggesting your engine needs to do that math part I suggested or anything really anything I suggested.
  9. memorykill

memorykill New Member

This is so cool...omg... wow, i wish i friggin did programming...if i knew even a small amount i could do such interesting stuff, im purely design though, recommend any good places to start?

But on this little project, wow so impressed!

IDEAS TIMES!

- Let us click and maybe drag some of those asteroids out of there stable orbit to spin around around the planets and crash :D
    - Breakable planets? are you able to add deformation at all?
    - SOUND :D (i know its space, but it doesnt technically exist, please, no debates on this with me, google it lol)
    - And erm yeah, keep at is, dont make it public yet! this is ours :D!
  10. tigerwarrior

tigerwarrior Active Member

11. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

wait for next release, you will have a chanse to start your andventure with programing, and do other things, that you cant do now in this :) (like creating asteroids! ctrl+c, ctrl+v is awesome :D)

why? im doing this to help in PA, not for my personal reasons. More people will get this, than more things we can test before alfa
  12. holycow1

holycow1 New Member

It's stuck on the welcome screen for me... Play button doesn't progress to anything.

-Regards
  13. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

sorry, im uploading resorces for tomorrow's update, and by that time it will not work
  14. syox

syox Member

Aehm u know that, this isnt solveable? At least not with some kind of Formula.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-body_problem
  15. Causeless

Causeless Member

Of course it's solveable, or at least as much as it needs to be.

You could use a physics engine to approximate it, or just assume that each body can only be affected relative to another and use conics for a single compution to find an objects orbit. The second option may sound buggy and inaccurate, but it isn't really. Hell, it was good enough that NASA used it when going to the moon as thier computers wouldn't handle a proper simulation.
  16. syox

syox Member

Did you read the link?

I know that there are approximation methods or numerical iterative algorithms. But these are mostly created for special cases (in example for our Solar System). Or are just vague.

If you want to create a general algorithm here is the stuff you need:
    http://math.bu.edu/people/cew/preprints/introkam.pdf

I for my part am very pleased with circular or elliptic planetary orbits. After all its a Fan-project no sience.
    Last edited: February 1, 2013
  17. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

And you know that the Two body solutions, i.e. Kepler orbits, are generally good enough, as long as you don't mind loosing long term validity and things like the Lagrange points (Which ARE a solution to the 3 body problem). We don't really care about how Jupiter slowly causes the moons orbit to drift, and things like that for PA.
  18. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

19. Causeless

Causeless Member

We don't need purely circular / elliptic orbits. You can patch multiple conic sections together to get interplanetary travel and slingshot orbits well enough.
  20. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

http://ozonex.pl/planetaryannihilation/ ... ources.rar

You can find unity here: http://unity3d.com/unity/download/archive
    Just download free version (unity 4.0.1, or 3.5.7) and HF! :D

All code is in C# in folder Assets/scripts/

All levels in Assets/scenes/
    neutrinoSystem.unity is a scene, where you can find asteroid, and units
    GalacticWar.unity have galactic map
    And GenerateSystem is a blank scene, with hud, sun, and script that generates system.
    Other scenes are for loading screen

in Assets/gfx you can find all graphic stuff - models, animations, textures.

Assets/Prefabs have elements used for system generator