Server

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by snownebula, January 29, 2013.

1. snownebula

snownebula Member

Was just wondering about the server side of the game. I seen on the other post about cloud servers, I am wondering if you are planning on having a grid / cluster basded server as well? Are you planning on leaning toward the more turdional command based prompt server or are you going to make a gui one with options?

I have 40 servers just sitting around and was hoping I could use them to host a huge server. I dont know exactialy how to do cloud hosting. But I can setup a cluster or grid based enviroment.
  2. syox

syox Member

o_O

....Admin?
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Aaaand snowbella takes the lead in the largest privately owned PA server cluster race.
  4. sstagg1

sstagg1 Member

Oh my gosh, I just spit food all over my keyboard. Laughing so hard.
  5. zachb

zachb Member

Yeah I kind of wonder what specifically people are going on about when they talk about cloud computing these days.

I remember back in college we did parallel processing where you'd use more than one processing thread to run a program with something like Open MP.
    http://openmp.org/wp/

Back in the day there was this admin software that would let us network a computer lab together so you could get at all their processors. But I'd assume now that a lot of PCs have 4+ processors in them you'd have to handle parallel processing on nearly everything just to get the most out whatever machine your program is running on.

Open MP was really nice because of how scalable it was. you could write a program and start up as many threads as you wanted to, and as processors became free they'd automatically grab a thread. So you could write a program that didn't have an upper limit on the amount of processors it could use. For example you could have a for loop where each each iteration of the loop could be it's own thread. And if the for loop could run for 1000 iterations it could try to grab 1000 different processors, or just grab as many processors as are available at the time and throw the extra threads in the end of the queue.

Granted I have no clue what PA is doing about multiple processors
  6. Thorzon

Thorzon New Member

I was hopeing to run this on a 2-4 core with about 8 gigs or RAM. Are normal servers not going to be able to handle PA and you need multiple on a cluster to run a big game?
  7. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

What kind of outgoing bandwidth do you have for these 40 servers?
  8. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

It may be worth surveying everyone in general, to see what kind of internets they have.
  9. neutrino

It only matters if you are going to run a server for external people.
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Lol support for server-clusters.

How about making PA capable of using supercomputers? Maybe somebody has a spare calculations-monster that we could use to make a 1000000 Planets game.
    That kind of game would probably boring, because every PA-player there is would have dozens of planets to expand and nobody would have a reason to ever attack, but whatever xD

The question about the bandwidth is a good one, though:

Are there already indications of how much bandwidth are used per player for a server?
    ...probably not, I know xD
  11. RealTimeShepherd

RealTimeShepherd Member

Currently my planned server setup is for an 8-core machine, with 64GB of RAM. (No, I can't compete with snownebula)

I'm hoping to run medium sized games for me and my ten friends (yes, I have exactly ten friends...)

Upload is 8Mb (BT Infinity), I'm assuming that this setup is likely to be sufficient for my modest purposes. Anyone care to venture an opinion?
  12. Saber2243

Saber2243 New Member

You could use the drop in drop out system to make a year long game or so it could be pretty awesome!
  13. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

And so be it the greatest game ever developed arises, where there are thousands of nations playing for dominance on an insane scale.
  14. neutrino

Back of the envelope I think you should be fine.
  15. asgo

asgo Member

well if you let it run on a supercomputer, you could increase the physics simulation part, there doing that there anyhow. ;)
    But in that case it would be more of a problem to connect a client from the outside to the server, but you could always run a game with hundreds of AIs. :)

aside from that, the cluster question would be interesting still, if you could run one server on for example 2 standard PCs, to run a bigger server (assuming the network connection is good enough, etc).
  16. Satch3L

Satch3L Member

I'm hoping to run a server on my linux dual core, 4GB ram machine. At least I have 100/100 fiber internet. :)
  17. snownebula

snownebula Member

Each has its own static ip dsl 50/50 mps connection. All linked with a 1k gig lan backbone switch.
  18. snownebula

snownebula Member

The exact server specs are as follows:

40x Dell PowerEdge 1750
    Dual Xeon 3.06 Ghz 64 bit dual core each (yes you can run 32 bit on them I tested.)
    4 Gigs ram @ 800 MHz
    1x 36 GB HD @ 15k rpm
    1x 100 MB LAN
    1x 1 GB LAN

I can run both windows or linux on them. I use one as a linux sql server.
  19. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

[​IMG]
  20. otlichno

otlichno New Member

My Cluster is almost as fast as your 40 with my 5 ;)

5 Servers each with: (4 DL380G5s and 1 Rackable)
    2 x Quad Core Xeon Procs (Pre-Turbo)
    32GB of RAM
    4 have 3* 36GB 15K SAS with 5 * 146GB 10K SAS
    1 Has 4 * 250GB 7.2K SATA
    Sadly only a 22Mb/22Mb connection though

That's not counting all the other crap I have lying around, Anyone need a 4U Dl585 G1? Or older 1U IBM servers? Or PE2850s? Heck I even have spare APC L5-20 Powestrips I want to off load. And as I think more, there is also a Cisco Catalyst 5505 in there as well. I need to stop collecting stuff....

**Edit Fixing Generation of 585
    Last edited: February 4, 2013