Official Localization Thread

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, January 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Welcome all, here is the official translation/localization thread for all things Planetary Annihilation.

Some general rules of this thread in particular:
    - Please stay on topic, it's gonna be a big thread.
    - Discuss the details of specific translations on the localization site, unless it needs to be discussed in more detail than the comments section allows for (See 3. in the image below)
    - Have fun, make suggestions on ways to improve things, and get involved.
    - This thread will be cleaned a little more aggressively than most, as old posts get stale or not relevant to the current conversation.
    - This will stay a backers only post for now, probably until we're close to beta. If you have someone who's not a backer but is excited to help out, please invite them directly, but don't re-link on Facebook, twitter, etc. All the other rules of "Backers only" forum apply. :)

The tool (http://www.getlocalization.com/PALocalization/):

1. This is a list of all strings uploaded. You can filter by quality (I'll get to that), untranslated, or translated, or alternatively, All Strings. In general, most of you will want to spend your time either in Sorted by Quality or Untranslated Strings filters.
    2. This is the specific string to be translated.
    3. This field provides any context for the translation, as well as a place to discuss it. Please feel free to make use of it.
    4. This is where any existing translations, or system suggested translations are stored. A human translation will show a source like you see here "mscattergood". If the system has a recommended translation, you can also copy the best one as your translation and post it.
    5. Enter your translation suggestion here IF either no translation exists, or you strongly feel the current options don't provide an ideal translation of the sentence.
    6. This is every bit as important as area 5. This is how the "quality" filter is derived. To arrive at quality translations, the best choice available needs to be voted up. When we download translations, it automatically downloads the "best" choice, as determined by the community. SO we rely heavily on you all to use the Up thumb to vote for the best translations, even if it is someone elses. :) Please only use the "report user" feature if someone is clearly abusing the system or spamming in garbage. And only vote up the translations you think are best.

If you have questions or are in doubt, please feel free to ask questions in this thread. To participate, all you need to do is create a free account at getlocalization.com. I'd recommend using an ID Uber can recognize, as we will likely be providing some special thanks to active/regular contributors to the translation process.

Attached Files:

brianpurkiss and shootall like this.
  2. garat

Current Translation Projects:

Last Updated: Jan. 28th, 2013

http://store.uberent.com main page: Started January 28th, 2013, 1500 Pacific Time.
    - Status: Need quality voting on Danish, German, Korean, Russian and Swedish
    - Status: Need translations still on Portuguese, French, Spanish, and others
  3. garat

All right.. first pass of some longer term work is up and ready to go. This is for the pre-order website. After this, I'll be working on getting all the strings for the planetaryannihilation.com website.

All languages are important from this point forward, since this isn't really a test any more. :) The more the merrier.

I will see about adding a pirate and maybe a few other fun languages, but probably not for a bit. I want to make sure this works well with our code bases first.
  4. redarrow7216

redarrow7216 Member

Check out this interview with the Howard! -> what? :D
  5. garat

Wow.. ok, yah, not sure how I missed that. We'll make sure the english string gets fixed. :) Thanks for catching that! Please translate as appropriate. Without the extraneous the.
  6. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Question for the German translation:
    "You" can be translated as "Sie" (formal) or "Du" (informal). We should stick to one form for everything. Which would you prefer?
  7. garat

Personally, I prefer the du informal. But it's mostly "what's more standard".. for games and adverts, do they tend to use the formal case or the informal? We should probably stick with what ever is more typical.
  8. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

So... "du" is the official form? German is strange, right? :D
  9. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Meh... I can't enter translations anymore. :evil:
  10. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

No idea honestly. I haven't played a game in German in years. If it's not available in English I skip the title. Have raged over horrible lokalizations too much in the past. I'll try t find some ads and look at them. :D
    nutbag1911 and purecaldari like this.
  11. logon

logon Member

Translated the entire Swedish one.

Hope someone else looks it over incase there is something i did not understand or could be formalized better!
  12. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

So, you guys want to keep the names (of game and units, such as 'Planetary Annihilation', 'Theta Commander') untranslated into another language? How about the language use its own character such as Korean?
  13. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

I would stick to "du" in german.
  14. terrormortis

terrormortis Member

I would also stick to "du", I always feel old if someone greets me with a formal "Sie" ^^
  15. nobodyakagi

nobodyakagi New Member

There we go, I've done the danish translation now, we just need some more feedback for it ^_^
  16. Satch3L

Satch3L Member

I'm taking a look at it right now. Adding some alternatives and better formalizations :)
  17. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

+1 for the german informal "Du".
  18. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

I just finished Korean part, though it still need more feedback and corrections...
    Are Paypal, Kickstarter proper names that should not be translated too?
    I did not 'translate' them but I wrote the names in Hangul.
  19. nobodyakagi

nobodyakagi New Member

I don't think they should be translated, at least not PayPal since it's the name of the service, much like you wouldn't translate youtube :)
  20. garat

That's just a general rule. Certain cultures or regions have their own standards, and you should stick with what makes sense. :) I"m assuming there is no proper character for "Uber Entertainment" so that should probably remain untranslated in it's entirety, but if you have characters that literally mean "Theta Commander", you should go for it. As for Planetary Annihilation, I suppose it would depend on if it was 100% on translation. If it loses anything in translation, it should probably stay in English. How are other Western games identified in Korea? (I'll google too, but a reaction from someone who knows is more trustworthy)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.