"very simple playable game"

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by thedbp, January 26, 2013.

1. thedbp

thedbp Member

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01 ... ihilation/

... is this for real?
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Yeah, I hear they call it "Game Development"! ;p

Mike
  3. thedbp

thedbp Member

but I didn't think they had gotten much further than the super basic stuff and concept art. I didn't even think they had a working planet generator yet.
  4. KNight

..........have you been keeping up? Mavor showed a WIP Planet Generator in the first live stream, and it has been 3+ months since the KS ended, and Uber did some ground work even prior to that.

It's not that hard to believe, it'd have to happen eventually!

Mike
  5. thedbp

thedbp Member

no that was concept art. in the latest live stream they said they hadn't finished the planet generator yet so the pictures we saw was just the way they intended the generator to work.
  6. KNight

..........have you been keeping up? Mavor showed a WIP Planet Generator in the first live stream, and it has been 3+ months since the KS ended, and Uber did some ground work even prior to that.

It's not that hard to believe, it'd have to happen eventually![/quote]
    no that was concept art. in the latest live stream they said they hadn't finished the planet generator yet so the pictures we saw was just the way they intended the generator to work.[/quote]
    No, the first live stream had the Planet generator in a WIP state, Mavor demonstrated it himself.

Mike
  7. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

Playable is pretty vague.

Could be as simple as making boxes move around on that blob of a planet.
  8. fishsicles

fishsicles New Member

I cannot speak for Uber's development process, but as a programmer myself I find the existence of a playable prototype 100% believable.

The "very simple" probably means "not even a fraction of the completed game's complexity"; rather, it is a way for the developers to test the basic functionality of the game's components, and more importantly to test how they interact with each other.
  9. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

No-one saw my recent updates where I said I have tanks driving around shooting lasers at each other? I even have them leaving wreckage behind when they die now :). It definitely still looks like a prototype, but there is some gameplay starting to emerge.
  10. KNight

I learned of it, but didn't want to blow your cover! ;p

Mike
  11. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Tanks can move around and shoot each other? That's practically an alpha. Ship it. ;)
  12. thedbp

thedbp Member

13. bobucles

I'd just like to point out that part of the kickstarter reward is an in depth background on the game's development. You can't get any better than a hands on proto-game.

It may be inappropriate to release such a thing now (high expectations etc.), but definitely package that thing up. It belongs in the extras menu!
  14. christopher1006

christopher1006 Member

At best I think that it would be interesting to show some video of what the prototype looks like in a documentary doing an overview of how the game was developed. To let people play that when they already have the finished game serves no purpose other than make everyone wonder why it's in the extras menu.
  15. bobucles

Why stop at only a video? The best way to show how a game looks and evolves under development, is to provide first hand experience. Show a video, have a little blurb, and have a "oh hey that's the exe we used I thought we burned all the evidence".

Certainly no one wants to play a horrible, buggy pre alpha mess. But it's not a game. It's a historical archive. :lol:
  16. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

It may sound harsh, but I demand a prototype and the promised cheap early early planet generator! I extra asked if we get that badass editor and it was meant we get it after some days.. :( It was also said, there will be already some playable things during december and I thought we get them. I know its not "the whole projet" and maybe even not worth to show or mention it, but well we all burn for every piece of update and testing around. Its not like the backers would leave you suddenly, we already trusted our money to you lol.
  17. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

playable things in december?
    I've dreamed of them. ;)
  18. tigerwarrior

tigerwarrior Active Member

weird, me too.
  19. adellrazh

adellrazh New Member

[​IMG]

Hrmm... I dreeeamed of this.