mini PA engine for fans

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by ozonexo3, January 23, 2013.

1. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

UPDATE http://ozonex.pl/planetaryannihilation/
    [​IMG][​IMG]

- Zooming in now rotate camera - this is still not working right, its rly hard to adjust :x
    - Added new bigger, green planet
    - Better asteroid physics
    - Better shaders and shadows
    - Strat icons are now not visible when the unit is covered by other planet
    - and... patiently look at asteroid :) (reminder: ESC - restart game)

and there is screen with my new idea, units can have lights on the dark side of planet :D
  2. felipec

felipec Active Member

wow very nice! Could you please make the strategic icons a bit transparent instead of removing them when they are behind the planet? That way we can see everything from distance.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The feeling of the camera as it zooms in is really great.
    Like really great.
  4. neroangelo

neroangelo New Member

Woo this is a great work you do :) .
  5. syox

syox Member

Thats really Great work!

Some more suggestions:
    -the rotationspeed with middle mousebutton should be in relation to the distance to the looked at planet. The further away the faster but if near slower
    or just make it angelbased.
  6. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

You should have a few ships flying from planet to planet
  7. Bouncer2000

Bouncer2000 Member

ozonexo3 you got to be **** kidding me. You are a genius. can't believe you are doing this in your spare-time. I know **** about programming, but I know it is no easy work. Awesome stuff so far. You seem like a one man army of programmers :) keep up the great work! hope uber can use your work. It is great to have you in this community my friend!
  8. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

You see how there's a blue ring around the planet? Make that part of the planet, for zooming purposes. It's a bit annoying that I need to point directly on the world, when I could very well be trying to focus on orbital units.

Also, using the scroll wheel to move around a world will take some tangential movement. I provided a pic, hope it helps.

Edit: That blue ring around the asteroid belt is really handy. Consider using that ring to allow camera rotation around the solar system.

Attached Files:

9. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

The whole team was looking at this today. Awesome job man!
    archcommander likes this.
  10. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

thank you guys, it really means a lot to me! :D I always wanted to work on that kind of game

For now im want to cleanup sources, and get this ready for "public" release before next PA Update (or during broadcast), to give people tool to test there ideas, becouse I'm not doing this for myself, i doing this to help you guys in PA! And the best way to test ideas is to make them working.
  11. thedbp

thedbp Member

but this is really just brilliant on so many levels.

this kind of stuff was in the end what I wanted to see from uber, just something to play around with about. Not necessarily with game-play and the such, just to see the progress.

but yeah great work, it's really good at showing what to expect once the game is out gets a good feel of the whole planetary overview and how the strategic zoom is going.
  12. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

I think maybe you should slow orbits and stuff a fair bit things seem to fly around far to quickly. Also scale down the asteroid a little maybe? Other than that awesome job mi amigo water planet next yeh? :p
  13. sstagg1

sstagg1 Member

First, let me tell you how awesome this is. Every update brings it closer to what I could imagine for PA.

Awesome:
    - Units
    - Unit icons
    - Zoom
    - Asteroid paht + trail (Uber, this should definitely be a thing in PA, as long as the ultimate destination were clear. Perhaps click on the asteroid to see destination/goal)

Some minor things, may be just me:
    - The 'night' sides of things are a little too dark
    - Speeds are opposite (generally should be moving faster close to sun, slower away, slightly dependant on mass as well)
    - the orbits are a little too close to the sun
    - The unit movement got killed (units walking, but not moving)
    - The shine on planets is a little too intense (with atmospheres, I imagine you could fade away the outer layer to lower the brightness)

This is new to me though, so perhaps I'm just picky.

EDIT: Only the commander on the large planet is not moving. They all work when I press space except for that one.
  14. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

space button is now not working, i want add camera rotation like in SupCom when close to the ground. Commander on big planet have 0 moving speed, thats why :D
    and planet positions, orbits, speed... you can set parameters according to your will :) every planet have distance from sun, mass (for gravity) move speed, and rotation speed.
  15. daemonicknight

daemonicknight New Member

16. sstagg1

sstagg1 Member

Well, yes. I dunno how I'd be able to play using that though :p. Every unit would just look like a light, I'd have no idea what I was fighting...

... unless that could be some intentional thing. Attacking in the dark to help mask your units. Even then, thermal optics would be more effective at night. That's assuming they aren't covering up their heat production.

Perhaps a new detection system: Thermal. Provides 'night vision' at night within its radius. Can also detect stealthy units that aren't blocking IR light. Can be avoided by using IR blocking units.

I get the whole custom planet settings, but I just find it a little unbelievable to see it in action :p

Perhaps once I've seen a planet with a moon with a moon with a moon I'll change my mind. That'd be pretty sweet.
  17. Consili

Consili Member

Wow this is some seriously impressive work! : D

Awesome ozonexo3!
  18. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

well... ok :) im working on a big update, but i can give there moon with moons, and even asteroid with moons! :cool:
  19. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

Realy good to hear that :D
  20. sstagg1

sstagg1 Member

:eek: , I was kidding :p. That's awesome.

TBH, somehow I think anything beyond planets with moons will break the game. The whole planet / moon interaction will become increasingly blurred once you have something that both orbits a planet, but is also a planet itself.

OR it'd just become more awesome as a result. I dunno.