RPS Interview with Jon Mavor

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by AraxisHT, January 25, 2013.

1. AraxisHT

AraxisHT Active Member

Last edited: January 25, 2013
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

It's a damn fine article for sure!

Mike
  3. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

4. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Yay press is fun.
  5. AraxisHT

AraxisHT Active Member

Says the guy who started an interview talking about how he hides from the press :lol:

Notmike
  6. neutrino

I'm embracing it now. You'll get sick of me soon, don't worry.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

IZ NOT POSSIBLE!

Mike
  8. thorneel

thorneel Member

So, you're aiming for a million units? Now that would be awesome!
  9. luukdeman111

luukdeman111 Member

That comment about sticking to a small team makes me wonder, is the release date going to change? Because I assume you can't spend 2,3 million dollars on a 12 man team in less than a year...
  10. syox

syox Member

I think that is definitely achievable, but imo the cloud is not the best way to do so.
  11. ultramarine777

ultramarine777 Member

I must say, as an amateur programmer, I want to live that programming life. Very interesting history you got.
    Last edited: January 26, 2013
  12. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

The money is going to get spent, between a decent salary, health care, retirement, paying for resources (space, power, computers, licenses) and so on, 2.3 mill may not cover the team for a year. Salary is only one portion of how much an employee cost.
  13. neutrino

This is only the advance team. The rest of the studio will be piling on, don't worry it's very very easy to spend money like this.

Also everyone should quit thinking they know what the budget is. The kickstarter raise is not the budget, they are different things.
  14. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

I think neutrino mentioned elsewhere in this forum that the kickstarter is mostly for promotion, 2 millions is only a small part of the budget.
  15. Daddie

Daddie Member

What I don't understand why 22cans blew their Kickstarter campaign after seeing how it is done by Uber.. I have been waiting for a Populous game also but 22cans is doing it wrong, updates are for "backers" only for example.. During the Kickstarter campaign I was not able to vent my concerns about Godus so I did not back it and will not pre-order it either!!

Right now Uber has nailed it concerning the community, managing expectations and give the feeling they know what we want.. Not some experiment based on an old game but a true successor! We want games that challenge us intellectually, not the changes like in SupCom2 like the change in resource management or the stupid tech-trees!
  16. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Bob and Jon have thoroughly proven they know how to operate a Kickstarter. They also seem to have a handle on how to run a company and make great games. I have been quite impressed with the both of them in my short time at Uber.
  17. neutrino

I appreciate it. Sorian is also kicking *** so far. He's got his fingers in so many more pies than AI...
  18. magicide1

magicide1 Member

Amen was the game I was most looking forward to back then. The story was more interesting than generic space marine kills stuff and the screen caps released made it look like a very interactive world (for the time). Was it Humongous getting out of hardcore games that killed it or was there trouble behind the scenes?

In any case that was a fascinating read, I hope we see more like it in the future.
  19. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

I think William is having a harder time reigning me in than finding things for me to do at this point :)
  20. Daddie

Daddie Member

Why does the title "American pie" pop into my mind? :mrgreen: