Orders as a First Class Entity

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Pawz, January 22, 2013.

1. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Dear UberEnt team,

I can't find confirmation of this anywhere, so I was wondering if I'm hoping up the wrong tree on this topic.

So straight up - are you guys working with orders as a first class entity, or are we still looking at the traditional style unit-gets-orders, unit blows up orders are lost paradigm?
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

It's been mentioned, but I've had a hard time finding them too.

Also... :backers lounge:
  3. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

I prefer asking questions that may be controversial / undecided / work in progress for the Uber team, here in the Backer's forum.
  4. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

This sort of thing isn't particularly radical or controversial compared to the stuff they show in their livestreams, which reach the eyes of non-backers as well.
  5. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

And yet, it's not a question that's been answered, or even spoken about yet. You would think it would have a fundamental impact on the way both the AI and the UI would function too.
  6. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

That is simply because we don't want to promise something and then not deliver.

Trust me, this topic has been discussed at length in the office.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I also thought there was a thread on it before, but I couldn't find it, it's also come up fairly often during other threads.

Mike
  8. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

I thought so too, but I didn't bother looking.
  9. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

If, ultimately, it's decided against by Uber... could you at least leave the possibility open for the modders to do it?
  10. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Yeah, I brought it up only because it was such a good concept but had never been confirmed (or denied). There was lots of discussion on how it could solve a number of issues, but I imagine it brings its own set of challenges as well.
  11. zordon

zordon Member

This was actually originally posted to reddit, wayyy back at the start of the ks.

12. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

I was sure there were huge threads about this, including one with this exact title. Where did it go?

If we haven't posted about this, then this abstraction stuff needs to get in this forum in a big way.
  13. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

It has had quite a bit of attention but it's spread across several threads on things like Zero-K features, Area Commands, Force Organisation, Confirmed Features (after the Reddit), etc. plus there's a wiki entry too.
  14. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

It's never been in confirmed status, and it seems obvious Uber is in the process of sorting out the UI and how it will interact with units.

Gathering from what Sorian said here I imagine the idea has been talked about, but the feasibility isn't clear yet.

Unmentioned as of yet is how much of the engine is already made - if it's not OFCE based, a rework would probably be a considerable amount of effort.

On the other hand, I believe you could manage to achieve the same effect by layering a 'smart AI' layer between the UI and the unit orders - the smart layer stores orders from the UI and issues direct orders to the units as necessary.
  15. coldboot

coldboot Active Member