Let's talk: Realistic Project Goals for PA

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by memorykill, January 22, 2013.

1. frnx

frnx New Member

Only thing I can think of is some kind of mod/expansion marketplace?
    Last edited: January 23, 2013
  2. insanityoo

insanityoo Member

My name is Ender, and I approve of this message.
  3. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

I am just imagining the money I could have potentially made selling my AI mod back in the day for even something like $0.99.
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Don't remind me......

Mike
  5. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

Dont do what stupid people do and say every downloaded copy is lost money because that is just wrong.
  6. godde

godde Well-Known Member

A market for user generated content could be really interesting.
    Lets say when you buy the game you get X amount of credit to buy custom generated content so naturally you can buy some extra mission, unit or mod or widget and such. Then the content creator get some money for people using credit buying his stuff.
    Have this sort of model been used in any other game?
  7. KNight

In theory it's not much different from the regualr Micro-transaction setup, except with user created content, which can be a nasty can of worms to deal with.

Mike
  8. godde

godde Well-Known Member

The difference is that it is the developers that make the content for Micro-transactions. They are setting up the game to make players pay up in the end.
    I'd rather compare it to making money off youtube.
    Hey! Alot of people are watching your videos. Here, have some of the money that we make from the ads next to your video.
    Hey! Alot of people are downloading your content. Here, have some of the money that we make when people buy credits to buy your content.
  9. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Or, it could be as simple as tournaments with money prizes.

I remember the vast amounts of rage generated by that one guy who tried to sell his mod.. Chris something? I can't even remember if it was Supcom or TA now...

You gotta face it though, people won't pay for mods, there's too much free stuff to make it worthwhile.

Mind you, if Uber allowed modders to submit an expansion pack for review & acceptance and made those available to all if they met the high standards required of a commercial expansion pack, I'd be interesting in buying something like that. Perhaps even something like a Summer of Code type competition to get the best out of the modding community and share the profits...
  10. KNight

The only real difference I see is how Uber pays out the money to the Modders, otherwise it's the same as regular micro-transactions for the Player. Really its just a more greedy system, where Uber only pays out "Popular" Modders.

Mike
  11. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Well arguably the players get a complete game and doesn't need to pay to win.
    Also I don't see anything wrong with a company releasing basically an engine and then allowing custom content to fill up that engine with actual games.
    Anyway. I'm not sure if I feel like starting another thread just from the few quotes in here but what Sorian and neutrino said sounds intriguing. I'm interested in what they actually have in mind.
  12. atua

atua Member

This could be similar to the content driven marketplace of TF2, where items are bling, not P2W.

And, taking into account Uber's interest in getting PA on Steam, I assume that they will use the current Steam micro-transaction delivery platform.

Edit:
    Also, I assume that this is backer only information, and should not be dessiminated.
  13. KNight

Micro-Transaction systems do not automatically make games P2W, its the items within that system that do that. Like I said, from the player perspective, the systems are the same aside from how the money gets to Modders.

Mike
  14. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I love all of the speculation. ;)

You guys know there are people who make their living making hats for TF2, right? I'm not suggesting we make hats but it does make you think.
  15. kmike13

kmike13 Member

Am I the only one who finds making hats in a video game for a living a little.... Strange?
  16. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Y'know what I'd find much more rewarding, in the case where some kind of financial gain is to be had?

An option to donate some / all the proceeds to further support of the game. And then a nice graph somewhere that outlines which mods garner the most financial support for the game. Total overall and total for the month.

That, and/or exclusive access to the development of the next expansion pack :)
  17. narthollis

narthollis New Member

Right now, (and probably only for right now) I want hats for my commander. I have no idea why but I just want that...
  18. KNight

19. narthollis

narthollis New Member

Nice, I just whipped this up to satisfy the ned.

Attached Files:

20. KNight

You forgot the Monocle, how tasteless of you ;p

Mike