Hate towards newer players.

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by Grec, December 21, 2010.

1. Grec

Grec New Member

I'm seeing this a lot in the game via voice chat and other places like in Gamefaqs. And I have this to say to anybody that insults newer players because they aren't playing well.

They know they're new and they're trying to improve. You're not the best player in the world and you have no right to harm this game's population by flaunting your amazing "skills". This game has a small community and the more people do that the more xenophobic we sound. That's all.
  2. grindout

grindout Member

Good point... I try to help people in games as long as people have mic's.

if they are a level 5 or something, they are new. Don't harp on them. They don't know the In's and outs of the game yet. I mean I still don't know them.
  3. harpy515

harpy515 New Member

I usually try to "encourage" people to switch off of assassin when they are going 0-19 consistently. I may use some choice words, but my intentions are good haha. I just feel like new players need to get good with a class like assault or gunner before they try to use a "special" class. Just my thoughts.
  4. rhineville

rhineville Member

I agree that outright bullying/insults is terrible. I do however can't stand the classic "I'm a level 1 so I'll play assassin 12 times in a row and never go for bots" situation so in any given game when I'm not in a party you'll hear me say;

"Guys we don't need 3 assassins on our team try to go for balance"
    "Ok NEWPLAYERX you might not want to be an assassin this time, it's a tough class and you should get used to the game with an assault or gunner for a bit"
    "OK (person who is at the bottom of the board as an assassin with kill and 20 deaths) the assassin's main goal is to kill bots, you might want to try doing that more."
    "Hey supports, hack turrets"
    "Hey supports, heal me when I'm about to die"
    "Hey supports, no real need to put your firebase right next to mine"

etc.

I don't hate new players, I just hate it when it's me and the Single Digit Squad against the world.
  5. OfficerFuttBuck

OfficerFuttBuck Active Member

I say spawn kill them till they quit :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  6. Grec

Grec New Member

I'm in love with your sig.

And ya doing stuff like this is good. I'd rather play as an easier class and not be frustrated if I were a noob. Those first impressions might make them think that this game has serious balance issues when it doesn't.
    Last edited: December 21, 2010
  7. ShockerGeneral

ShockerGeneral New Member

Haha - THIS...I seem to come up against high level players, clan members and forum goers and I wind up with all the low levels...bah

Probably only seems that way - Im sure I wind up on the giving end of a lot of unbalanced raping.

Love the new term tho - classic
  8. Grec

Grec New Member

Just got that. :lol:
  9. JON10395

JON10395 New Member

Actually when I play, I am partied up with 1-3 people (mostly All-Stars I have been playing with since day one). Lately, we have been making a point to "Adopt-a-Noob"** at least twice a week. We will find someone who has a mic, lower than level 40 and shows some promise and we will take them into the party and teach them the basics.

It has been working out very well and we have made some pretty cool friends. I suggest you guys try it AND encourage your "adoptees" to pay it forward.

**No disrespect to the noobs we have "adopted".
  10. JackTrips

JackTrips New Member

Independently from this, FULTONGORILLA and myself have been talking about doing this.

I stand by my statement that Jon Numbers is a community builder. Fantastic person to play with.
  11. HI IM SNARF

HI IM SNARF New Member

Guys, don't blame noobs for not attacking bots with assassin. The name is assassin. It suggests that it is a pro killing class. You all did the same thing when you were new and tried assassin for the first time.

Blame uber for giving everybody the wrong idea.
  12. Grec

Grec New Member

Ya, you gotta admit the first time you played and you looked at all those shiny classes the Assassin made you say "ohhh"
  13. ObiFett

ObiFett New Member

You are amazing for doing this. You have inspired me to try more things to build the community.
  14. XENONOX

XENONOX New Member

If this was China, I'm pretty sure there will zero tolerance to new players.

Amen.
  15. PsiDebby

PsiDebby New Member

I do not know, I think for those who played TF2 (I know this from a friend of mine), they also try to play the class like the Spy. It just doesn't work like that, as the Assassin also has different downsides to her such as the Cloak Humming and giving away your location more often than not.

As for newer players, I have no problem with them at all. I even kick myself for not reaching out to talk with others when I do play.
  16. Sah

Sah New Member

I've tried doing this with my fellow Mouskateers on two occasions. On both occasions, the newbies started stalking us past our level of comfort, and expected us to party with them whenever they saw us online. They also adopted the position that if we weren't willing to walk them hand in hand every single game, we were being A-holes. After about a week or so of this sort of behaviour, said newbies wrote MNC off and never returned. It all seemed like a useless waste of time and a grief-trap.

Needless to say, I will not be experimenting in this manner again. However, I am always available for advice in game-chat, and I always try to respond courteously to XBL messages, so hopefully my unwillngness to community-build will be overlooked :)
  17. TOM12121112

TOM12121112 New Member

SPARTER!!
  18. HI IM SNARF

HI IM SNARF New Member

Half the time I play, I'm helping newer guys with mics. Just the other day I was playing with another assassin and was explaining to him that killing pros is a secondary objective and killing bots is the first. Helped him a lot...cool guy.

The other half of the time I'm probably freaking people out and scaring them away from the game permanently.

Snarf: Oh wow guys, did you see that? Hey, everybody, is 24-14-1 a good score? Hey, look, (forgot his tag, so I'll call him Joe) Joe, do you like how amazing I did?

Joe: Dude you are really gay. You take the game way too seriously.

Snarf: No, you're gay because you suck at Monday Night Combat. You obviously have no life.

Oh, geeze. I'm one of those community killers. But it's pretty damn funny to get people all fired up over a simple video game.
  19. Immortal303

Immortal303 New Member

Anyone that hates on noobs really needs to get out more.

I usually don't talk a lot of trash. The only time I'll really bash players is when they're idle in the spawn room, or obviously helping out their split screen because they got separated.

Seriously, you don't see college athletes smack-talking or bashing elementary school kids on the playground. Hell, they might just grow up and kick your ***.
  20. m0nkeyb0y77

m0nkeyb0y77 New Member

I can confirm this. It was Jon's idea originally but it's quickly spreading to everyone else I play MNC with.

Oh, PikPik.....it helps if you don't flat out tell someone you're "adopting them". A little tact buddy. :lol: