Help a poor white guy fix his computer

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by thetrollingking, January 20, 2013.

1. thetrollingking

thetrollingking New Member

Hey y'all, was wondering if anyone could help me with fixing my pc. I've had this computer since march 2011 and have had to fix it once already. That was back in November 2011, so now it has no warrantly. I think the main issue is with the hard disk or the system power, i.e. my wattage can't handle the games im playing. Here's the issue: When I try to play games, my computer shuts down, no warning or anything. It isn't hot, the HD isn't full or even halfway near being full, all my drivers are updated, and i've already tried rolling back on some.

I've tried some back ups and restores, deleting useless data, and making new profiles, but none has worked. If I can, I want to be able to fix my computer without spending any $. If anyone has any good solutions, i'd love to hear them. If I can't fix it within like a weeks time, i'll probably just give in and send it in for a fix or look for better computers.

Specs:
    Lenovo i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz 8 Gigs RAM Windows 7 64 Bit OS AMD Radeon HD 6550M
  2. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

Maybe your PC shuts down because it's overheating?
  3. IncredibleBran

IncredibleBran Member

Did you get a new graphics card? They are usually the main reason you don't have enough watts to do stuff, think you need a new power supply.
  4. thetrollingking

Didn't get a new graphics card. I might look for a new power supply if anything.
  5. mistermaf

mistermaf Active Member

See signature - I just had this issue myself. The power supply was failing. Eventually it got bonkered completely and I couldn't even get past POST without cutting out.

Try disconnecting non-essential components and seeing if the problem persists. This can mean taking out your video card, disconnecting the power on any CD drives or other things, etc. If the problem disappears, it means that your system's power load is too high for your power supply. If it continues, it probably just means your power supply is failing. You will want to fix it soon or your registry might become corrupted from the computer constantly turning off without warning. That happened to me and I had to completely reinstall Windows (which involved ordering a whole new copy because my Macbook ate my existing one and it would cost in the neighborhood of $600 to get the CD drive fixed and retrieve the disc - also **** Apple's repair policies).

If you have access to another computer's power supply, you can try swapping them to see if anything changes.

Check your power supply model and then check up on the manufacturer's website to see if it's still covered by a warranty. I got my computer a couple years ago but my PSU was still covered by Corsair, so I just filed an RMA and got a replacement. Only expense was shipping.

the other possible issue that could be a symptom of is damage to your motherboard so let's hope its not that
    its probably your psu though
  6. hotcakes

hotcakes New Member

6550M probably denotes that it's a laptop, broski.

Have you tried running a different operating system?

Also Maf the registry doesn't just randomly crap itself. If it did, Windows 7 comes with standard backups in the system32/config/regback folder that you can copy-pasta with the help of the Windows 7 disc or any distro that you can move files with. It might've been HDD failure, which you can usually fix by running chkdsk. Also lol @ $600 to repair a disc drive, would cost me $20 to swap it with a new one since I don't have such proprietary computers.
  7. thetrollingking

Indeed. I prefer playing on a laptop for now until I can get a desktop

I actually have not, mostly because from the searching I've done most people haven't recommended doing that. I'll have to try that when I get the chance.
  8. thetrollingking

OK I did a chkdsk and I think that fixed it. Thanks outlaw!
  9. hotcakes

hotcakes New Member

Was QQing at Maf, but okay.
  10. thetrollingking

JK the **** is still shutting off randomly. Made me so mad today that i'm probably just going to get the thing replaced.
  11. hotcakes

hotcakes New Member

What is the temperature of the laptop when you play games? You can measure it with Speccy or something of the sort.
  12. thetrollingking

Well...this is embarrasing...

[​IMG]

I don't understand why it says its so hot. I have a fan right under it and I have the fan on my room always on when playing. Oh and this screenshot is without playing any games
  13. poiuasd

A thorough cleaning should drop those temps.
  14. thetrollingking

Do you mean opening up and clean it? Because I did many other things to clean the disk, like Defragging it, deleting rarely used files, backing it up, and CHKDSKing. I could try that as well tho.
  15. poiuasd

Yep, like vacuuming it of dust etc. That's something you should do regularly. If you've never done it before you should search for some guides on how to do it properly and without breaking anything.
  16. kaien

kaien Member

^or leave it to a professional. A simple clean up should be around $40 at max. You can also ask them to reapply thermal paste to your CPU and GPU to help disperse the heat a bit more.

Also, I know you said you have a fan underneath the laptop but I'm not sure if you're talking about a cooling pad - if not, you could try one of these: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=3486

In the end, you're definitely not fixing this for free but it's better than wasting $400 to have it repaired when the chips are all roasted.
  17. hotcakes

hotcakes New Member

Google some disassembly instructions for your laptop to see if you can get direct access to the fans. Clean it out with canned air or vacuum it out if you are ballsy and do not care about static electricity damage.

Laptop's shutting off because it's over operating conditions when it's playing games.
  18. thetrollingking

SUCCESS! I got to clean out my Computer and clean my desk as well. Thank you all very much!

Attached Files:

19. hotcakes

hotcakes New Member

Thank you for using UberEnt tech support!
  20. IncredibleBran

IncredibleBran Member