Command Line Support for Dedicated Servers Update 3 Features

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Dedicated Server Discussion' started by Ekanaut, December 21, 2010.

1. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

Hi all,

For those of you that have tried running Dedicated Servers through a command line, can you post how you're doing and what problems you're running into.

EDIT: Here's what's been added to Update #3

Command Line Info
    Run as batch file
    Map list editable within \MyDocuments\My Games\UnrealEngine3\HostileGame\Config\HostileMapList.ini
    Full Command Line below has every possible option
    All options within full command line not guaranteed to actually do anything
    Recommended command line contains only the options most users would wish to modify

Recommend Command Line
    Server HostileLobby?game=HostileGame.HGameInfo_PreGameLobby?bAllowJuicePurch=True?bAllowBotPurch=True?bAllowHazards=True?bAllowMascot=True?bAllowCustomClass=True?bAllowChangeClass=True?bForceRndClass=False?bIsLanMatch=False?bIsDedicated=True?MatchDuration=2?OTDuration=2?ClassLimitAssault=6?ClassLimitTank=6?ClassLimitSupport=6?ClassLimitAssassin=6?ClassLimitGunner=6?ClassLimitSniper=6?ServerDescription="Server Name With Spaces" -log=DedicatedServer.log

Full Command Line
    Server HostileLobby?game=HostileGame.HGameInfo_PreGameLobby?bAllowJuicePurch=True?bAllowBotPurch=True?bAllowHazards=True?bAllowMascot=True?bAllowCustomClass=True?bAllowChangeClass=True?bForceRndClass=False?bCustomGame=True?NumPublicConnections=12?NumPrivateConnections=0?NumOpenPublicConnections=0?NumOpenPrivateConnections=0?bUsePeerNetwork=True?bCreateHost=True?bShouldAdvertise=True?bIsLanMatch=False?bUsesStats=True?bAllowJoinInProgress=True?bAllowInvites=False?bUsesPresence=False?bAllowJoinViaPresence=False?bAllowJoinViaPresenceFriendsOnly=False?bUsesArbitration=False?bAntiCheatProtected=False?bIsDedicated=True?OwningPlayerName=?PingInMs=0?MatchQuality=0.000000?GameState=OGS_NoSession?MapName=0?MatchDuration=2?OTDuration=2?ClassLimitAssault=6?ClassLimitTank=6?ClassLimitSupport=6?ClassLimitAssassin=6?ClassLimitGunner=6?ClassLimitSniper=6?ServerDescription="Server Name With Spaces" -log=DedicatedServer.log

New Admin Features:

There is a new file HostileAccess.ini. This should be generated in your My Docs\My Games\UE3\HostileGame\Config folder after the first time you run the game with the new update.
    In this file you can define an admin password for your servers:

[Engine.AccessControl]
    AdminPassword=YOURPASSWORD

Once this password is defined, anyone who knows it can login with admin privs and do some neat stuff:

~ opens the console

~ adminlogin <password> - grants admin privleges

Admins can:
    ~ adminkick <playername | playernumber> - Kicks players from the game. This is a warning, they can log right back in.
    ~ adminkickban <playername | playernumber> - Kicks player and bans them both by SteamID and by IP address.

Additionally, everyone can:
    ~ playerlist - Display everyone in the game. The short number can be used for kicking/banning players with a name that's difficult to type. The long number is a 64 bit representation of the steamID. This can be plugged into the HostileAccess.ini file for manual banning.
  2. nastjuid

nastjuid New Member

Re: Command Line Support for Dedicated Servers Discussion

I launch mine with this batch file:

Code:
    @echo off
    cls
    echo Protecting MNC from crashes...
    title MNC watchdog
    :MNC
    echo (%date%) (%time%) MNC DS started.
    cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\monday night combat\Binaries\Win32"
    MNC.exe Server HostileLobby?game=HostileGame.HGameInfo_PreGameLobby?bAllowJuicePurch=False?bAllowBotPurch=True?bAllowHazards=True?bAllowMascot=True?bAllowCustomClass=True?bAllowChangeClass=True?bForceRndClass=False?bCustomGame=True?NumPublicConnections=16?NumPrivateConnections=0?NumOpenPublicConnections=16?NumOpenPrivateConnections=0?bUsePeerNetwork=True?bCreateHost=True?bShouldAdvertise=True?bIsLanMatch=False?bUsesStats=True?bAllowJoinInProgress=True?bAllowInvites=True?bUsesPresence=True?bAllowJoinViaPresence=True?bAllowJoinViaPresenceFriendsOnly=False?bUsesArbitration=False?bAntiCheatProtected=True?bIsDedicated=True?OwningPlayerName=Nastjuid?PingInMs=0?MatchQuality=0.000000?GameState=OGS_NoSession?MapName=0?MatchDuration=4?OTDuration=0?ClassLimitAssault=6?ClassLimitTank=6?ClassLimitSupport=6?ClassLimitAssassin=2?ClassLimitGunner=6?ClassLimitSniper=6?ServerDescription="West Coast Durp" -log=DedicatedServer.log -SeekFreeLoading
    goto MNC

I was hoping changing the open connection options to 16 would squeeze more people in the server, but it didn't work. Server still runs though. I set what looks like a per team assassin limit to 2, don't know if that works cause I'm still at the office.

The console is pretty noisy. Is there an option that can suppress messages that aren't in the critical stream like the log messages?

I haven't had any process crashes, so the system is pretty stable. I can try anything you might need, just let me know on steam.
  3. dustoff

dustoff New Member

Right now I have most problems sorted out except for one box that wont launch the (Its ok that box is getting replaced).

Would be nice if we did not have to have steam running, Right now the only way for thouse of us with dedicated boxes (boxes hosted in Data centers) is to leave remote desktop open and logged in to steam. This makes running the game through Tcadmin hard to do.

would be nice to be able to change settings in a config or ini file also , if you try to edit the ones now the server wont start.

The server its self seems to run fine.

Ports where the issue and not knowing port 27015 was used , most ut servers use 7701.
  4. faits

faits New Member

I've been running a server almost constantly since noon yesterday. Yesterday I launched it with a batch file that's much simpler than the one nastjuid posted there, basically just the change directory and then mnc.exe and all the variables that follow. Running it from my home machine through a router with the ports forwarded.

Nobody was on the server this morning, so I launched a new one through the game client to change some options (reduced the allowable number of assassins because I had some frustrating games where everyone chose assassin.) It's been running without a hitch ever since.

core2quad 2.4ghz
    8mb ram
    vista x64
  5. dustoff

dustoff New Member

That would be number one thing would being able to change things with out having to resort to the above.
    These things need the ability to be change in cfg file instead of the command line.

bAllowJuicePurch=False

bAllowBotPurch=True
    bAllowHazards=True
    bAllowMascot=True
    bAllowCustomClass=True
    bAllowChangeClass=True
    bForceRndClass=False
    bCustomGame=True
    NumPublicConnections=12
    NumPrivateConnections=0
    NumOpenPublicConnections=0
    NumOpenPrivateConnections=0
    bUsePeerNetwork=True?
    CreateHost=True?
    ShouldAdvertise=True
    bIsLanMatch=False
    bUsesStats=True
    bAllowJoinInProgress=True
    bAllowInvites=True
    bUsesPresence=True
    bAllowJoinViaPresence=True
    bAllowJoinViaPresenceFriendsOnly=False
    bUsesArbitration=False
    bAntiCheatProtected=True
    bIsDedicated=True
    OwningPlayerName=
    MapName=0
    MatchDuration=4
    OTDuration=0
    ClassLimitAssault=6
    ClassLimitTank=6
    ClassLimitSupport=6
    ClassLimitAssassin=2
    ClassLimitGunner=6
    ClassLimitSniper=6
    ServerDescription=

fyi server seems to be running pretty lean 10-13% cpu usage on a quadcore setup. The server is set to use two cores. Using about 247 mb of ram and on a 1gig connection using about .15% or around 1 to 1.5 mb.

Just remember that all people hosting on dedcated boxes wont have fancy video cards.
  6. Haxim

Haxim Member

I'm currently trying to launch a dedicated server using the following command line:
    Code:
    "c:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\monday night combat\binaries\Win32\MNC.exe" Server HostileLobby?game=HostileGame.HGameInfo_PreGameLobby?bAllowJuicePurch=True?bAllowBotPurch=True?bAllowHazards=True?bAllowMascot=True?bAllowCustomClass=True?bAllowChangeClass=True?bForceRndClass=False?bCustomGame=True?NumPublicConnections=12?NumPrivateConnections=0?NumOpenPublicConnections=0?NumOpenPrivateConnections=0?bUsePeerNetwork=True?bCreateHost=True?bShouldAdvertise=True?bIsLanMatch=False?bUsesStats=True?bAllowJoinInProgress=True?bAllowInvites=False?bUsesPresence=False?bAllowJoinViaPresence=False?bAllowJoinViaPresenceFriendsOnly=False?bUsesArbitration=False?bAntiCheatProtected=False?bIsDedicated=True?OwningPlayerName=?PingInMs=0?MatchQuality=0.000000?GameState=OGS_NoSession?MapName=0?MatchDuration=2?OTDuration=2?ClassLimitAssault=6?ClassLimitTank=6?ClassLimitSupport=6?ClassLimitAssassin=6?ClassLimitGunner=6?ClassLimitSniper=6?ServerDescription=083000104000097000099000107000087000101000115000116000032000068000101000100000105000099000097000116000101000100000 -log=DedicatedServer.log -SeekFreeLoading -DEFENGINEINI=..\..\HostileGame\Config\DefaultEngineSteamworks.ini
    I got the command line by starting a dedicated server locally and then looking at the Init: Command line:" value in C:\Users\Username\Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\HostileGame\Logs\DedicatedServer.log
    The server seems to start OK, but the first person to connect to it gets stuck on the loading screen, and any subsequent connection attempts for any other players just error out with "Could not connect to host". The server also requires you to be logged in to steam to launch, although it does seem to be launchable with steam in offline mode (but the owning player is set to "Another Server" in the server browser).
    Trying to run the server on Win7 32bit.
  7. the_Monk

the_Monk New Member

^^^^^^ I am experiencing the EXACT same issue as Haxim except I am running Win7 64bit

By the way:

- vanilla OS install
    - windows firewall OFF
    - NO security software installed
    - first tried with the appropriate ports forwarded through router and then placed the system in the DMZ as a last resort

Viper one-two calling no-joy....repeat.....no-joy!
  8. jeeringsole

jeeringsole New Member

I two am having the same exact issue as Haxim. I have this server running on it's own IP address, as I do have some source servers running. I did stop all of them to test it out, and still no good. Player connects --> and sits on load screen. It says player join successful. I don't get it, firewall open, other processes stopped.

I am attempting to run on a windows server 2003 standard x64 system.
  9. dustoff

dustoff New Member

People having problems with the server hang issue. Are you trying to launch the server on the same copy of the game except a different steam log in ? I think you have to buy a copy for the server and make sure you use the steam login account you bought the game.

I went back to the first box I tried that was giving me this error and deleted steam , the game direct x etc and cleaned the registry (had to make it look like the game was never installed . Did a fresh install using the steam account I bought a copy of the game for and it worked. I had originally used my home log in to create the game and then tried logging in under my servers steam log in. Thats when I started getting that error. When I did a fresh install to another box using the account for the server and the one I bought a second copy of the game with everything runs fine.

I do believe steam has tied something to the game seeing how its beta and only pre-orders can play the beta.

For my last test I went to my Chicago box and started the game using a login for steam on that box (no game bought). The server would show up ,over riding the listing for the Dallas box but hang on first person enter, Shut down the Dallas box for a second and logged in to steam with the correct account and every thing worked.

Can the developers confirm this .
  10. racquemis

racquemis New Member

i ran a test server on the same game with a new steam account that did not own the game, the server just filled up fine. Win7 X64 also
  11. silience

silience New Member

I use a .bat file with the following:

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\monday night combat\Binaries\Win32"
    MNC.exe Server HostileLobby?game=HostileGame.HGameInfo_PreGameLobby?bAllowJuicePurch=TruebAllowBotPurch=True?bAllowHazards=True?bAllowMascot=True?bAllowCustomClass=True?bAllowChangeClass=True?bForceRndClass=False?bCustomGame=True?NumPublicConnections=12?NumPrivateConnections=0?NumOpenPublicConnections=0?NumOpenPrivateConnections=0?bUsePeerNetwork=True?bCreateHost=True?bShouldAdvertise=True?bIsLanMatch=False?bUsesStats=True?bAllowJoinInProgress=True?bAllowInvites=False?bUsesPresence=False?bAllowJoinViaPresence=False?bAllowJoinViaPresenceFriendsOnly=False?bUsesArbitration=False?bAntiCheatProtected=False?bIsDedicated=True?OwningPlayerName=?PingInMs=0?MatchQuality=0.000000?GameState=OGS_NoSession?MapName=0?MatchDuration=2?OTDuration=2?ClassLimitAssault=6?ClassLimitTank=6?ClassLimitSupport=6?ClassLimitAssassin=6?ClassLimitGunner=6?ClassLimitSniper=6?ServerDescription=Silience Dedicated -log=DedicatedServer.log -SeekFreeLoading

I also configured port forwarding in my router as per Shadow's Post.
    Though the Server Description comes up Silience in the browser, not sure if I need "'s or not. I have to yet test that. Mostly I'd like some more utility for hosting. Perhaps this is not what you're asking for, but I wouldn't mind the following:

Being able to spectate (even when server has max players)
    Kick/Mute/Gag/Ban options
    Message upon joining the server
    Change Map Options
    A status command of some sort to associate either IDs to IPs to Player names
    Change players from one team to another (or add an auto balance feature) I've seen a few games go way lopsided after 2 people quit the other team.

Perhaps in the server browser an option to view game information, i.e. what players are playing, one similiar to the TF2 one would be awesome. Otherwise like the ohters said it's very resource light and I'm actually able to run the server dedicated then join it through my own Monday Night Combat client....though I need to restart the server to even get a slot =0

-=- Silience -=-
    Last edited: December 21, 2010
  12. Diablohead

Diablohead New Member

I have hanging troubles on win7 64bit also, maybe this is part of the hosting problem?
  13. Torinir

Torinir New Member

I'd love to see an implementation of WebAdmin for MNC. The Unreal Engine supports web-based server administration, which would make it easier for server operators who aren't familiar with console admin (and even those who are) to easily change settings and control access even when not at the server, or in game.

Console admin needs to be enabled. Badly. As seen in other threads, it's getting to the point where it's required now that HelioS and his junk have entered the picture.

Steam names should also be placed in the player name section of the HostileGame.ini file instead of the placeholder "Player" for identification purposes.
  14. Haxim

Haxim Member

Here's the server output when someone tries to connect to the server for the first time but gets stuck on 'loading'.

Code:
    DevNet: NotifyAcceptingConnection: Server TheWorld accept
    NetComeGo: Open TheWorld 12/21/10 10:16:48 CONNECTINGCLIENTIP:47135
    DevNet: NotifyAcceptingChannel Control 0 server World HostileLobby.TheWorld: Accepted
    Log: Client netspeed is 10000
    DevNet: Login request: HostileEntry?Name=Player?team=0
    DevOnline: OnGSClientApprove - ClientId:33323016
    DevNet: Got OnlineSubsystem Auth callback 33323016I64 17825793
    DevNet: OnlineSubsystem auth accepted connection CONNECTINGCLIENTIP CONNECTINGCLIENTIP:47135 state: Open
    DevOnline: Aproving player at Steam's request. id: [1]
    DevOnline: Refreshing published game settings...
    DevOnline: Basic server data: 5052, TRUE, 255, Hostile Game, 12, TRUE, sp, HostileLobby, 0, 0, HGameInfo_PreGameLobby
    DevOnline: Advertising: SteamEngineVersion=5697I64
    DevOnline: Advertising: OwningPlayerId=75101536I64
    DevNet: Join request: HostileEntry?Name=Player?team=0
    DevNet: Join succeeded: Player
    Also, the DedicatedServer.log file just seems to arbitrarily 'stop' around the time the first player connects. I often see lines like
    Code:
    DevOnline: Created Join in progress beacon (LobbyJIPBeacon) on port (8675) for session (Game)
    DevNet: NotifyAcceptingConnection: S
    or
    Code:
    DevNet: NotifyAcceptingConnection: Server TheWorld accept
    NetComeGo:
  15. jeeringsole

jeeringsole New Member

Alright
    Ok so I got this to work, I used to get clients stick on load screens.

I used the above code, obviously adjusting the server description. I logged into steam (you cannot use offline mode! It looks like it'll work but it does not!)
    You then start the batch file, or put the code into the command line. Once you do that you DO NOT log out of steam, but you go back to your computer, and log back into your account. A steam login error message will come up in the steam window. DO NOT close it, or hit cancel, just ignore it. This will allow your server to continue to run, and allow you to login to steam on your desktop, without needing to buy two copies of the game.
  16. dustoff

dustoff New Member

server working pretty good after second (3rd) patch.

A few tings I noticed is that my server console is showing 27 players right now. also the lobby always shows the first map.

had one hard crash but I think the server box it self had a crash.

My only problem right now is I cant get in to my own server to play .

would be nice to be able to start a second , third of fourth server.
  17. kabraxisx

kabraxisx New Member

Using:

Code:
    "e:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\monday night combat\binaries\Win32\MNC.exe" Server HostileLobby?game=HostileGame.HGameInfo_PreGameLobby?bAllowJuicePurch=True?bAllowBotPurch=True?bAllowHazards=True?bAllowMascot=True?bAllowCustomClass=True?bAllowChangeClass=True?bForceRndClass=False?bCustomGame=True?NumPublicConnections=12?NumPrivateConnections=0?NumOpenPublicConnections=0?NumOpenPrivateConnections=0?bUsePeerNetwork=True?bCreateHost=True?bShouldAdvertise=True?bIsLanMatch=False?bUsesStats=True?bAllowJoinInProgress=True?bAllowInvites=False?bUsesPresence=False?bAllowJoinViaPresence=False?bAllowJoinViaPresenceFriendsOnly=False?bUsesArbitration=True?bAntiCheatProtected=True?bIsDedicated=True?OwningPlayerName=?PingInMs=0?MatchQuality=0.000000?GameState=OGS_NoSession?MapName=0?MatchDuration=2?OTDuration=2?ClassLimitAssault=6?ClassLimitTank=6?ClassLimitSupport=6?ClassLimitAssassin=6?ClassLimitGunner=6?ClassLimitSniper=6?ServerDescription="Enmity Dedicated" -log=DedicatedServer.log -SeekFreeLoading -DEFENGINEINI=..\..\HostileGame\Config\DefaultEngineSteamworks.ini
    After the game ends, where it says who wins, everyone is kicked from the server. When is admin commands going to be opened?
  18. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

admin commands in the next build.
  19. Torinir

Torinir New Member

\o/
  20. Genocidal

Genocidal New Member

Are Linux server files being worked on? I understand it's not something that can happen overnight, but at least knowing that you do or don't plan on supporting Linux dedicated servers would help out a lot of us server owners, especially ones with communities waiting to come over.